News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Quote from: Asmodean on November 13, 2020, 01:16:36 PM
There is a very serious health issue in my close family, the fallout of which is barreling my way whatever the immediate outcome. In order to deal with those matters, I regret to announce a new period of relative inactivity from my side.

Such is life, unfortunately.

I currently have a few active conversations going, and shall try to read any responses, but will be unlikely to respond back again.

For any emergency technical issues, let the staff know - they have the ability to contact me by phone or SMS.
Wow Asmo, I'm sorry to hear this. You take all the time you need. Trust me, you will not be forgotten.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

I'm sorry to hear this, Asmo.
We'll be right here, waiting for you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

I had some nausea Wednesday, and ended up at the toilet, blowing chunks. After a couple of retches, I was seeing blood. I went to the ER the next day, and got the news that the repeated retching probably ripped the mucous off my esophagus and damaged it, releasing the blood. Well, that's good news, at least I don't (maybe) have an ulcer. I'll get a hose up my nose and into my stomach sometime in the next couple of weeks, to find out. While there, I found out that my blood pressure was horribly high.  :???: I'm taking one extra BP pill to get it down to only "HIGH" until the doctor gets back to me. I have a phone appointment set up, but given the pressure, I suspect that I'll get a call earlier for an in-person appointment. Or else I'll be spraying blood out of my eyes like a Great Horned Toad. Where the hell did this come from?  :o My BP has been pretty much controlled until this (with minimal medication).

Tom62

My wife was so concerned about my bad hearing that she forced me to have my ears examined. I knew that my ears were bad, since my childhood. It runs in the family, but we're all too stubborn to admit it and do something about it. So off I went on Friday, to the see the ear doctor. The results were pretty bad. For both ears, I"d need a hearing aid.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 15, 2020, 04:37:38 AM
I had some nausea Wednesday, and ended up at the toilet, blowing chunks. After a couple of retches, I was seeing blood. I went to the ER the next day, and got the news that the repeated retching probably ripped the mucous off my esophagus and damaged it, releasing the blood. Well, that's good news, at least I don't (maybe) have an ulcer. I'll get a hose up my nose and into my stomach sometime in the next couple of weeks, to find out. While there, I found out that my blood pressure was horribly high.  :???: I'm taking one extra BP pill to get it down to only "HIGH" until the doctor gets back to me. I have a phone appointment set up, but given the pressure, I suspect that I'll get a call earlier for an in-person appointment. Or else I'll be spraying blood out of my eyes like a Great Horned Toad. Where the hell did this come from?  :o My BP has been pretty much controlled until this (with minimal medication).

It's Trumps fault.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on November 15, 2020, 07:11:33 AM
My wife was so concerned about my bad hearing that she forced me to have my ears examined. I knew that my ears were bad, since my childhood. It runs in the family, but we're all too stubborn to admit it and do something about it. So off I went on Friday, to the see the ear doctor. The results were pretty bad. For both ears, I"d need a hearing aid.

Pardon?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Quote from: Tom62 on November 15, 2020, 07:11:33 AM
I have hearing aids. My hearing was good until the first set of chemo drugs were done. I was told that hearing loss is a possible side effect. Well, the side effect got me. There are certain pitches that I can't hear such as a desk bell, an elevator (lift) ding, and other things in that range. Everything else sounds muffled without the hearing aids.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

Hearing aids are not a threat to your manhood Tom62.  The need for them is the result of the natural order of human aging. 

The most immediate problem is that the hearing aid businesses in the U.S. are criminal endeavors.  A little device that has far less capacity than my I- phone, costs about four to eight times as much. 

You guessed it. I have hearing aids.  At 90 YO I am entitled, and I can tell you that my life improved when I finally capitulated and bought some of the little communication helpers.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on November 15, 2020, 08:05:17 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 15, 2020, 04:37:38 AM

It's Trumps fault.

I've really tried to avoid discussions involving "the chump", as I call him. I can't help myself, and sometimes get into those discussions, and, indeed, I can feel where there may well be blood squirting out of my eyes. So much wrong with him. Damn.  >:(

Tom62

Quote from: Icarus on November 16, 2020, 12:52:52 AM
Hearing aids are not a threat to your manhood Tom62.  The need for them is the result of the natural order of human aging. 

The most immediate problem is that the hearing aid businesses in the U.S. are criminal endeavors.  A little device that has far less capacity than my I- phone, costs about four to eight times as much. 

You guessed it. I have hearing aids.  At 90 YO I am entitled, and I can tell you that my life improved when I finally capitulated and bought some of the little communication helpers.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think that the hearing aid business is a criminal endeavour everywhere in the world. My doctor and a friend of mine warned me that they'd love to rip people off. I do have a tight budget though, since my private health insurance "only" covers 1,500 Euro per ear.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

When I began to shop for hearing aids I learned to fight back.  The agencies that sell the devices usually do a dog and pony show as well as having you sit in a  tiny quiet chamber and listen to mysterious random sounds. You push a button when you hear the sound or ....not.  The sounds will have various frequencies for you to acknowledge that you have heard or not. 

Very well, this experiment establishes which part of your hearing is the most affected or in  need of remediation.  All this is most impressively scientific sounding and is a serious diagnostic test.  The victim patients data is being recorded and analyzed and dramatized on a computer whose screen the sales person shows you. Yada Yada Yada, you have a 40 db hearing and or recognition loss at these frequencies and fortunately we can fit you with some instruments that can correct the loss, yada, yada, yada.   You need our ....................fill in the blanks for an impressive product name and model number and they only cost a princes ransom which of course is of no inconvenience to you.

At this point you tell the salesman to go fuck himself or if he/she chooses not to do so, then they are to get serious about the price of your product. They were aiming high. Don't go for that bullshit.  One of the sales outfits whose product is hugely advertised is Audibel.  My excursion into their worlds revealed that the Audibel " audiologist" guy quoted me $7,200 for the instruments that would surely change my world for the better.

Shopping around, I did the same quiet chamber bit at Sams Club. Same sort of  dog and pony show. WHoopee his price was only $3,800.  Aaawright!  I am getting somewhere now. I landed on another seller who is more inclined to go for volume instead of outlandish profit margin.  The salesman was an alright guy who quoted me $4,800.  By this time I am getting used to the high end quotes and I told him that I can not afford to buy at that price or anywhere near that price.  I arose from my chair to leave. He fiddled around on his computer and found some kind of special deal that allowed him to sell me the pair of instruments for $2400.  Deal is done. I am happy, he has made a damned good cash sale, and everyone lives happily ever after.

There are several recognized brands of hearing aids here in the U.S.  They are Siemans, Audibel, Widex, and perhaps a few others that I have not run across. I can confidently announce to all of my dear friends, as you age, your hearing will become less and less workable for ordinary conversational exchange.  Men especially lose their ability to recognize higher frequencies..........like the female voice.  Well that ain't gonna work very well when your wife accuses you of ignoring her or misinterpreting what she so clearly said..

An advantage of having and using hearing aids is that it gives us an excuse for  ignoring the blather of others that annoy us. The little thingies have on/off switches and in my pair they have a remote controller that can increase or decrease the volume.   We can also claim that the batteries in our hearing aids are  dead.   :geezer!:

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on November 17, 2020, 01:25:02 AM
When I began to shop for hearing aids I learned to fight back.  The agencies that sell the devices usually do a dog and pony show as well as having you sit in a  tiny quiet chamber and listen to mysterious random sounds. You push a button when you hear the sound or ....not.  The sounds will have various frequencies for you to acknowledge that you have heard or not. 

Very well, this experiment establishes which part of your hearing is the most affected or in  need of remediation.  All this is most impressively scientific sounding and is a serious diagnostic test.  The victim patients data is being recorded and analyzed and dramatized on a computer whose screen the sales person shows you. Yada Yada Yada, you have a 40 db hearing and or recognition loss at these frequencies and fortunately we can fit you with some instruments that can correct the loss, yada, yada, yada.   You need our ....................fill in the blanks for an impressive product name and model number and they only cost a princes ransom which of course is of no inconvenience to you.

At this point you tell the salesman to go fuck himself or if he/she chooses not to do so, then they are to get serious about the price of your product. They were aiming high. Don't go for that bullshit.  One of the sales outfits whose product is hugely advertised is Audibel.  My excursion into their worlds revealed that the Audibel " audiologist" guy quoted me $7,200 for the instruments that would surely change my world for the better.

Shopping around, I did the same quiet chamber bit at Sams Club. Same sort of  dog and pony show. WHoopee his price was only $3,800.  Aaawright!  I am getting somewhere now. I landed on another seller who is more inclined to go for volume instead of outlandish profit margin.  The salesman was an alright guy who quoted me $4,800.  By this time I am getting used to the high end quotes and I told him that I can not afford to buy at that price or anywhere near that price.  I arose from my chair to leave. He fiddled around on his computer and found some kind of special deal that allowed him to sell me the pair of instruments for $2400.  Deal is done. I am happy, he has made a damned good cash sale, and everyone lives happily ever after.

There are several recognized brands of hearing aids here in the U.S.  They are Siemans, Audibel, Widex, and perhaps a few others that I have not run across. I can confidently announce to all of my dear friends, as you age, your hearing will become less and less workable for ordinary conversational exchange.  Men especially lose their ability to recognize higher frequencies..........like the female voice.  Well that ain't gonna work very well when your wife accuses you of ignoring her or misinterpreting what she so clearly said..

An advantage of having and using hearing aids is that it gives us an excuse for  ignoring the blather of others that annoy us. The little thingies have on/off switches and in my pair they have a remote controller that can increase or decrease the volume.   We can also claim that the batteries in our hearing aids are  dead.   :geezer!:

Hear, Hear! Pun intended. ;D My MiL's hearing aids were about $4k apiece. At least she got free batteries every 6 months for the first 3 years. ::) I remember a few years ago that my wife took her mother to a mall to have her nails done. There was some (c)rap music playing, and my wife turned her mother's hearing aids off! :lol: I read a sci-fi story many years ago, where each booth had a coin slot for a machine that provided silence, if you wanted it. What a novel concept!

billy rubin

piss on th ehearing aids.

what can i buy that will make my pecker work like it did when i was sixteen?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on November 17, 2020, 02:45:16 AM
piss on th ehearing aids.

what can i buy that will make my pecker work like it did when i was sixteen?

Gonna need to transplant yer brain into a 16-year-old body. Good luck with that.  :reading: