News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Asymptomatic transmission is a significant factor in the spread of the virus, including within households. :spooked:  :ppe:

"Study shows how quickly coronavirus spreads at home" | Agence France-Presse/Yahoo

QuoteThe novel coronavirus is twice as infectious within households than similar diseases such as SARS, with a substantial number of additional infections spreading before a COVID-19 sufferer shows any symptoms, according to modelling released Thursday.

Researchers based in China and the United States said their findings could have profound impacts on reducing the number of new infections as the pandemic progresses.

Using data on 350 COVID-19 patients and nearly 2,000 of their close contacts in the city of Guangzhou, China, the researchers estimated the virus' "secondary attack rate" -- that is, the probability that an infected person transmits the disease to someone else.

They found that while the average patient had just a 2.4 percent chance of infecting someone they did not live with, that figure jumped to 17.1 percent -- around one in six -- among cohabitants.

According to their models, which rely on data collated in January and February but have been updated to reflect the latest developments, the likelihood of household infection was highest among over-60s, and lowest among under-20s.

The overall chances of infecting a family member or live-in partner with COVID-19 are twice as high as with SARS, and three times higher than MERS, another coronavirus, they found.

Significantly, the researchers found that the probability of a COVID-19 carrier infecting a family member or flatmate was significantly higher -- 39 percent -- before they started showing symptoms than afterwards.

This suggests that the virus is easily transmissible within its incubation period and may be passed on by individuals who don't know they are infected.

The team said that isolation within households cut the total number of COVID-19 cases among the study cohort by 20-50 percent compared with no quarantine.

"Although the effect of case isolation seems moderate, the high infectivity of the virus during the incubation period suggests quarantine of asymptomatic contacts could have prevented more onward transmissions," said Qin-Long Jing from the Guangzhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

Governor Newsom of California just required everyone to wear masks... kind of... sometimes... sorta...
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article243634487.html

Seriously, there's so many loopholes. That's the US of A for you. Our lockdown was half-assed, as was everything else in the handling of this pandemic.

Not sure why they just can't say "Masks stop the spread of the virus. You're required to put one on before you leave the house, and leave it on until you get home. If you're caught wearing it incorrectly or not at all, you will be fined."

Spain has a 100 Euro fine.

Time to move.

billy rubin

there's no excuse for not wearing a mask

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Randy

:rofl: Billy. Seriously, why do law makers make things so complicated? Recusant's wording is all encompassing and simple to remember. I don't see any problem with it.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on June 18, 2020, 11:13:46 PM
there's no excuse for not wearing a mask

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

W.T.A.F. is that!? Oh, nvm, I see the description in the link. Yeesh.

billy rubin

lol

the whole thing about rules is that they exist for people who cannot process reasons.

many people are that way, and to accomodate them, rules have to be exhauztive, because they cannot percieve the reasons and arrive at correct decisions without guidance.

this attitude was very apparent in the public discussions of wearing mazkz. we had health experts cautioning against mask wearing becauze it was not 100 percent effective, and they stated that people would foolishly assume a false sense of zecurity and act in stupid ways.

they said these things while6 the people were listening-- calli g them foolish and predicting stupidity. and they were right.

joeactor

Quote from: billy rubin on June 19, 2020, 10:33:04 AM
lol

the whole thing about rules is that they exist for people who cannot process reasons.

many people are that way, and to accomodate them, rules have to be exhauztive, because they cannot percieve the reasons and arrive at correct decisions without guidance.

this attitude was very apparent in the public discussions of wearing mazkz. we had health experts cautioning against mask wearing becauze it was not 100 percent effective, and they stated that people would foolishly assume a false sense of zecurity and act in stupid ways.

they said these things while6 the people were listening-- calli g them foolish and predicting stupidity. and they were right.

Truth!

Don't know why it's so hard to say: "Leaving your house? WEAR A MASK!"

All these conditional statements just make loopholes for stupid people.
"I wear it in stores." "I wear it when I'm near someone."

... and don't get me started on idiots with their noses out - WTF!?!?

Davin

Wearing a mask is a tiny easy thing to do. I don't understand why people are not doing it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dark Lightning

One of my neighbors and some of his friends are not going to wear masks and have stated that they would even brave a citation for not doing so. They also love the president. I'm seeing a correlation.

billy rubin

yes there's  serious correlation

trump has made a point about how the virus is over, and its time to get back out and start making profits again. this is essential to his reelection strategy.

wearing a mask (especially for him) indicates that the disease is NOT gone, that what he said before is NOT true, and that the various libtards were right to predict problems and to advise caution.

trump would rather deny the problem and ignore the deaths than admit that he is and was wrong.

his minions buy it for the same reason they buy whatever ese he says-- they follow a subset of the news, they believe what he says because they like him personally, and they deny the problem too.

there appears to be a 21 day lag between a superspreader event and the day it appears in mainstream media. trump's oklahoma rally is tomorrow, 20 june. wait until 11 july to see whether he's right or wrong.

Icarus

Stuffing nineteen thousand people into one closed space is sheer madness.

Friend wife has predicted that many of them will be wearing a mask.  She predicts that the masks will be red and be printed with important messages such as MAGA or other Trumpisms. 

I predict that those cowboys, who wear their obligatory Stetson hats, will make the ultimate sacrifice.  They will trade the Stetson for a red baseball cap with gospel sayings such as "make America Great Again" or "Nobody can tell me what to do" and similar brilliant pronouncements..

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on June 19, 2020, 11:42:11 PM
Stuffing nineteen thousand people into one closed space is sheer madness.

Friend wife has predicted that many of them will be wearing a mask.  She predicts that the masks will be red and be printed with important messages such as MAGA or other Trumpisms. 

I predict that those cowboys, who wear their obligatory Stetson hats, will make the ultimate sacrifice.  They will trade the Stetson for a red baseball cap with gospel sayings such as "make America Great Again" or "Nobody can tell me what to do" and similar brilliant pronouncements..
They are defenitely the 2020 Darwin Award Winners.  :smilenod:

They will likely be yelling and chanting and expelling droplets farther and faster.
"Lock her up!"
"Lock her up!"
"Lock her up!"

They should all get this lovely gift from Trump as they enter the room:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

The funny thing about the virus; it's bipartisan. It doesn't seem to care what side of the fence you're on it's going to get you.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Randy on June 20, 2020, 02:09:41 AM
The funny thing about the virus; it's bipartisan. It doesn't seem to care what side of the fence you're on it's going to get you.

Truth. But it's also funny about who the vector of maximum transmission is, along party lines. The fact that these dorks endanger us all is more than a little annoying. If it only took out those who don't care, I'd be...sort of...OK with it. But disease is equal opportunity...sort of. Data is starting to accumulate that people with type "O" blood are less likely to get a bad case/more likely to recover if they do. I don't think that worshiping the chump is selected for by blood type.

Tom62

Coronavirus restrictions are gradually being lifted across Germany, but responsibility has now been largely handed to the individual federal states - meaning that the country's once-uniform approach to tackling the outbreak is beginning to splinter, and everyone is starting to get a little confused by all the different rules.

Bit by bit, new openings were announced - shops, schools, restaurants, bars, playgrounds, you name it. The proviso is, these institutions can only remain open as long as the infection rate in any given city or district remains below 50 per 100,000 inhabitants per week. If this value is exceeded, restrictions will need to be re-introduced.

Apart from a small easing that allows gatherings in public of members from two households, all contact restrictions and mask requirements will remain in place. Everyone must continue to observe the minimum distance of 1,5 metres.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein