News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

RavingAtheists.com

Started by Dark Lightning, October 20, 2021, 05:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFightSong

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 28, 2022, 02:20:21 AM
I'd like to know what in the actual fuck this screed has to do with that website's disappearance from the internet.  :query:
This "screed" is a response to what Icarus said. Not to talk about the RavingAtheists.com website. But I will say that website's disappearance might have something to do with its owner(s) lacking money, motivation, members, etc.

Icarus

Damn!  Whatever it was that I said, was certainly not intended to upset Fightsong. 

Maybe we can all work together to persuade her that things are not as bad as she believes.  Let us view the positive side for a moment.  We are among friends here at HAF.  I will go out a limb here and claim that we actually care about one another. Review the outpouring compassion for Dave and Randy for example.

This is a mean old world that is full of cruelty, treachery, greed, and dishonesty.  That I acknowledge.  But take a look at some of our forum's many photo submissions.  Can we not find beauty and hope in some of the marvelous photos from our members. There is beauty and hope everywhere if we will only choose to see it. We are, as far as I can tell, sufficiently nourished with food, have a shelter to allow us to sleep in some degree of comfort, and we have other people who truly care for, even love us. Sadly, some of us may not have the good fortune to recognize those gifts.

To live a reasonably happy and tranquil existence, you must believe that your cup is at least half full.

These notes may be mere pablum for some people.  I do care for them and wish for them to join me in gratitude for whatever blessings that we still have. 

Davin

I don't know man, things are about as bad as all that. But I think there are better and healthier ways to deal with things. Maybe this is TheFightSong's place to relieve the stresses of life or maybe they are simply a troll parroting a straw anti-fascist for giggles.

Hopefully their life and mental health is not nearly as bad as it appears in this one dimension of their life that we're exposed to.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on February 12, 2022, 05:32:22 AM
Damn!  Whatever it was that I said, was certainly not intended to upset Fightsong. 

Some people just go around looking to be offended. They thrive on hatred and perceived slights. Given multiple interpretations they will fall on the one related to their agenda like a priest on a virgin choir boy. In your 90+ years of life you must have come across people like this?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheFightSong

Quote from: Icarus on February 12, 2022, 05:32:22 AM

Maybe we can all work together to persuade her that things are not as bad as she believes.  Let us view the positive side for a moment.  We are among friends here at HAF.  I will go out a limb here and claim that we actually care about one another. Review the outpouring compassion for Dave and Randy for example.

This is a mean old world that is full of cruelty, treachery, greed, and dishonesty.  That I acknowledge.  But take a look at some of our forum's many photo submissions.  Can we not find beauty and hope in some of the marvelous photos from our members. There is beauty and hope everywhere if we will only choose to see it. We are, as far as I can tell, sufficiently nourished with food, have a shelter to allow us to sleep in some degree of comfort, and we have other people who truly care for, even love us. Sadly, some of us may not have the good fortune to recognize those gifts.

To live a reasonably happy and tranquil existence, you must believe that your cup is at least half full.

These notes may be mere pablum for some people.  I do care for them and wish for them to join me in gratitude for whatever blessings that we still have. 

Considering misogynistic religions with scriptures promoting slavery are worth trillions of dollars, I have no hope for humanity. Especially when I became an anti-religion atheist.

Considering people are not stopping evil leaders that profit from endless wars, I have no hope for humanity. Especially when I am anti-war and anti-military because those things cause toxic masculinity. Toxic masculinity is typically known for causing misogyny, sociopathy, psychopathy, sadism, antisocial personality disorder, criminal behavior, rapes, mental illnesses, etc. Which countries that are peaceful and not influenced by a military culture tend to have happier people with less mental illnesses, sociopathy, psychopathy, crimes, rapes, etc.

Considering people are not stopping sweatshops enough, I have no hope for humanity in regards to ethics. Especially when I try to encourage people to stop financially supporting sweatshops.

Considering people are allowing mainstream media to turn females into insecure consumers for profit, I have no hope for humanity. Especially when I started to save money or try using it for ethical causes rather than support this profitable misogyny in the advertising industry.

Considering more countries are causing Orwellian online surveillance and anti-intellectualism via social credit scores for example, I have no hope for humanity. Especially when I try to encourage people to protect their online anonymity and privacy while encouraging freethought as much as possible.

Considering most people contribute to increasing global warming via the meat and dairy industries, I have no hope for humanity. Especially when I try to get organic meat and dairy from the most humane companies.

Considering more businesses have degenerated in regards to hospitality, customer support service, professionalism, and competence, I have no hope for humanity. Especially when I try to stop corrupt elites from degenerating businesses and humanity. But the corrupt elites continue keeping most people subordinated intellectually, physically, financially, politically, etc. through wage slavery, sweatshop trafficking, high taxes to prevent purchasing power for economic freedom, Orwellian online surveillance, central bank cartels, and the cut-throat military-industrial complex designed to keep ultra-wealthy men wealthier and more powerful than most people, especially black females who are atheists.

Ever heard of a black female atheist be the ruler of her own country? Me, neither. There is a reason for black female atheists not being known for being leaders. This is caused by internalized misogyny in the political world and when many countries are ruled by cut-throat men. Internalized misogyny in advertising, marketing, and the beauty industry does not help to remove patriarchy entirely, either.

More black people started to become religious after the black slave trade. The white and black slavers were Christians and Muslims. Christianity and Islam have scriptures that represent slavery. The black slaves started following slavery-promoting religions from their white and black slavers. More black people are becoming nonreligious again. But it is hard to do that when racist Hollywood, corrupt politicians, and systemic favoritism for religious grifting in powerful countries like America exist. So, black people have a hard time getting the incentive to be nonreligious when herd mentality and status quo all exist.

