News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

May have gotten my first convert

Started by Xjeepguy, September 03, 2011, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xjeepguy

A guy I work with was trying to witness to me for the last month, trying to get me to come to his church, and I do believe I have planted the seed of doubt in his head yesterday. He will likely go back to church for reprogramming, but it feels good to have possibly enlightened someone. I love turning the tables on people trying to "save" me.

Anyone else done this? Let's hear about it.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Tank

Technically it would be a de-convertion  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

I have no interest in converting people

xSilverPhinx

I like to figure out the ins and outs of the religious mind, it's become necessary from my POV. The main goal isn't even to deconvert people, it's to know my way ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Xjeepguy

I usually don't try to De-convert anyone, but this person was trying to convert me and I was annoyed by this. Funny how all it takes is just a tiny bit of doubt. I really don't like people trying to drag me back into the cult.

BullyforBronto

I'm curious as to what seed was used to germinate doubt. I've found that most theists are so rigid in their beliefs that they tend to ignore or plug their ears to any logical argument contrary to their underlying assumptions. I'd be willing to bet that this guy was already in doubting mode. Either way, critical thinking (in this case synonymous with doubt) is a great thing.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 03, 2011, 11:57:05 PM
I usually don't try to De-convert anyone, but this person was trying to convert me and I was annoyed by this. Funny how all it takes is just a tiny bit of doubt. I really don't like people trying to drag me back into the cult.

That person probably deserved it.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 03, 2011, 10:09:53 PM
A guy I work with was trying to witness to me for the last month, trying to get me to come to his church, and I do believe I have planted the seed of doubt in his head yesterday.

Satan has instructed me to reward you for your work with this jelly baby, and there's more where this came from if you keep it up.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 04, 2011, 06:31:42 AM
Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 03, 2011, 10:09:53 PM
A guy I work with was trying to witness to me for the last month, trying to get me to come to his church, and I do believe I have planted the seed of doubt in his head yesterday.

Satan has instructed me to reward you for your work with this jelly baby, and there's more where this came from if you keep it up.

Yes! I will continue my works!

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 03, 2011, 11:57:05 PM
I agree with this. If a person keeps their beliefs to themselves I'm not going to take issue with them. But if they attempt to infect me then I'll fight back.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Crow

Not intentionally but rather through normal discussion. 6 friends, 3 cousins, parents and siblings. Oh and two random people due to a very entertaining conversation on the train from Leeds to Liverpool which started because somebody saw me reading this forum.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on September 04, 2011, 04:17:01 PM
Not intentionally but rather through normal discussion. 6 friends, 3 cousins, parents and siblings. Oh and two random people due to a very entertaining conversation on the train from Leeds to Liverpool which started because somebody saw me reading this forum.
Ah! A fellow train conversationalist!

Crow

Quote from: Tank on September 04, 2011, 04:21:51 PM
Quote from: Crow on September 04, 2011, 04:17:01 PM
Ah! A fellow train conversationalist!

Oh certainly, the main reason why I do not drive any more, it is far more enjoyable getting into really obscure conversations with people you don't know or would probably never meet.
Retired member.

Gawen

I do not try to de-convert people, although if I were to, the satisfaction for me would be immeasurable. All I want to do is plant that seed, that seed known as doubt, and to show people that expanding or honing their critical thinking skills is not such a bad thing after all.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor