News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

coming out

Started by kitty, May 13, 2012, 09:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 18, 2012, 04:40:31 AM
Quote from: RenegeReversi on May 18, 2012, 04:07:27 AM
You could always go to work on Sundays. Just a...y'know--thought.

I just take long walks on Sundays, after sleping in of course.
I get ice cream, and laugh at the idiots dressed up for church. What a waste.

Many of those "idiots" are elderly, and get dressed up and go to church because that's the one day of the week they get out of the house to see friends and the general community, and to take part in a social activity that has some meaning for them. I wouldn't personally be so quick to call them idiots for attending church. While I prefer to sleep in on a Sunday too, I understand that others prefer to sit/stand together in a building, talking to one another, sharing ideas and singing songs. To each their own. :) I just don't want to be expected to be one of them, that's all -- and for the record, my church-going family members gave up asking me years ago.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

kitty

i borrowed god delusion from the library, kept hiding it when she came round, thinking i just couldnt face it if she noticed it. now i'm reading 'confessions of a skeptic', and next its the humonguessness that is 'breaking the spell'. i'm not bothering to hide these, but she hasnt noticed lol.

sunday is the only day i get to have a lie in, my husband gets up with the boys and i get an extra 2 or 3 hours of sleep-bliss!
Quote from: Amicale on May 18, 2012, 06:15:31 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 18, 2012, 04:40:31 AM
Quote from: RenegeReversi on May 18, 2012, 04:07:27 AM
You could always go to work on Sundays. Just a...y'know--thought.

I just take long walks on Sundays, after sleping in of course.
I get ice cream, and laugh at the idiots dressed up for church. What a waste.

Many of those "idiots" are elderly, and get dressed up and go to church because that's the one day of the week they get out of the house to see friends and the general community, and to take part in a social activity that has some meaning for them. I wouldn't personally be so quick to call them idiots for attending church. While I prefer to sleep in on a Sunday too, I understand that others prefer to sit/stand together in a building, talking to one another, sharing ideas and singing songs. To each their own. :) I just don't want to be expected to be one of them, that's all --

i know a few older people, a whole church full in fact, who attend on sunday mornings, have social gatherings during the week (bowling, etc), but after running a few prayers meetings with them (to my horror at the time) i found that they do not buy into the whole jesus is the only way to heaven and stuff. they are really vague about their faith and are open about their church just being a social club lol. years ago it bothered me, coz i was a feisty christian, but now i totally get it, and i wish i hadnt been so judgemental.
Quote from: Amicale on May 18, 2012, 03:30:16 AM
Quote from: kitty on May 17, 2012, 07:52:59 AM
Quote from: Firebird on May 17, 2012, 06:51:24 AM
Something tells me the message got through, even though she doesn't want to admit it yet.
Bravo, and good luck. Hopefully she'll learn to accept and respect your views.

thanks firebird. she visited yesterday and i wondered if she wanted to ask, but she never did. i think she's just not ready at accept it so there's nothing i can do (that doesnt involve grabbing her by the shoulders & shaking her/shouting at her/swearing at her) but wait. and be ready to answer her questions and stand my own ground.
glad i found you guys, makes me feel stronger knowing i'm not alone.

Just as an aside (and I am not derailing your thread), but looking back at what I've just written... the parallels between coming out as gay and coming out as atheist in this culture really are astounding. For what it's worth, I wouldn't call myself any sort of expert, but I've come out as both and had my mom react to both, so I wanted to toss my 0.02 in here especially on the faith issue.

i noticed that too. but yes, i hope she sees that i'm still the same person, but happier.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)