News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

DNC

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, August 21, 2020, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

I watched the whole DNC and thought they did a great job. I'd give them an A, but not an A+.  Biden put to rest any actual concern about his mental ability or his passion in his acceptance speech last night, although the GOP will continue its assault on his cognitive capacity.  I'd vote for him over Trump even if he was half demented.

Each night of the convention had its inspiring moments.  Pretty good for the first virtual convention ever.  We will see what the GOP does next week, if I can stand to watch it.

Tank

Don't have to answer if you don't want to but I can't recall if you ever said which way you voted last time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2020, 10:52:48 PM
Don't have to answer if you don't want to but I can't recall if you ever said which way you voted last time.

No problem.  I voted Hillary in 2016, not because I especially like her, but because I was against Trump.  From 1984 to 2006 I voted Republican. After I learned that they lied about Iraq I started voting for third parties until 2016. When I saw that Trump was the GOP nominee, I started voting Democratic. I can't ever see myself voting for the GOP unless it is in a local election like for a judge that I support.  This year, I sincerely like Joe Biden.  I've donated the max of $2800 to his campaign and have his signs in my yard and his sticker on my truck.

Ecurb Noselrub

Furthermore, I can't wait to see Kamala debate Pence in the VP debate.  She will wipe the floor with his slimy ass.

Tom62

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 22, 2020, 02:25:48 AM
Furthermore, I can't wait to see Kamala debate Pence in the VP debate.  She will wipe the floor with his slimy ass.

Now, that is what we can all agree upon  :).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 22, 2020, 02:19:42 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2020, 10:52:48 PM

No problem.  I voted Hillary in 2016, not because I especially like her, but because I was against Trump.  From 1984 to 2006 I voted Republican. After I learned that they lied about Iraq I started voting for third parties until 2016. When I saw that Trump was the GOP nominee, I started voting Democratic. I can't ever see myself voting for the GOP unless it is in a local election like for a judge that I support.  This year, I sincerely like Joe Biden.  I've donated the max of $2800 to his campaign and have his signs in my yard and his sticker on my truck.

Thank you on behalf of the free world for what you are doing.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on August 22, 2020, 09:09:24 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 22, 2020, 02:25:48 AM

Now, that is what we can all agree upon  :).

Oh yes!

Icarus

I have, unkindly, categorized Pence as a weasel. Harris, if aroused, could become a honey badger. Her background as a prosecuting attorney has given her some useful debate weapons. 

Harris is going to catch some flak about having unfairly prosecuted a lot of minority people.  I suspect that she can defend herself satisfactorily or better. 

Dark Lightning

I've seen around the web where Biden/Harris are classified as communists. Make of that what you will, but I actually know people who "think" like that. I'm not actually totally pleased with either one of them, but they are orders of magnitude better than their competition. I'll vote for them as a step towards better. It's going to be a long ride to "better yet", as it is cyclical. But the trend IS towards better, with them. The thing to remember is that H Sap is a vicious creature, made so by millennia of evolution, and takes a lot of education before acting like a true thinking animal. Education in the US has taken a beating, which doesn't really help any.

Randy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 23, 2020, 04:48:53 AM
I've seen around the web where Biden/Harris are classified as communists. Make of that what you will, but I actually know people who "think" like that. I'm not actually totally pleased with either one of them, but they are orders of magnitude better than their competition. I'll vote for them as a step towards better. It's going to be a long ride to "better yet", as it is cyclical. But the trend IS towards better, with them. The thing to remember is that H Sap is a vicious creature, made so by millennia of evolution, and takes a lot of education before acting like a true thinking animal. Education in the US has taken a beating, which doesn't really help any.
I'll try not to derail the thread but I just wanted to add that the US ranks at number 26 with China at number one on everything according to Education rankings by country. You have to scroll to the bottom to see the overall results. You can also sort the table by clicking on the headings. You'll see that China tops the list regardless of the sorting.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tom62

Quote from: Randy on August 23, 2020, 08:29:19 PM
I'll try not to derail the thread but I just wanted to add that the US ranks at number 26 with China at number one on everything according to Education rankings by country. You have to scroll to the bottom to see the overall results. You can also sort the table by clicking on the headings. You'll see that China tops the list regardless of the sorting.

Maybe schools in the USA should more focus on teaching math than gender studies  ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tom62 on August 24, 2020, 11:26:23 AM

Maybe schools in the USA should more focus on teaching math than gender studies  ;)

Are gender studies even a thing until college?  Because I'm thinking we need to be leaning hard into the math and science way earlier than that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 24, 2020, 07:41:42 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on August 24, 2020, 11:26:23 AM

Are gender studies even a thing until college?  Because I'm thinking we need to be leaning hard into the math and science way earlier than that.
Nothing helps education more than not broadening viewpoints and learning a varietey of different subjects.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.