News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Jeff Sessions Delivers for The Evangelical Zealots

Started by Recusant, October 10, 2017, 07:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bluenose on July 14, 2019, 03:37:18 PM
Icarus I always remember what my father says, who was an international airline pilot back in the late 50s and early 60s and flew into and out of the US frequently.  He said that American things generally were either of the very highest standard or complete rubbish, not much in the middle.  My own observation seems to back this up.  What worries me is that the very bad seems to be taking over. :(

It astonishes me that the nation that landed a man on the moon 50 years ago, a feat that filled me with wonder all those years ago, has people from that same nation build a Noah's ark/creation museum and expect it to be taken seriously.  SMH

[hangs head in shame at what has become of his homeland]

But I do hope that it will get better once the chump is out of the White House. On a happier note, some guy supplied a bust of the chump and it is set somewhere in New York City with a sign that says, "Pee on me".  :thumbsup2:

Icarus

Bluenose your father was an astute observer.  Sure enough we have two or more distinctly different societies.  One the one hand we have climate change deniers such as our president, who claims that climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese.  Our "stable genius"president had the brilliant idea to pull out of the Paris Accords and to cancel our participation in the Iran nuclear agreement.  In lockstep of the spectacular number of Trump lies and other clownish behavior, there are a substantial number of Americans who are committed to the notion that he is of the second coming.   We have a substantial number of otherwise sane people (well maybe not quite sane ) who believe absolutely in the Raptures.

On the other side of the ledger we have the Salk vaccine, the discovery of the transistor that  led to the development of digital technology, GPS, The I-phone and other miraculous things.  We have had people like Richard Feynman,  Carl Sagan, Isaac Assimov,  Rocky Kolb,.... Who the hell ever heard of Kolb even though he is one of the brilliants. With a given name like Rocky he cant be too smart.  Math genius like Steven Strogatz or Arthur Benjamin.  We have a plethora of wizards. All the while we have colossally ignorant conspiracy theorists who are convinced that the moon is made of green cheese. the 911 incident was  planned and executed by the Bush administration so that we could justify going to war with Iraq and Afghanistan.

I suspect that we might be a nation partially inhabited by nut cases, ignorant slobs who are bragging and proud of their ignorance while we are at the same time inhabited by men and women of superb intellectual achievements...............Man we are a messed up country.   :rant:

Davin

Quote from: Harmonie on July 14, 2019, 02:37:14 PM
It's funny because I was raised in Oklahoma one of the most awfully conservative states in the nation (so much so that every single county voted for Trump. The state is a complete shame) and even there in my public education, I learned about things like the importance of the separation of church and state.

It was quite a blow to me when I began to realize that the people in my state, the government, and many parts of the US as a whole did not. I'm continuously baffled by this, as well as so many other things going on, like people actively fighting against human rights. I was raised to think America was supposed to be better than this, even in a conservative state.
Growing up, my parents drove home the importance of the separation of church and state. They were very adamant about it. So it was a shock to me that they had completely reversed their position in 2008. Apparently, Obama becoming president and the Tea Party bullshit had gotten to them. They couldn't explain why they had reversed position, but they did try to gaslight.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.