News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on April 06, 2020, 06:28:44 PM
I just got back from helping move my GF's parents here, about 1730 miles of driving one way. There are some good reasons we could not wait to move them. The drive out in a car wasn't too bad, we switched drivers to let the other sleep got there in 25 hours. The drive back in the moving van was much worse, but we managed to make it in 27 hours. Traffic was very light. Gas prices in most places were less than $2/gallon. One place was $0.99/gallon. Now we get to stay home in lock down for at least a month.

Hi Davin, welcome back! :computerwave:

Damn, that's a lot of driving! Are domestic flights getting cancelled in the US as well?

(Though, driving is probably way safer these days than sitting with a bunch of people inside a plane).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 06, 2020, 06:35:21 PM
I just got back from helping move my GF's parents here, about 1730 miles of driving one way. There are some good reasons we could not wait to move them. The drive out in a car wasn't too bad, we switched drivers to let the other sleep got there in 25 hours. The drive back in the moving van was much worse, but we managed to make it in 27 hours. Traffic was very light. Gas prices in most places were less than $2/gallon. One place was $0.99/gallon. Now we get to stay home in lock down for at least a month.

Hi Davin, welcome back! :computerwave:

Damn, that's a lot of driving! Are domestic flights getting cancelled in the US as well?

(Though, driving is probably way safer these days than sitting with a bunch of people inside a plane).
We booked a flight in February when we planned the whole thing. The flight was cancelled the day before. They offered another but could not guaranty that the connecting flights would not be cancelled. That and it seemed unsafe to sit in a plane packed with people who could spread the virus and/or I could spread the virus to if I was infected. So because we didn't want to be stranded and didn't want to get or possibly spread the virus, we decided to rent a car and drive it out then drop it off. We had masks, gloves, wipes, and hand sanitizer, we tried to be as safe as we could for ourselves and others.

So many people just didn't give any fucks. I'm not too worried about myself, but if I have it, I do not want to transmit it to anyone else. And I won't know I have it until up to two weeks after I can spread it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Tank on April 06, 2020, 06:30:11 PM

Good to hear you are back safe and sound.
I guess I'll know in about two weeks if I got it or not.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

That's an epic journey. Congratulations on successfully completing the there and back again in one piece, and fulfilling the mission. Good to see you here again.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

It felt epic. Also, we're not entirely done, now we need to help them buy a house. But there are a lot more people out here to help make that easier.

Sandra Craft

:o  Way to get to know someone really, really well.  Glad you've got that done, fingers crossed for one month from now.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

There you are!  :computerwave:

I was wondering where you were. Good to see you here again.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Road trips interest me, and this makes me want to take a long drive.  Without revealing any unnecessary info, what part of the country did you cover?

Davin

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 07, 2020, 05:19:56 AM

:o  Way to get to know someone really, really well.  Glad you've got that done, fingers crossed for one month from now.

She's not liking the being cooped up part of it (we've been working from home for three weeks together), she always wants to go out for any reason at all. I get it, I wouldn't want to be trapped with me either.

Quote from: Magdalena on April 07, 2020, 08:01:33 AM

It's good to be back, looks like we picked up a short term member.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 07, 2020, 12:54:50 PM
Road trips interest me, and this makes me want to take a long drive.  Without revealing any unnecessary info, what part of the country did you cover?

AZ -> NM -> TX -> OK -> AR -> TN and then back again. Half of it was at night so we couldn't see much during that time. When we could see, there were some good sights.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on April 07, 2020, 03:16:00 PM

Who?
Are you talking about the gun-loving Christian? I have blocked him, I don't want to hear anything he has to say.

:levitate:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on April 07, 2020, 05:34:42 PM

Who?
Are you talking about the gun-loving Christian? I have blocked him, I don't want to hear anything he has to say.

Good strategy for a stress-free life. I'm not there yet but I don't imagine it will take much longer for me to start ignoring.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on April 07, 2020, 08:50:05 PM

Who?

Good strategy for a stress-free life. I'm not there yet but I don't imagine it will take much longer for me to start ignoring.

I actually welcomed him and immediately said, goodbye.

I was like, ...!? A Jesus worshiping person who's first post is, "Guns anyone?"

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on April 07, 2020, 09:36:37 PM
Quote from: Davin on April 07, 2020, 08:50:05 PM

Who?

I actually welcomed him and immediately said, goodbye.

I was like, ...!? A Jesus worshiping person who's first post is, "Guns anyone?"

Seems like they also have a few more issues.

Davin

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/pastor-who-criticized-coronavirus-mass-hysteria-dies-from-illness/?utm_source=reddit.com
A Virginia pastor who criticized the %u201Cmass hysteria%u201D surrounding the coronavirus pandemic has died of the illness, according to new reports.

[...]

The meme decried the public reaction to the pandemic as %u201Cmass hysteria%u201D and suggested the media was using the outbreak to hurt President Trump.

In the comments, the pastor said he believes the coronavirus %u201Cis a real issue, but I believe the media is pumping out fear and doing more harm than good.%u201D

[...]

But Spradlin%u2019s son Landon Isaac, 32, told the outlet his father %u201Cdidn%u2019t think it was a hoax, he knew it was a real virus.%u201D

%u201CBut he did put up that post because he was frustrated that the media was propagating fear as the main mode of communication,%u201D he said.
I don't wish death on anyone, but his death was a direct result of science denial. Denying reality is dangerous. And think about all the people he infected. It's like the guy Mags met in the grocery store.

Ecurb Noselrub

AZ -> NM -> TX -> OK -> AR -> TN and then back again. Half of it was at night so we couldn't see much during that time. When we could see, there were some good sights.

Sounds like you were on I-40 for a while, following the old Route 66 for a good distance.  A classic drive.