News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Ecurb's travels

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 27, 2019, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Street musicians - some really good ones in Mexico City. Right in front of my hotel a guy sounded like Pavarotti, and an older cellist played with the passion and skill of YoYo Ma or Pablo Casals (IMO). He did a rendition of Schubert's Serenade that fed my soul.  These a talented people.

Ecurb Noselrub

This past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

St. Mary's High Hill.

Sts. Cyril & Methodias, Dubina.

St. Mary's, Praha.

After the tour, we went to the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas, and drank some Shiner beer - founded by Germans. After that, we ate at Lucy Tequila's in Schulenberg, so we mixed Mexican, German and Czech cultures. A true Texas Fusion day.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 29, 2022, 11:08:09 PMThis past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

Is that a depiction of the FSM, near the top?  ;)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 30, 2022, 12:22:53 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 29, 2022, 11:08:09 PMThis past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

Is that a depiction of the FSM, near the top?  ;)

Ha, done in pretty Bauernmalerei style.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Churches or any other structure with such beauty and demonstration of fine art and exceptional craftmanship, definitely earn my respect.

On the other hand, I tend to think of such magnificence as a monument to man's ego rather than a temple of God.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on May 01, 2022, 06:44:11 AMChurches or any other structure with such beauty and demonstration of fine art and exceptional craftmanship, definitely earn my respect.

On the other hand, I tend to think of such magnificence as a monument to man's ego rather than a temple of God.

There is probably some truth to that. Over time these churches have served as much as a point of community pride and an inspiration of a sense of identity as they have a place of worship.

Buddy

Beautiful pictures Bruce!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.