News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

So...the Brazilian Minister of Health has just signed a decree summoning professionals who can somehow aid in the fight against coronavirus. It's mandatory for some, but as I understood (or misunderstood) it, I don't need to register even though some of my colleagues will have to.

I'm not sure though. I'm lost.  :no idea:

I'm assuming even if I'm not part of the first wave of this 'army' they're putting together, eventually I might be summoned later. I've tried accessing a few government sites but they're down or really slow to open, probably due to the heavy traffic. I guess I'll have to wait to try and gather more information.  :-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Something like 50k retired medical professionals in California answered the governor's request or volunteered beforehand to step in and help with the Covid-19 situation.  :thumbsup:

On another note, I woke up at 2 AM with an elevated temperature and a super painful sore throat. :panic: The fever was down within a few hours and the sore throat pain has diminished. It appears to be the same ailment that my son came down with last week, and he's still kicking. If it gets worse, I'll go to the doctor. Doesn't seem to be doing that, though. Gotta go gargle some more hydrogen peroxide and show those little shit viruses who's boss around here. Probably ought to go to get a test culture taken, because if it is indeed C-19, the store where my son works has it running rampant.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 03, 2020, 12:18:44 AM
Gotta go gargle some more hydrogen peroxide and show those little shit viruses who's boss around here.

Oh DL, don't gargle that stuff! It's extremely carcinogenic. 

ETA: Seriously, that stuff can damage the DNA in your cells via oxidative stress and lead to mutations. Also, if it's a viral infection, they're mostly inside your cells and not outside as all viruses need living cells in order to reproduce. Gargling with the proper stuff will probably reduce inflammation and pain but will have limited effect in actually killing the viruses. But the proper stuff won't potentially damage your throat in the process.  :-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

Something like 50k retired medical professionals in California answered the governor's request or volunteered beforehand to step in and help with the Covid-19 situation.  :thumbsup:

On another note, I woke up at 2 AM with an elevated temperature and a super painful sore throat. :panic: The fever was down within a few hours and the sore throat pain has diminished. It appears to be the same ailment that my son came down with last week, and he's still kicking. If it gets worse, I'll go to the doctor. Doesn't seem to be doing that, though. Gotta go gargle some more hydrogen peroxide and show those little shit viruses who's boss around here. Probably ought to go to get a test culture taken, because if it is indeed C-19, the store where my son works has it running rampant.

I had a sore throat a couple of weeks ago.  I usually gargle some mouth wash for that, but I don't have any atm.  So I poured a dram of a fine single malt and let it run slowly down the back of my tongue and throat.  Did the trick a treat!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Recusant

:lol: That's the spirit! Well done.

Of course we shouldn't forget OldGit's universal remedy: Hot whisky and lemon.  :sidesmile:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Hope it's not CV-19 but if it is 'may the odd forever be in your favour'.  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Recusant on April 03, 2020, 04:13:39 AM
:lol: That's the spirit! Well done.

Of course we shouldn't forget OldGit's universal remedy: Hot whisky and lemon.  :sidesmile:

I add some honey to that, very effective if your head is all stuffed up, I just had a sore throat, the whisky fixed it!

Quote from: Tank on April 03, 2020, 06:20:13 AM
Hope it's not CV-19 but if it is 'may the odd forever be in your favour'.  :D

I'm good, I'm being continuously checked out three times a week when I go for dialysis.  As for the odds, I still haven't won the Lotto, although I suppose my odds would be (marginally) better if I bought a ticket now and then... ::)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 03, 2020, 12:24:14 AM
Gotta go gargle some more hydrogen peroxide and show those little shit viruses who's boss around here.

Oh DL, don't gargle that stuff! It's extremely carcinogenic. 

ETA: Seriously, that stuff can damage the DNA in your cells via oxidative stress and lead to mutations. Also, if it's a viral infection, they're mostly inside your cells and not outside as all viruses need living cells in order to reproduce. Gargling with the proper stuff will probably reduce inflammation and pain but will have limited effect in actually killing the viruses. But the proper stuff won't potentially damage your throat in the process.  :-\

Oy. Thanks for that information! I'll quit using it. :smilenod:

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 01, 2020, 03:06:50 PM
Quote from: No one on April 01, 2020, 08:43:19 AM
I was in the supermarket and overheard someone wishing trump would get covid-19, and I thought what a terrible thing to happen to that virus.

Yeah, apparently the virus is really grossed out by some people. It hasn't infected certain politicians, for example ::)

Trump is even toxic to the toxins.

Ecurb Noselrub

Well, everyone can breathe easy now - Jared Kushner is in charge of the White House response to Covid-19.  He will probably build a Kushner Tower Hospital in Manhattan and make millions.

Recusant

Probably at least some of you have already seen this, but I just came across it today.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

America becomes the first country to officially have over 1,000 people die from coronavirus in one day.  :'(

This may have been exceeded by China if they have been covering up their death toll as some claim. There may also be issues with recording cause of death or even knowing that CV-19 is the root cause of the pneumonia that causes the death.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

joeactor

Quote from: Recusant on April 04, 2020, 04:06:08 AM
Probably at least some of you have already seen this, but I just came across it today.

Ahhh... David Letterman / Santa Claus!

Davin

I just got back from helping move my GF's parents here, about 1730 miles of driving one way. There are some good reasons we could not wait to move them. The drive out in a car wasn't too bad, we switched drivers to let the other sleep got there in 25 hours. The drive back in the moving van was much worse, but we managed to make it in 27 hours. Traffic was very light. Gas prices in most places were less than $2/gallon. One place was $0.99/gallon. Now we get to stay home in lock down for at least a month.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on April 06, 2020, 06:28:44 PM
I just got back from helping move my GF's parents here, about 1730 miles of driving one way. There are some good reasons we could not wait to move them. The drive out in a car wasn't too bad, we switched drivers to let the other sleep got there in 25 hours. The drive back in the moving van was much worse, but we managed to make it in 27 hours. Traffic was very light. Gas prices in most places were less than $2/gallon. One place was $0.99/gallon. Now we get to stay home in lock down for at least a month.

Good to hear you are back safe and sound.