News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

XSP in another thread (the mice one) implied that humans are intelligent.  Well some of us have shit for brains coupled with an ill considered death wish.

In my infrequent ventures out into the public places I have made a curious observation.  Black people are far more likely to be wearing a mask than the white people who outnumber the black or brown people. .  I have no statistical evidence to support my casual observations. It is an observable difference in my locale nonetheless. 

Recusant

Hat tip to Lark for this one.  :toff:

"Coronavirus: Sniffer dogs trial going 'very well'" | BBC

QuoteA trial to see whether dogs can detect coronavirus is going "very well", according to the charity behind it.

Six dogs are being trained by Medical Detection Dogs in Milton Keynes.

Claire Guest, the charity's co-founder and chief executive, said the dogs were already showing signs that they would be able to sniff out the virus.

She has previously trained dogs to spot the scent of malaria, cancer and Parkinson's disease.

[. . .]

Dr Guest said her rescue dog Asher has been doing "exceptionally" well in training. The cocker spaniel was rehomed seven times because of his high drive before he found a home with her.

"He had already learned how to spot malaria and Parkinson's so we knew he would be well suited to this. He has been finding the training odour without any errors," she said.

"He is really leading the way and Storm is also doing incredibly well. He is very driven and really enjoying the work."

After eight weeks' initial training, the successful dogs will move on to a second phase to test them in live situations.

It is hoped the scheme will be expanded and dogs will be able to screen up to 250 people per hour, potentially at airports. They could also be used at testing centres.

The trial, backed by £500,000 of government funding, involves scientists from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and Durham University.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

i am fascinated to watch americas republicans flock to trumpz conventionz and ralliez, which are now being held in regionz where covid19 is spiking.

the southern and western statez that scoffed at the lockdown are now watchi g their citizenz sicken and swamp the hospitalz.

you can ignore science when the consequencez are simply living in ignorance of evolution and earth hiztory. even climate change iz so gradual ztill that it can easily be dizmizsed.

but trumps supporters are lining up to make themsevles irrelevant to tbe future, by being dead. you cannot deny covid19-- the viruz doeznt debate the evidence
with you.

i hate to see bystanders become infected and die az a rezult of this mass conflagration of know-nothingz, but if a million people are going to die in tbis country because of their wilful ignorance and belief on nonsense conspiraciez, i cant think of a more dezerving group to start with.

if trumperz have a higher rate of morbidity than nontrumpers, the problem of americas political divide may solve itself

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Billy I have entertained thoughts of that nature too.  We sissies who are so meek as to use masks and respect social distances may end up the winners in the long run. 

It is written: "the meek shall inherit the earth" 

billy rubin

i don't like to see anybody dead, but i believe that people have the right to self-immolate for their principles. if they would only co-associate, it would be easier on everybody else. seriously, from the outside this appears to me as if trump were addressing his constituents:

trump: fellow americans! are you listening?

trumpers: yes, mr. president!

trump: i want all of you to show your support by shooting yourselves in the head!

trumpers: yes, mr president!

<shots fired>

trump: now all of you get out there and vote for me!

trumpers:

trump: on to my second term!

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on July 07, 2020, 04:45:24 PM
SILVER!

IS IT TRUE?

https://apnews.com/8ceb44235a63dfb59da10f2ceffb9160?utm_source=PushNotification

IS THERE HOPE FOR THE UNITED STATES?

I wonder what kind of religious havoc Pence would wreak before the next president is sworn in, though. Being a lame duck, probably not so much.

billy rubin

who knows

i'll take the risk

Recusant

Another one from Lark:)

Preliminary and not peer reviewed, but sounding good.

"Coronavirus: Protein treatment trial 'a breakthrough'" | BBC

QuoteThe preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it.

The treatment from Southampton-based biotech Synairgen uses a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.

The protein is inhaled directly into the lungs of patients with coronavirus, using a nebuliser, in the hope that it will stimulate an immune response.

The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.

Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claims.

It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.

In addition, the average time patients spent in hospital is said to have been reduced by a third, for those receiving the new drug - down from an average of nine days to six days.

The double-blind trial involved 101 volunteers who had been admitted for treatment at nine UK hospitals for Covid-19 infections.

Half of the participants were given the drug, the other half got what is known as a placebo - an inactive substance.

Stock market rules mean Synairgen is obliged to report the preliminary results of the trial.

The results have not been published in a peer-reviewed journal, nor has the full data been made available; so the BBC cannot confirm the claims made for the treatment.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Interferon is the first thing Dr. House always prescribed in the first of almost every episode. I'll wait 'til after the half of the show to see if it works.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Randy

If it passes the peer review that will be a big step. It isn't a vaccine but being able to stay a shorter amount of time could reduce the number of ICU beds being used. Florida, for example, I think is suffering with a 119% ICU usage. They are overflowing.

For someone like me, it might be a life saver. If I catch it I'm likely to die a lot sooner, days instead of months.

Next we need is a vaccine which North Korea says it's working on. (Yeah, right!) But I think every industrialized nation is probably working on this in some form or fashion. I look daily to see how close they are.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

I'm keeping my head down and avoiding as much outside activity as possible. And hoping that the speed of modern science saves a lot more people than just my sorry old ass. I know a guy on another forum who, along with his father, has it. He has a young son less than a year old. That's going to stink if they both die...along with many around them. I'm seeing non-scientific estimates of the actual level of contagion, and I suspect that it isn't as lethal as it's being made out to be. Yeah, I won't be telling that to the survivors, though.

Randy

My caregiver doesn't like to wear a mask. I'm glad stores are making her. She says it's hot under it. That might be but she'll complain a lot more if she gets the virus. So far it has been just dumb luck that's kept her from getting it.

She cares about me. I told her that if she wears a mask and keeps social distancing she'll save me from getting it. She knows how fragile my health is. She agreed that for my sake, please wear one.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

well, ive been sick for four days

mild fever, aches, headache, zerious fatigue. fine friday, saturday saw me knocked back pretty good.

no cough, no shortness of breath, no taste or smell issues.

quarantined in the warehouse the whole time anyway and ztayed away from people.

blood oxygen above 93 percent, which appears to rule out the virus. today the zymptoms are gone except for just being tired.

i had nine days off that id scheduled for the races and decided to keep anywaty when tbey ewre cancelled. got an incredible amount done during the first four days, then spent the next four on my bed.

back to work tomorrow.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 22, 2020, 04:01:16 PM
well, ive been sick for four days

mild fever, aches, headache, zerious fatigue. fine friday, saturday saw me knocked back pretty good.

no cough, no shortness of breath, no taste or smell issues.

quarantined in the warehouse the whole time anyway and ztayed away from people.

blood oxygen above 93 percent, which appears to rule out the virus. today the zymptoms are gone except for just being tired.

i had nine days off that id scheduled for the races and decided to keep anywaty when tbey ewre cancelled. got an incredible amount done during the first four days, then spent the next four on my bed.

back to work tomorrow.

Good to hear that you're feeling better.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.