News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Italy has surpassed China's corona death toll. Italian authorities announced 427 new deaths, pushing the total to 3,405, exceeding the 3,242 fatalities recorded in mainland China.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Kusa

China quit recording so the comparison is invalid.

Recusant

Quote from: Kusa on March 19, 2020, 09:24:30 PM
China quit recording so the comparison is invalid.

Can you cite a source for this claim?

At a press conference today, Chinese officials announced eight more deaths from the virus. Seems to me that if China were no longer keeping count then they wouldn't know the number and would not announce it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Kusa

Recusant

It's notable that neither of the reputable sources you cited supports your claim. They speak of suspicions regarding China under-reporting cases and deaths. Those suspicions are legitimate, but they do not establish that "China quit recording."

The other two sources -- I can only laugh. Pam Geller is a known xenophobic fruit-loop who pushes disinformation ("Obama was definitely born in Kenya, and is secretly a Muslim!!!"). The Epoch Times is likewise a source of disinformation, pushing conspiracy theories and pseudoscience.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Kusa

Quote from: Recusant on March 19, 2020, 11:10:11 PM
It's notable that neither of the reputable sources you cited supports your claim. They speak of suspicions regarding China under-reporting cases and deaths. Those suspicions are legitimate, but they do not establish that "China quit recording."

The other two sources -- I can only laugh. Pam Geller is a known xenophobic fruit-loop who pushes disinformation ("Obama was definitely born in Kenya, and is secretly a Muslim!!!"). The Epoch Times is likewise a source of disinformation, pushing conspiracy theories and pseudoscience.
Do you believe the Chinese government?

Recusant

Quote from: Kusa on March 20, 2020, 12:12:37 AM

I think it is reasonable to suspect that the Chinese government has not been completely honest about what's going in in China, so I won't say that I believe them.

That is different than asserting something as fact without having reliable evidence to support the assertion. If for instance you had said "I doubt that the Chinese are reporting accurate numbers to the world" I probably wouldn't have questioned the basis for your doubt. As the Yahoo reporter noted, the Chinese government has in the past failed to provide accurate information regarding the effects of disease outbreaks in China. If I asserted that they're being dishonest right now or are purposely failing to report an accurate number I would not be able to provide definitive evidence, and you have not changed that.

The fact that you uncritically cited disreputable sources is not reassuring.
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

jumbojak

Being jobless with no prospect of finding employment is a strange feeling. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

Maybe, if we're all good little boys and girls, Hovind, Hamm, and Comfort, will pray the virus away.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on March 20, 2020, 01:58:51 AM
Being jobless with no prospect of finding employment is a strange feeling. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared.

I would be as well. Pecker up! We know you are worth it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Kusa on March 20, 2020, 12:12:37 AM

No. But given your sources I don't believe you either.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i grew up in asia and spent more than a little time exposed daily to the face culture of chineze society. in chinese social and olitical relatuonships, it is more important to look good than to be good. when you make an error, you deny it. anz when kther people makez errors you accept their denials.  its how the socity works.

this obtains whether youre talking about the backyard foundariez of the the failed grwat leap forward, the military atrocitiez of tienamen zquare, or the inability of a regional factory manager to make his quota.

i dont know the truth about tbe corona viruz in china, but i would be astonizhed if tbe governement narrative is accurate. its not how the chineze think. remember tbe first response of the regional and national governments to the virus was to lie about it. i zee no reason to think tbey are any different now.

set the function, not the mechanism.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on March 20, 2020, 05:48:24 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 20, 2020, 01:58:51 AM

I would be as well. Pecker up! We know you are worth it!

It'll be tough to pecker up. I'm not sure when I'll be able to see this girl again...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz