News:

For returning members: As Asmodean noted, when he repaired the site after a recent downtime "the local avatars got nuked." If you need any assistance with getting your avatar back, please post in the Ask HAF board.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

in the meangime it has been chilly in ohio indiana illinois iowa and nebraska.. brake lines froze up twice. -16 C  its been lots worse

669 miles yesterday and 555 today to get to the reciever. now im stuck in nebraska on a friday and may sit here until monday

people with real lives go home on the weekends so flatbed drivers have to wait ungil they come back.

almost had a load of lumber from north dakota tomorrow headed home but it has apparently fallen through


more people have been to berlin than i have

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 29, 2022, 02:43:17 AM
in the meangime it has been chilly in ohio indiana illinois iowa and nebraska.. brake lines froze up twice. -16 C  its been lots worse

669 miles yesterday and 555 today to get to the reciever. now im stuck in nebraska on a friday and may sit here until monday

people with real lives go home on the weekends so flatbed drivers have to wait ungil they come back.

almost had a load of lumber from north dakota tomorrow headed home but it has apparently fallen through

You should get a Go Pro or similar and record some of the more scenic routes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i acyually have a go pro back at the house but it has never occurred to me to do that.

i have a camera in the front of my GPS to record other drivers but i d have to study up on how to get the videos out.

but thats a good idea and i shall go dig it out. nebraska is as flat as the ocean. this was the place people built their houses out of turf because there was no wood.


more people have been to berlin than i have

hermes2015

I am looking forward to seeing any GoPro movies you shoot.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 29, 2022, 12:09:06 PM
i acyually have a go pro back at the house but it has never occurred to me to do that.

i have a camera in the front of my GPS to record other drivers but i d have to study up on how to get the videos out.

but thats a good idea and i shall go dig it out. nebraska is as flat as the ocean. this was the place people built their houses out of turf because there was no wood.

Start a YouTube channel to upload them and then you can post them here :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

id have to learn how to edit them. havent done that yet, but its a skill id like to develop. but even just deletion can be a powerful edit, taking a long video and just cutting out the boring in-between stuff.

even the dash cam on my GPS can save to external storage, so i can do that. it just takes a micro SD card.

ive often found that corny stuff, like someone else's looky-here-at-the-last-five-minutes-of-my-drive-home can be intensely interesting for somebody who doesnt have recent or any experience with far away places.


more people have been to berlin than i have

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2022, 03:33:42 PM
Start a YouTube channel to upload them and then you can post them here :)

i think i have one. at least theres a place on youtube where i store miscellaneous videos i take. lots of boring stuff in there. let me see if its possible to link to the library

https://youtu.be/CXTXfW6NiWE

this is a random video but i dont know how to set up a channel with a specific subset of videos on a particular theme. maybe a new account? i dunno


more people have been to berlin than i have

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 29, 2022, 03:38:51 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2022, 03:33:42 PM
Start a YouTube channel to upload them and then you can post them here :)

i think i have one. at least theres a place on youtube where i store miscellaneous videos i take. lots of boring stuff in there. let me see if its possible to link to the library

https://youtu.be/CXTXfW6NiWE

this is a random video but i dont know how to set up a channel with a specific subset of videos on a particular theme. maybe a new account? i dunno

Well I can see those. If you set up a separate account just for road trip stuff you might get a following :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i guess doing a separate account is how its done.

i see 600 or 700 miles of america every working day that im on a delivery. im always noticing things, from odd comments on american culture or current events

like that the parking lots for the midwest auto factories are noticeably empty these days, or that every where i go i see help wanted signs, with the amount of money theyre offering a direct readout of how much they were abusing people before they ran out of employees

of fantastic river gorges, or the differences between a wide-open layout of a nebraska farm town compared to the congested insanity of an eastern factory metro

i shall see what i can do


more people have been to berlin than i have

TheFightSong

#4314
If they stopped dehumanizing working class Americans with increasing wealth inequality, then there would be less "Now Hiring" signs. Because there are working class parents who are being pickier about what jobs they apply for. Because America's increasing wealth inequality is making younger generations have a hard time affording children. Why be a parent working when it makes your children starve because your income is too small? If these American businesses stopped treating working class Americans like disposable garbage, more employees would be happily hired. But until then, the working class parents are being more careful about what jobs they take to keep their children from dying of starvation or living miserably without much affordably helpful resources for self-improvement. It's why the working class children in America are developing mental health illnesses and physical health illnesses. It's why some of those working class children end up being criminals. If America's authorities would stop having its for-profit prisons tyrannically abusing working class Americans, there would be less crime, poverty, mental health illnesses, lower I.Q's, and personality disorders in America. But of course, mainstream media will gaslight working class Americans into thinking they are not working hard enough when they are the ones being dehumanized by the upper class leeches.

https://theweek.com/articles/961199/americas-parents-are-not-okay

TheFightSong

#4315
Quote from: Icarus on January 23, 2022, 01:13:11 AM
Honest question:  Has the Trump mindset caused so many to resist or completely avoid the Covid Vaccine ?   Or is it merely mass stupidity, or gullibility, that seems to be indigenous within some of our tribes?
I have studied chemistry and did experiments on people. So, I can say for a fact that people's bodies do not work exactly the same. One person is allergic to peanuts. Another person is not allergic to peanuts. People's bodies react to things subjectively. This applies to the COVID vaccine, too. One person can live after taking the COVID vaccine. Another person dies because of the COVID vaccine. So, I am cautious to blind optimists and con artists who dangerously talk about how the COVID vaccine is safe for everyone.

