News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i suspect this is not a new problem

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on November 17, 2020, 02:45:16 AM
piss on th ehearing aids.

what can i buy that will make my pecker work like it did when i was sixteen?

A time machine?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

Randy

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

conceptually its full of contradictions.

what interests yiou about it?

Tom62

I love time travel stories as well. However, most of them don't handle the paradoxes and physics well. Some of my favourite stories: "Door into Summer" and "By His Bootstraps" (Robert A. Heinlein), "A Sound of Thunder" (Ray Bradbury), "Up the Line" (Robert Silverberg), "Thrice Upon a Time" (James P. Hogan) and "The Time Traveller's Wife" (Audrey Niffenegger).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

My wife has written a time travel story and is currently touting it around a selection of agents.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on November 19, 2020, 04:49:03 AM

I know it is full of contradictions and there may be some law in physics eventually that explains why it is improbable. Still, as a kid I was fascinated by it. The idea of moving through time, forwards and backwards, simply caught my imagination. The kid in me still is interested in it.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

Oblivious drivers.
When you are driving, and every other vehicle is going around you, when a big rig hauling several tons of earth heading up an incline is going around you, YOU ARE THE FUCKING PROBLEM!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on November 19, 2020, 02:30:31 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on November 19, 2020, 04:49:03 AM

I know it is full of contradictions and there may be some law in physics eventually that explains why it is improbable. Still, as a kid I was fascinated by it. The idea of moving through time, forwards and backwards, simply caught my imagination. The kid in me still is interested in it.

I feel the same way, time travel stories fascinate me even with all its problems :tellmemore:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Presently re-reading Isaac Asimov's book; The Robots of Dawn.  It is a bit much but the story line has us sometime far in the future when we could travel to other inhabitable big round rocks.  Warp speed/time travel and all that good stuff is involved.  Story line is mostly about robots, sex, and interplanetary detective work.  I have plowed through about two thirds of the book and it has made me a tad grumpy.  Grumpy because the story drags on interminably.   

Tom62

I'm not a big fan of Asimov later works, in which he tried to link his robot stories together with his Foundation stories. The Robots of Dawn therefore didn't leave an everlasting impression.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

one thing about azimov was that he invented the concept of warp drive/hyperspace in his i robot series.

everybody since in every zpace opera that glossez over interstellar distance owez him that debt.

just like john brunner predicted the internet and computer viruses way back in the mid 70s in the shockwave rider

xSilverPhinx

The weather is starting to get hot down here and when it does my room is like an oven.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 24, 2020, 08:53:22 PM
The weather is starting to get hot down here and when it does my room is like an oven.

Are you done yet?