News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on March 19, 2020, 02:11:15 PM
Feeling better now. Still a bit shaky. It may not be CV19 after all. But I really hope it is. Iwant to get this over and done with.

Great - take care, Tank. It's a nasty bugger.

Been wondering if my wife and I have already had it. We had a really nasty cold while in Barcelona in January. It went on for 6 weeks. Dry cough. 1-2 days of fever. Just seemed to hang on forever.

In other news, California is shut down. Completely. Serious step, but needed.

Tank

Quote from: joeactor on March 20, 2020, 02:42:01 PM
Feeling better now. Still a bit shaky. It may not be CV19 after all. But I really hope it is. Iwant to get this over and done with.

Been wondering if my wife and I have already had it. We had a really nasty cold while in Barcelona in January. It went on for 6 weeks. Dry cough. 1-2 days of fever. Just seemed to hang on forever.

It would be interesting to know if you were patient zero in the USA.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on March 20, 2020, 04:10:20 PM

I hope not! But I did send a note to the CDC. Will let you all know if they get back to me.

So... Science question: Does anyone know if the current test detects the live virus, or the antibodies?
Just wondering if you can test people who are no longer infectious to see if they've had it.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: joeactor on March 20, 2020, 04:39:29 PM

I hope not! But I did send a note to the CDC. Will let you all know if they get back to me.

So... Science question: Does anyone know if the current test detects the live virus, or the antibodies?
Just wondering if you can test people who are no longer infectious to see if they've had it.

I'd like to know that, too. I had a similar bug late January into February that lasted over 3 weeks. The usual meds didn't work on it. I really hope that is what it was, because I already lived through it.

Tank

It test for Virus RNA, not antibodies. There is an antibody test being developed. So they can't tell if you have had it and recovered yet.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

Remember what Trump said about COVID-19 last month?
"It's going to disappear. One day, it's like a miracle, it will disappear"

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Here is my suggestion for a new reality TV show.

Pensioner Celebrity Death Match!

Celebrates over 70 are pitted against each other in physical combat with the prize for survival being 24 loo rolls.

Sponsored by Andrex!

What would your CV-19 TV programme be?

billy rubin

i would hold a contest for tbe dumbest thing a talking head said on the television.

back in 89 i was in the lomo prieta earthquake in california

a well regarded newscasterstood in front of the cameras and solemnly explained that the reason there were fires after earthquakes waz because the rocks rubbing together made giant sparks that ignited the buildings

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

Quote from: jumbojak on March 20, 2020, 01:58:51 AM
Being jobless with no prospect of finding employment is a strange feeling. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared.

for the first time in my life. i appear tobe in a protected occupation. oil and gas iz considered critical infrastrure because of the epidemic

however my health insurance is on hold until my kids get their citizenship approved by the cherokee nation. if their office in oklahoma gets sick my insurance application maymisz the deadline

zo one up one down

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Kusa

No one

"Avoid public gathering" there is only 4 of them. I think they're safe.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: No one on March 21, 2020, 05:33:15 PM
"Avoid public gathering" there is only 4 of them. I think they're safe.

Yeah, but they're still supposed to stay at least 6' from one another so they're screwed there.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

okay

maybe im just dumb. i finally figured ^^^that out without asking my teenagerz for help.

but this next one myztifiez me:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/army-coronavirus-social-post/index.html

can someone explain the faux pas to me?

or is it horrifyi gly obvious and i should juzt go to classes in remedial humanity?

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on March 20, 2020, 06:40:57 PM

It test for Virus RNA, not antibodies. There is an antibody test being developed. So they can't tell if you have had it and recovered yet.

Excellent - thanks Tank!

I figured they'd need the antibody test to know the true extent of the virus.