News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Doesn't fit under any othe...
Last post by Icarus - Today at 04:41:11 AM
One of the pictures that I like.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2psGcur
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
Last post by Dark Lightning - April 15, 2024, 02:30:57 PM
Opioids and steroids have reduced the excruciating pain in my arthritic knees sufficiently for me to start physical therapy...at the end of next week.  ::)  That was the soonest I could get an appointment, after calling a week ago. Down to Tylenol, for now.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
Last post by Asmodean - April 15, 2024, 01:44:07 PM
Seriously..?

I'm assuming the sadface emoji is because you agree with the observation and find it less than ideal.? If that is the case, why not come fight The Asmo on the points? Because He thinks He hath Himself-self some good ones. :poke:
Religion / Re: Christian Nonduality
Last post by zorkan - April 15, 2024, 11:59:44 AM
What's stopping me from existing again and again and again is the arrow of time (rel. to entropy).
"Just as well", did I hear.

Even the Greeks knew this.
When granted eternal life Tithonus was stuck in his old body.
If he'd asked the gods for eternal youth he wouldn't have been granted eternal life.
Last post by Tank - April 15, 2024, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on April 14, 2024, 10:19:42 PMin america, we live in a world where law isnt the final arbiter for legality.
:(
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
Last post by Asmodean - April 15, 2024, 08:02:56 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on April 13, 2024, 05:55:39 AMMy health insurance finally approved my off-label chemotherapy in combination with immunotherapy. My first treatment will be on Wednesday.
Excellent!

Our healthcare system tends to cater to the lowest common denominator to an unfortunate degree, so quite often, the only way to get the fancy "off-label" stuff is out of own pocket. Having insurance in such instances is... Well, it can mean the difference between getting well or the alternative.
Last post by Asmodean - April 15, 2024, 07:55:18 AM
Should it be though?

There is a reason they have trials and judges and lawyers. It may be illegal to exceed the speed limit, but you may do so in order to for example safely finish an overtaking manoeuvre. It is illegal to kill a person, but you may do so if said person is beating some fool with an baseball bat. It is illegal to launch a nuke at somebody, but you may do so if under a nuclear attack.

The law is a tapestry of prohibitions and exceptions. How and when it should apply, is up to the members of that society in which it is on the books.
Current Events / Re: Israeli-Hamas war
Last post by Asmodean - April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 AM
Quote from: Tank on April 14, 2024, 03:59:21 PMWell Iran sent 300+ drones, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles at Israel. About 3 got through. Defence by USA, UK, Israel and Jordan.
As of me writing this, Israel is yet to respond.

I think Iran knew that their attack would be symbolic more than anything, and may even have been aiming for something big enough to generate headlines (which it did over here for quite a few hours) but comparatively ineffective enough that Israel and/or its allies would not be compelled to respond.

There are dangerous games being played on that proverbial chessboard. Hmm... Time will tell.
Last post by Asmodean - April 15, 2024, 07:37:32 AM
Quote from: Icarus on April 15, 2024, 03:58:29 AMThis thread is in the wrong section. It should be in the philosophy section. The contributors are certainly serious thinkers who post some high minded content
It's a good discussion, though with a few circle-going tendencies. :smilenod:

I have not checked in for a bit, so some reading and [hopefully high-IQ to live up to the compiment] replying to do. Yep. 8)
Last post by Icarus - April 15, 2024, 03:58:29 AM
This thread is in the wrong section. It should be in the philosophy section. The contributors are certainly serious thinkers who post some high minded content

One of the things that I boast about is; although we are happy "atheists" we do not discuss religion, or the absence of it, as a main thrust. We devote more space to petrol heads, photography, music, and strange antipodean stuff that Puddin brings us.