Black characters are usually treated like side-kicks or comic relief characters to make white characters look better in mainstream media. Which is why The Joker, Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, and other well-known characters are originally and usually white. This is why black entertainers have a harder time gaining fame, money, respect, and diverse roles in the entertainment industry. People praising "Gone with the Wind" insults the black community. The reason why "Gone with the Wind" was successful came from people not having much options to choose from in movie theatres decades ago. America's economy wasn't the best when "Gone with the Wind" got released publicly in movie theatres. If you really analyze "Gone with the Wind", it is a mediocre soap opera that dehumanizes black characters by giving this sentiment towards slavery as if slaves want to be enslaved. Scarlett O'Hara was an evil opportunist who selfishly ruined people's lives even after her daughter died. Rhett Butler was a cut-throat sociopath or borderline sociopath that successfully manipulated people like pawns for his selfish agenda. His weakness was Scarlett O'Hara and his daughter Bonnie. Bonnie died and Scarlett O'Hara remained the evil opportunist. Meanwhile, Mammy somehow acts all supportive to these vile characters. Black characters continue acting supportive to white characters regardless of these white characters' moral compasses or lack thereof usually in mainstream media. It's why I have no hope for humanity. And it's why I have to look harder when finding entertainment.

Until things change, I see humanity as a plague where decency is harder to find than ugliness, greed, dishonesty, war, death, poverty, misery, sweatshops, global warming, mental illnesses, sociopathy, psychopathy, sadism, sexual abuse, misogyny, misandry, etc. I don't want beauty if it comes from anorexia, eating disorders, plastic surgery contributing to global warming, pain, suffering, soul-selling, etc.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Come on folks, we have paragraph breaks now. Seriously, I think that is an excellent development, and promising.

TheFightSong:     :brava:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

Quote from: TheFightSong on February 12, 2022, 03:56:38 PM
People praising "Gone with the Wind" insults the black community. The reason why "Gone with the Wind" was successful came from people not having much options to choose from in movie theatres decades ago. America's economy wasn't the best when "Gone with the Wind" got released publicly in movie theatres. If you really analyze "Gone with the Wind", it is a mediocre soap opera that dehumanizes black characters by giving this sentiment towards slavery as if slaves want to be enslaved. Scarlett O'Hara was an evil opportunist who selfishly ruined people's lives even after her daughter died. Rhett Butler was a cut-throat sociopath or borderline sociopath that successfully manipulated people like pawns for his selfish agenda. His weakness was Scarlett O'Hara and his daughter Bonnie. Bonnie died and Scarlett O'Hara remained the evil opportunist. Meanwhile, Mammy somehow acts all supportive to these vile characters. Black characters continue acting supportive to white characters regardless of these white characters' moral compasses or lack thereof usually in mainstream media. It's why I have no hope for humanity. And it's why I have to look harder when finding entertainment.

gone with the wind was a classic movie about a dysfunctional society that it tried to elevate to an epic pedestal. when they made it the american white south was still explicitly glorifying what it lost at the expense of all the black people who were ground into the dirt under the weight of its injustice.

still a benchmark movie, but you have to suspend so much of your own moral sense to watch it without cringing that i dont try. i recommend that people watch it for its technical achievements, but to keep its moral failings in mind the whole time.

this period teaser is instructive

^^^complete non-recognition of the reasons behind the conflict, the pillars that supported the failing culture, or of the role of the black people in maintaining it or any understanding that a large part of the population-- the slaves themselves-- might have seen the culture or its end in a different light.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

Maybe it is a good idea not to give a damn about things you are not able to change anyway. Quite often people just take all the world problems on their shoulders and just feel miserable all the time.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on February 13, 2022, 09:27:21 AM
Maybe it is a good idea not to give a damn about things you are not able to change anyway. Quite often people just take all the world problems on their shoulders and just feel miserable all the time.

Quite so. The thing is that in the past one had to be very active to see all the misery in the world. All you need today is a Facebook account and it floods into your consciousness.

Icarus

^^ Toms' advice is worth a try.  Alternatively, we could get one of the "give a fuck' meters that Mags showed us on a previous post. 

Do you suppose that I could get one of those meters from Amazon?

Ecurb Noselrub

Remember what John Lennon sang in "Revolution" - "But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone, anyhow."

If you lash out at everything and everyone all the time, then people just don't want to listen to you. You become ineffective as a communicator of whatever position you are espousing. But, if your goal is not to change anything but just to lash out, then by all means, continue.

Mr. B

Quote from: TheFightSong on February 12, 2022, 03:56:38 PM
Until things change, I see humanity as a plague where decency is harder to find than ugliness, greed, dishonesty, war, death, poverty, misery, sweatshops, global warming, mental illnesses, sociopathy, psychopathy, sadism, sexual abuse, misogyny, misandry, etc. I don't want beauty if it comes from anorexia, eating disorders, plastic surgery contributing to global warming, pain, suffering, soul-selling, etc.

I'm not sure if it's irony or not that you somehow found your way to the "Happy" Atheist Forum. I convinced myself that  humanity was a lost cause in the early '90s. I decided that I would not bring any children into this world. It's easy to see misery and pain and injustice, one doesn't have to try very hard, It's everywhere. However, there exists simultaneously beauty and hope and love. You just have to look in different places to find them.

If you want to see things change, change the things you see.

I don't mean just changing the channel or cancelling social media or stop reading horror stories in the news but find a way, your way, to effect the change you would like to see. Volunteer to help people who need help. Run for office. Start a 501-C3. Do something. Don't just sit around and complain about it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

billy rubin

i believ fightsong has moved on

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."