News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 01, 2022, 04:26:31 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 01, 2022, 04:00:16 PM
Cool! Does the red medallion signify the sun?

Will you be patinating any of the copper? I gotta get going on some projects. I'm chipping away at a carving, atm.

Thank you. My public stance is that the painting and its components have no deeper meaning, other than being purely physically attractive (to me) elements. I must confess, though, that I was thinking of Egyptian art while working on the painting. So, the red element could symbolize Ra if that is what anyone wants to see in it.

I don't think I will apply any chemical patination to the copper, which is in the form of 3mm refrigeration grade tubing, but will probably do some glazing effects. I used ammonia fumes on a small objet trouvé brass sculpture once, but I feel I will not have enough control over that process in my painting.

Later: I forgot to ask what you're carving. Are you going to show us the work in progress?

I'm sure that you were amazed at how fast ammonia fumes work. I know I was surprised, when I exposed a copper project to them and left it overnight! I had already used household bleach to get a nice copper chloride patina, and panicked (and damned near passed out from unexpected the fumes) when I opened the container later to see a really dark green project. I managed to wire brush a lot of the ammonia treatment off to get a variegated "natural finish".  I think I've posted that project previously, so I'll post that pic last. But here is my work in process on my family coat of arms-

This is the original artwork-

The meaning of this coat of arms: The two quills (look like feathers, and were used for writing) are placed in "a pile", which represents engineers as a heraldic symbol- a "pile" is how bridges were built, back in the day. Quills signify education, so indicate that I am educated in an engineering discipline (even though I have a degree in physics, I have a ton of engineering background, and worked in that occupation for 25+ years). The two diamonds signify "probity" in the old speak, which indicates honesty. Nothing better than an honest engineer, when one expects the results of their efforts to be effective, and honesty would be the policy, as their failure could have life-threatening results. The "zig-zag" line is a separator between the "chief" and the "field" of the shield. The shape is generally called "embattled", which means that one's life has been a challenge. Too true, for me. The three fleur-de-lis represent royalty and the trinity. I'm neither royalty nor religious. I just like the fleur-de-lis. :lol: Any questions, just ask me. I'm sure that I've left something out.

The copper job-

hermes2015

Your carving is wonderfully meticulous and I like the smooth finish, unlike my stuff, in which I am going through a grungy phase. I remember seeing your copper dodecahedron when you posted it. I will try the bleach patination chemistry some time when I need a copper chloride colour. In the painting I am thinking of a more shiny, honey-brownish colour like lacquered magnet wire.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

jeez

about the best art i can do is draw a chicken in orange crayon.

i am humbled by all the talent here

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on February 02, 2022, 10:43:43 AM
about the best art i can do is draw a chicken in orange crayon.

Show me your chicken.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 02, 2022, 03:32:33 AM
Your carving is wonderfully meticulous and I like the smooth finish, unlike my stuff, in which I am going through a grungy phase. I remember seeing your copper dodecahedron when you posted it. I will try the bleach patination chemistry some time when I need a copper chloride colour. In the painting I am thinking of a more shiny, honey-brownish colour like lacquered magnet wire.

Thanks, but it's going to be a lot smoother when I'm done. It also is going to get a lot more detail. I've a long way to go. As for the patination, it's easy. Just set the item on some isolators (I used rocks) pour the bleach into the container, put the item in and close the lid. It took about a week with bleach. It might have been quicker with muriatic acid, but that presents a disposal problem. Liver of sulfur might give you the brown you want. Or just spray the item with honey-brown lacquer. :D

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 02, 2022, 02:45:28 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 02, 2022, 03:32:33 AM

Thanks, but it's going to be a lot smoother when I'm done. It also is going to get a lot more detail. I've a long way to go. As for the patination, it's easy. Just set the item on some isolators (I used rocks) pour the bleach into the container, put the item in and close the lid. It took about a week with bleach. It might have been quicker with muriatic acid, but that presents a disposal problem. Liver of sulfur might give you the brown you want. Or just spray the item with honey-brown lacquer. :D

Thanks for the tip. I did the ammonia that way, but never thought of using bleach. The way I will do the copper is to use the traditional oil painting technique of glazing, which is a trick I use in almost all my paintings. It gives rich, glowing colours.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

DL, can you recommend a good way to fix the patina to make it resistant to rubbing? Varnish will make it too shiny and will darken that chalky look that verdigris has.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Depends on how much rubbing you expect, but I use clear matte lacquer. I got mine from these people- https://sculptnouveau.com/products/clear-guard?variant=6891796037697

If you expect a lot of handling you might try catalyzed automotive paint. I don't think that they make zero gloss, though.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 02, 2022, 05:05:36 PM
Depends on how much rubbing you expect, but I use clear matte lacquer. I got mine from these people- https://sculptnouveau.com/products/clear-guard?variant=6891796037697

If you expect a lot of handling you might try catalyzed automotive paint. I don't think that they make zero gloss, though.

:thumbsup:
― Charles Eames

Icarus

I have zero art skills but if you want to flatten a varnish or other clear coat, you can mix zinc stearate into the vehicle.  Zinc stearate is one of the major components of many talcum Pouders. You might try something like Santocell which is the thickener for epoxy and polyester fiberglass builds.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on February 03, 2022, 03:30:36 AM
I have zero art skills but if you want to flatten a varnish or other clear coat, you can mix zinc stearate into the vehicle.  Zinc stearate is one of the major components of many talcum Pouders. You might try something like Santocell which is the thickener for epoxy and polyester fiberglass builds.

Thanks for that, Icarus. I will play around and see when I have time.
― Charles Eames

Tank

I love this thread and its diverse contributions.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 03, 2022, 07:57:42 AM
I love this thread and its diverse contributions.

Yes, I agree. There is an interesting subculture of makers at HAF who share many personality traits. Dave was one of them.
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Dark Lightning, your wood-carving is exquisite, wow...that's really nice work and the detail and smoothness is really something.

Looking at your picture I swear I could smell the wood.

Amazing work, and please keep us posted on your progress.

8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 09, 2022, 02:25:28 PM
Dark Lightning, your wood-carving is exquisite, wow...that's really nice work and the detail and smoothness is really something.

Looking at your picture I swear I could smell the wood.

Amazing work, and please keep us posted on your progress.

8)

Thanks!