Magdalena


"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: TheFightSong on January 29, 2022, 09:12:35 PM
Quote from: Icarus on January 23, 2022, 01:13:11 AM
Honest question:  Has the Trump mindset caused so many to resist or completely avoid the Covid Vaccine ?   Or is it merely mass stupidity, or gullibility, that seems to be indigenous within some of our tribes?
I have studied chemistry and did experiments on people. So, I can say for a fact that people's bodies do not work exactly the same. One person is allergic to peanuts. Another person is not allergic to peanuts. People's bodies react to things subjectively. This applies to the COVID vaccine, too. One person can live after taking the COVID vaccine. Another person dies because of the COVID vaccine. So, I am cautious to blind optimists and con artists who dangerously talk about how the COVID vaccine is safe for everyone.

Ah, well give us the hard science and we can proceed from there.

Meanwhile . . .

QuoteIn a cohort of 6.4 million COVID-19 vaccinees and 4.6 million demographically similar unvaccinated persons, recipients of the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Janssen vaccines had lower non–COVID-19 mortality risk than did the unvaccinated comparison groups. There is no increased risk for mortality among COVID-19 vaccine recipients. This finding reinforces the safety profile of currently approved COVID-19 vaccines in the United States. The lower mortality risk after COVID-19 vaccination suggests substantial healthy vaccinee effects (i.e., vaccinated persons tend to be healthier than unvaccinated persons), which will be explored in future analyses. Mortality rates among Janssen vaccine recipients were not as low as those among mRNA vaccine recipients. This finding might be because of differences in risk factors, such as underlying health status and risk behaviors among recipients of mRNA and Janssen vaccines that might also be associated with mortality risk.

[source]

While there are extremely rare adverse reactions to the currently available vaccinations for COVID, the mortality rate among non-vaccinated people who contract the disease is significantly greater.

Even using the raw numbers from VAERS, the percentage of fatality resulting from vaccination is 0.0022% (source). As you know, VAERS is a self-reporting system, and its numbers need vetting before they can serve for proper analysis. The CDC explains: "FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it's unclear whether the vaccine was the cause" (ibid.)

Are the COVID vaccinations absolutely safe? No, and practically nothing is absolutely safe. Nonetheless, the evidence indicates that the vaccinations are relatively safe, particularly in relation to the risk associated with contracting the virus.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken


Icarus

I am unaware that people die as a result of taking the Covid vaccine.  Two in 12 million? Is that your statistic?   I agree that there are reactions to medications.  Tetracycline gives me nausea, but I am not dead from the negative reaction....not yet....soon maybe not because of tetracycline.

If we are to believe the overwhelming majority of health care workers, epidemiologists, and hospital statistical evidence across the globe, the people who avoid the vaccine are far far more likely to die than those who do take the jabs.  The statistical evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of risking the remotest possibility that the vax causes sterility, autism, and other capricious, unfounded, notions of mysterious maladies. 

Alex Jones, Q-anon, and the governor of Florida, among the numerous other pseudo authoritative dumb fucks, are doing serious harm to the common man.  So are the super Christian and other ignorant religious types who believe that God is not pleased with the introduction of antibodies into the human body. And another display of ignorance is the claim that one's liberties are being violated by mask mandates. 

Those who are so stubbornly resistant to the vax, masks, and social distancing, are not the brightest candles on the cake. Unfortunately, they have not understood the indisputable validity of Geometric progressions.  The fewer of you who are willing to take precautions, the worse the pandemic will become.  That is simple math.

This outburst finished for the moment. Thank you for your kind attention.


Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on January 30, 2022, 03:34:16 AM
I am unaware that people die as a result of taking the Covid vaccine.  Two in 12 million? Is that your statistic?   I agree that there are reactions to medications.  Tetracycline gives me nausea, but I am not dead from the negative reaction....not yet....soon maybe not because of tetracycline.

If we are to believe the overwhelming majority of health care workers, epidemiologists, and hospital statistical evidence across the globe, the people who avoid the vaccine are far far more likely to die than those who do take the jabs.  The statistical evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of risking the remotest possibility that the vax causes sterility, autism, and other capricious, unfounded, notions of mysterious maladies. 

Alex Jones, Q-anon, and the governor of Florida, among the numerous other pseudo authoritative dumb fucks, are doing serious harm to the common man.  So are the super Christian and other ignorant religious types who believe that God is not pleased with the introduction of antibodies into the human body. And another display of ignorance is the claim that one's liberties are being violated by mask mandates. 

Those who are so stubbornly resistant to the vax, masks, and social distancing, are not the brightest candles on the cake. Unfortunately, they have not understood the indisputable validity of Geometric progressions.  The fewer of you who are willing to take precautions, the worse the pandemic will become.  That is simple math.

This outburst finished for the moment. Thank you for your kind attention.

  :bravo:  Thank you Icarus.

The militant ignorance you refer to is not confined to the US, nor to the present day. It is something to see it in person though.

Probably most have seen the comic below, published by the American Public Health Association in 1930, but it serves as a reminder.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken