News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on November 16, 2023, 07:27:14 AMSplendid to see the work in progress. Thank you very much for posting the images, hermes2015:thumb:

:thumbsup2:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

It is such a privilege to see your work as it progresses. Thank you so much for sharing.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 16, 2023, 09:59:30 AMIt is such a privilege to see your work as it progresses. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thank you Tank. It is probably my most ambitious project to date and a lot of work, but I am enjoying solving the problems on the fly.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

billy rubin

so much of your stuff is concrete.

why?

what attracted you to concrete, as opposed to plaster of paris, or a plastic resin with a surface treatments?

have you always been doing it?

theres a story in here.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 17, 2023, 11:36:22 PMso much of your stuff is concrete.

why?

what attracted you to concrete, as opposed to plaster of paris, or a plastic resin with a surface treatments?

have you always been doing it?

theres a story in here.

Most of your questions are easy to answer. Yes, there is a story! I had a sudden urge to do ceramics during my PhD research days. It became a bit of an obsession, to the point that I started taking ceramics as seriously as my chemistry. I was accepted as a student to study ceramic sculpture with Eduardo Paolozzi at the Central School in London, but life had other plans! There is a story there as well, but for another time. So, I stayed in chemistry and did post-doctoral research and lectured in organic chemistry at Chelsea College, University of London, instead. During those and later years I kept on doing ceramics, but was always at the mercy of ceramics studios with their varying kiln capacities. As I became increasingly interested in making large pieces, I hit on concrete as a more direct and faster medium that did not require kilns big enough to accommodate my bigger and bigger ideas.

Concrete is more durable than plaster or resin in outdoor installations. I love the natural textures and colours of things like corroded metal and old concrete, as well as the contrast between grungy surfaces and shiny, clean ones. That is why I leave my pieces unfinished so that interesting surfaces develop as the material cures and weathers. That is also a reason I like to incorporate polished stainless steel elements in some pieces.

― Charles Eames

billy rubin

its interesting that you view your sculptures as dynamic, in that you expect them to change over time without input from you beyond setting up the starting point. its also an acknowledgement that in the end, everything we create has a finite life span, and sooner or later will reach the end.

ive always been interested in the history of concrete, who first used it and what their techniques were. it goes back a very long time.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on November 18, 2023, 09:53:05 PMits interesting that you view your sculptures as dynamic, in that you expect them to change over time without input from you beyond setting up the starting point. its also an acknowledgement that in the end, everything we create has a finite life span, and sooner or later will reach the end.

ive always been interested in the history of concrete, who first used it and what their techniques were. it goes back a very long time.

It's interesting to walk around Rome and see the ancient concrete they made and used.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.