News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

All things gardening

Started by Tank, June 25, 2017, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on March 08, 2018, 01:21:25 PM
xSP,  you should definitely give this a whirl and give us updates from time to time!
The commitment is too daunting to me, but I would love to live vicariously through you  ;)

Heheh, I just might! I just woke up last morning really wanting to own one of these beautiful little trees, but to be honest I have no idea how to keep one from dying. If I were to keep an online erm...log of my gardening progress I'm afraid it would be nothing but cataclysmic disaster. :lol:

Does any living being deserve my "care"? I don't know. It would probably suffer greatly. :(

:secrets1: There's a reason why I stick to cacti...

QuoteThe results are so beautiful!

I know right? :tellmemore:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I think maybe dandelions are more my type of plant. :snicker:

Dragonia

And dandelions are useful little flowers!
You can eat every part of the plant and folklore says that it's good for lots of ailments, from Urinary Tract infections to liver problems  ;)
It's a good plant to have around.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Heh, I've never eaten a flower before. There is potential for a bad pun, right there! :grin:

Unsapien

I only have a balcony to work with so all my plants are potted.

I always have flowers on the balcony in summer, and some indoor plants that go out for the summer then come in for the winter. Right now I've got a dwarf banana plant, assorted herbs, and ton of aloa vera that's growing like a weed, but we use it on our skin, it's really good for my dry skin.

This year tried growing Stevia, you know as a sugar replacement, I've made it into liquid and powered form, but I can't come close to how they do it industrially (obviously) so it gives this odd (but not entirely unpleasant) after taste. And it's a bit weird how it works, you can put just a few drops in your coffee or tea but when you drink it it takes a second or two for the sweetness to hit you, and it's like it isn't the coffee that's sweet it's your mouth that becomes sweet.

Mostly these days, cause I'm too lazy to make new powder, I just pluck a leaf off and chew it before having my coffee.
"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

jumbojak

That sounds like folks in the Andes chewing coca leaves for, um... "altitude" sickness! I'm told it leaves a weird taste in your mouth too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: Unsapien on November 19, 2018, 08:43:25 PM

I always have flowers on the balcony in summer, and some indoor plants that go out for the summer then come in for the winter. Right now I've got a dwarf banana plant, assorted herbs, and ton of aloa vera that's growing like a weed, but we use it on our skin, it's really good for my dry skin.

This year tried growing Stevia, you know as a sugar replacement, I've made it into liquid and powered form, but I can't come close to how they do it industrially (obviously) so it gives this odd (but not entirely unpleasant) after taste. And it's a bit weird how it works, you can put just a few drops in your coffee or tea but when you drink it it takes a second or two for the sweetness to hit you, and it's like it isn't the coffee that's sweet it's your mouth that becomes sweet.

Mostly these days, cause I'm too lazy to make new powder, I just pluck a leaf off and chew it before having my coffee.

Is it easy to grow? I wonder what it would be like in home made ice cream?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Unsapien

Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2018, 08:01:01 AM

Yes it is, it grows like and looks like just a weed. I was a bit slow taking it inside and it went through the first fall frost, it killed some of the bigger leaves, but it started recovering after about a week.

I don't know about ice cream, but I like to experiment and at some point I'm going to try a figure out if I can bake something with it like cookies or muffins.

"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Tank

Quote from: Unsapien on November 20, 2018, 01:45:37 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2018, 08:01:01 AM

Yes it is, it grows like and looks like just a weed. I was a bit slow taking it inside and it went through the first fall frost, it killed some of the bigger leaves, but it started recovering after about a week.

I don't know about ice cream, but I like to experiment and at some point I'm going to try a figure out if I can bake something with it like cookies or muffins.

I think I'll get some :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Anyone know why a fern would start going yellowish and what can be done to revert it to its green colour?  :-\

It's not left under the midday sun and gets watered every day.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 10, 2019, 04:33:33 PM
Anyone know why a fern would start going yellowish and what can be done to revert it to its green colour?  :-\

Probably over watered.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 10, 2019, 06:06:16 PM

Probably over watered.

Interesting.  :chin:

I'll water it maybe once every two days and see what happens.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 10, 2019, 06:19:34 PM

Probably over watered.

Let it dry out for a week.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 10, 2019, 06:39:21 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 10, 2019, 06:19:34 PM

Probably over watered.

Let it dry out for a week.

I'll try that, but if it dies it's on you! :P

Icarus

Me, with the brown thumb, decided to grows some tomatoes last early summer.  Seeds carefully planted and tended with great passion. Water, fertilizer, and TLC.  I opted to plant them in large pots inside my screened porch. There is ample sunshine in the afternoon to encourage the emerging plants.....WRONG !......

Summer came and went and the plants grew like Topsy under my careful care,  but no signs of blooms that would produce the promise of tomatoes.  Friend wife kept admonishing me that tomatoes need full sunshine to prosper.  No, I wanted to protect the lovely plants from intruders like squirrels or birds, so I kept them inside the screened but well sunshine blessed porch.

After a few months of of progress toward not the slightest hint of tomato production, I said to hell with it and put the miserably deficient plants outside in the back yard sun to perish without my tender loving care.  Well what the hell.  I ignored the damned plants and deprived them of attention when they began to make actual tomatoes.  Who knew that friend wife was right all along.  Tomatoes prosper only in full sun.