News:

For returning members: As Asmodean noted, when he repaired the site after a recent downtime "the local avatars got nuked." If you need any assistance with getting your avatar back, please post in the Ask HAF board.

Main Menu

Suicidal atheists.

Started by jumbojak, August 16, 2012, 10:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

As someone who deals with depression, and suicidal thoughts, I have recently joined a support forum. Much to my suprise, there are quite a few atheists on the board. I guess my suprise is unwarranted, ( crazy people come from all walks of life ) however I was shocked to hear that most find that life is even worse without a God watching over them.

In my case it's exactly the opposite: the idea that there is no cosmic overlord is one of the few things in life that gives me a sense of peace. The idea that we aren't accountable to some higher power, and that the choices we make in life are really our own brings me a greater feeling of joy than anything I have experienced thus far. It's better than sex, if you can believe that.

When I encounter atheists who can't seem to cope with their new freedom, I'm at a loss. The handful of other atheists on the board always recommend that the new guy read Richard Dawkins, and I can tell you from personal experience that Dawkins is not the kind of writing a disturbed mind needs to be introduced to.

I try to point them to more positive authors and speakers. Shelly Kagan in particular has been a great aid to me, and I'm wondering if anyone else has some suggestions. It's just too much to ask a suicidal person to read about the pointless indifference of the world. What seems to be needed is a more cheerfull sense of non-belief. Any ideas?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz