News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Sorry to hear about your aunt, Tom62. It's never easy losing dear people.  :(
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

What does a funeral ceremony in your country looks like? If I compare the ones I've been to in the Netherlands with the ones in Germany there are a couple of differences. The Dutch ceremonies are far less formal (jeans, sneakers etc. are allowed) and most ceremonies are non religious. The speeches made contains anecdotes, humour and it is even allowed to include mild criticism. This is unheard of in Germany where people dress up in black, a priest performs the ceremony and where critical notes are not allowed. Humour is also frowned upon. In the Netherlands it is also common to show photos of the deceased person and play their favourite music between the speeches.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

It's very variable depending on the faith or not of the person. Spike Milligan is famous for asking for a particular piece of music at his funeral. A couple of bars into the tune and his friend Harry Secombe shouted at the top of his voice 'You bastard!' because he knew that Spike had used that piece because he knew Harry hated it with a passion!  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

It's a fabulous day here in southeast Michigan. Sunny, about 72F,...plus there is a gentle, slight breeze. I've been sitting outside on the patio, enjoying my coffee (3rd cup). Had to do a little work/work, but nothing serious, so I've been reading for a while.

I decided to fill our bird feeders, and as I was out in the front I started chatting with one of my neighbors, and she asked me if I had any plans for the fall, and it took me a short bit to realize she was referring to Autumn, and not the fall of civilization.

Either way I don't really have any set plans yet.

8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on September 19, 2021, 12:58:46 PM
It's very variable depending on the faith or not of the person. Spike Milligan is famous for asking for a particular piece of music at his funeral. A couple of bars into the tune and his friend Harry Secombe shouted at the top of his voice 'You bastard!' because he knew that Spike had used that piece because he knew Harry hated it with a passion!  :D

the fact that you know who harry secombe is shows that you are a dinosaur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfbY2VITqxo

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Biggus Dickus

There was a meeting held in our house this past weekend to discuss an annoying and weird roommate, and I'm kind of bummed they didn't invite me.  :'(
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 21, 2021, 02:34:38 PM
There was a meeting held in our house this past weekend to discuss an annoying and weird roommate, and I'm kind of bummed they didn't invite me.  :'(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

In actuality Bruno,
They all really like you, and were drawing up arrangements on what happens to the vanquished after the battle royale.

jumbojak

I'm set to compete in the American Grappling Federation Championship in Virginia Beach early next month. I don't think I have ever been so perpetually tired as I have been these last few weeks and I'm not sure if I'll recover enough to be the least bit competitive.

Yesterday I worked takedowns at the gym and then rolled for thirty minutes straight. That's fairly normal as a workload but my god, it sucked the life out of me. I left the gym a shaking mess and have to do it all over tomorrow.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

grappling?

you throw steel hooks over other peoples boats and then  pull on the rope?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

It's like wrestling but instead of pins your ultimate aim is a submission either through strangulation of your opponent or a joint lock.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

Despite whatever wave we're up to now, sharks are still more successful than Covids around here.

There's a new technique; if someone's had their leg bit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-24/anu-shark-bite-new-life-saving-technique-fist-in-groin-area/100488934

The last guy had his arm bitten off and bled out so this wouldn't have helped.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

If shark attacks are that common a tourniquet seems like basic beach gear. Even if the bite is high near the groin a water bottle under the tourniquet is very effective.

Ecurb Noselrub

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 29, 2021, 10:25:35 PM
Bits?
Twigs and berries, gonads, naughty bits, lady parts, dangly bits, crotch, groin, meat and veg, privy parts, loins, vulva, nuts, pudenda, stones, testes, testicles, vulva, private parts, reproductive organs, sexual organs...
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.