News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

An individual wouldn't think of doing anything like this. A mob of people - well that's a different story. Maybe Silver knows something about the mindset of heard mentality.  :shrug:
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

Another shooting in Boulder Colorado today.   Early reports have ten people dead.  I hope that is not so. Will the madness ever cease?

TV today showed a gathering of black people at a gun range.  They were all dressed in black and were practicing with rifles and hand guns. They appeared to be well organized and disciplined.  I presume that this is a reaction from the Atlanta shooting of the Asian women. I suspect that the black people are being prepared to fight back against white supremacists. There are a frightening number of people who believe themselves to be superior and more privileged because they have whiter skin.  I have mixed emotions about this but I can try to empathize with them. 

Tom62

Quote from: Icarus on March 23, 2021, 04:41:35 AM
Another shooting in Boulder Colorado today.   Early reports have ten people dead.  I hope that is not so. Will the madness ever cease?

Yes, but it would mean to take drastic measures to remove most of the guns from the American population. But even then you'll have crazy people who'll find a way to kill innocent people
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

Tom my nation is over run with guns and gun enthusiasts. I agree that the obvious solution is for the people to have fewer guns.  Sad to say,that will happen in the US when hell freezes over.

billy rubin

i don't have a solution. people's attitudes towards guns here in america are crazy. it's all tied up with BS politics and macho culture, layered over a long history of private, peaceful, and unregulated ownership.

there's so much BS on both sides of the argument. like the AR15-style weap5ons. people complain because it looks like a military rifle, but its also one of the most popular hunting rifles in the country. people use the large magazines to slaughter wild pigs in texas, where they roam in herds and destroy the neighborhood. and they also use them to kill 50 people at a time.

my family used to hunt deer with military rifles, old mauser 98s, one sporterized, one still with a full stock. they were bolt action guns designed to kill people rapidly with contemporary state-of the-art technology. nothing like an M16, but deadly for the time. would they still be legal under military weapon restrictions? probably, but maybe not.

given the craziness we have here with owning and carrying firearms, i still think the correct solution in my own case is to join them. i'm trained and licensed to carry a weapon, have no axes to grind, and have carefully thought out my options under all the scenarios i can imagine. i'm not a danger to anybody else when i'm armed, unless i am attacked in specifically dangerous ways. if i had been in that colorado grocery store, i might be dead today. or maybe i'd be alive and the shooter would be dead instead.

there's no good choices.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

What I have never understood is why have mass shootings on people the perpetrator doesn't even know? What's the point? Did the wife spoil the dessert and he got angry at the world? It's just... I don't. It's almost like you never know who might be living next door and be trigger happy,
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

Indianapolis. The season is getting into a robustly macabre swing of things. Then again the season is all year long, in God's Country.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

The discussion of the use of deadly force by police (and the racist aspects of that in the United States) has been split off to a new thread. Thank you for your patience.  :maskwink:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

Quote from: Randy on April 15, 2021, 09:34:59 PM
What I have never understood is why have mass shootings on people the perpetrator doesn't even know? What's the point? Did the wife spoil the dessert and he got angry at the world? It's just... I don't. It's almost like you never know who might be living next door and be trigger happy,

in malaya and the philippines theyre called amoks.

some sort of life stress causes them to reject sociality, and then they go around killing people until tbey are (usually) killed themselves.

in asia its usually a bloody suicide. but some people are subdued and their running amok sometimes isnt held agaibst them.

i remember amoks from when i was a kid, but i havent heard much about tbem in asia for some time.

lots of them in america

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

With the added pressure of Covid and some still feeling economic pressure, the availability of guns here and the general lack of civility that reached a high point since Trump, we are going to see a lot more violent death.  Summer could be a nightmare.

billy rubin

yes. i'm not liking my culture much.

i've wandered around the world in political hotspots for years and never felt like i needed to carry a weapon.

now here in my own country i don't leave the house without a stinking gun in my pocket. go figure.

Icarus

Another "go figure" is the news that Texas legislators are moving to make it permissible for any citizen to open carry. No license or training required.  Given the current climate of  shootings, including the one in Austin (capitol of the state of Texas), WTF are these legislators thinking?  Are they thinking the deal about " a good guy with a gun versus a bad guy with a gun" thing?  That only works if the good guy kills the bad guy before the bad guy reveals the details of his deranged mission. In which case the good guy is  the murderer and is subject to prosecution..............except in Texas?????

Somehow I cannot envision Ecurb with a 44 magnum revolver in his holster while at the Dairy queen.

billy rubin

arizona is open carry by anybody.

i worked a cash register in a circle K convenience store in mesa, arizona when i was in school. people walked in with guns all the time, every day. little pistols, 45s, single action revolvers, of all things. you didn't pay any attention to it because you assumed that everybody you saw was armed, whether you saw a gun or not.

just part of that culture. my wife worked alone in the mountains on her masters thesis, and she wore a .357 all day long, even under her chest waders out in the cienegas.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on April 20, 2021, 02:08:24 AM
arizona is open carry by anybody.

i worked a cash register in a circle K convenience store in mesa, arizona when i was in school. people walked in with guns all the time, every day. little pistols, 45s, single action revolvers, of all things. you didn't pay any attention to it because you assumed that everybody you saw was armed, whether you saw a gun or not.

just part of that culture. my wife worked alone in the mountains on her masters thesis, and she wore a .357 all day long, even under her chest waders out in the cienegas.

Astonishing.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i hate to admit it, but this motion picture captured a great deal of arizona culture with great accuracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY3b5VmtET0

and holly hunter is one of my lifetime motivating actresses. a very versatile artist, here and elsewhere.

people in arizona take personal firearms for granted. it's not particularly more dangerous, its just that everybody has them, all the time. everywhere.