News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I know about J-B Weld. I wonder how it will survive years of outdoors conditions. I think I will trust the aluminium brazing more.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

I think that you are correct, though J-B Weld advertises being able to repair cast iron engine blocks. In any event, the frame I made lives indoors in a desert environment. It'll (hopefully) never even get water on it.

billy rubin

i use jb weld to fix leaking gasoline tanks and anywhere i need a tough but not brittle epoxy.

reattaching brackets to motorcycle sidecovers, most recently

ive done cylinder heads with cracked bolt holes too

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Thanks for your input, guys.

I just had a thought (a rare event in my life) that I should post a question regarding the long term stability of epoxy adhesives in the sculpture forum over at Creative Spark, where I am a member.

https://creativespark.art
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I've used those alumaweld type rods before. It's tricky to get right and doesn't wet as neatly as traditional brazing but it does work.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on June 03, 2022, 01:19:33 AMI've used those alumaweld type rods before. It's tricky to get right and doesn't wet as neatly as traditional brazing but it does work.

I haven't had a chance to try it. Have you ever joined stainless steel to aluminium? I want to bond M6 stainless steel nuts to 5mm aluminium sheet. Everyone stresses the need to brush the surfaces well with a stainless steel brush or even sandpaper. I think it would be good to "tin" both surfaces as well.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 03, 2022, 04:59:29 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on June 03, 2022, 01:19:33 AMI've used those alumaweld type rods before. It's tricky to get right and doesn't wet as neatly as traditional brazing but it does work.

I haven't had a chance to try it. Have you ever joined stainless steel to aluminium? I want to bond M6 stainless steel nuts to 5mm aluminium sheet. Everyone stresses the need to brush the surfaces well with a stainless steel brush or even sandpaper. I think it would be good to "tin" both surfaces as well.

I have not. But I have used rivnuts. They would work perfectly it your nuts will be hidden.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Hats off to Matt, an exceptionally skilled DIY guy. I can imagine our Dave trying this sort of thing.

― Charles Eames

Tank

This just goes to show the effect Tung oil has.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Love the look of tung oil!

I used red oak with a golden oak stain, and spar varnish to make two smaller chests for when I'm old and feeble. The big one is 5 drawers and a top till, and weighs almost 30 pounds, empty. This is one; the other looks the same, except it has 4 drawers instead of 2. Each weighs about 12.5 pounds, empty.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Thanks!  :thumbsup: That's a really nice urn for little Sally.

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Fanciest "Jo" blocks ever!  :D  We used to get .0003" tolerances on some of our products using wire EDM. That was 20 years ago, though.

billy rubin

what are the applications of that level of precision on things that large?

imreminded of a big lathe i saw once

8foot swing

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."