News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

I'm drawing a horsey....I am happy with the details of the face so far, but I have to do something about the mane as it seems out of place. :o

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

i didnt make it but i wishi had

id never heard of tbese

theres an engraver making new ones now, forsale he hopes

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

A useful technique to expand art skills is to try something totally outside one's comfort zone. I did a self-imposed exercise like that recently, when I gave myself the task of painting a still life of a Hokkaido pumpkin, a tomato, and a green bell pepper. Not something I am usually interested in doing. The idea wasn't to produce a "work of art", but at least one person like it enough to ask me for it and it is now hanging in her kitchen. It was an interesting exercise in that I felt uncomfortable painting it, but it was nevertheless a good learning experience.

Alkyd oil paints, size 600 x 760 mm

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

if something is uncomfortable to do, it sometimes means that it can expand your envelope in rewarding ways. not always, of course, but sometimes

i like the painting

Dark Lightning

Nice! It's better than I can do with my camera, sad to say.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 09, 2022, 05:39:36 PMif something is uncomfortable to do, it sometimes means that it can expand your envelope in rewarding ways. not always, of course, but sometimes

i like the painting

Thank you. That is precisely why I forced myself to do it. My tastes lie more in the Antoni Tapies camp, so getting into alien territory was a rewarding learning experience as far as colour observation and the glazing technique are concerned.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I forgot to mention that, because I must have masochistic tendencies, I am about to finish a second out-of-my-comfort-zone painting. This one is of orange and yellow canna lilies against an intense green background. I will be posting it when it is done.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Another first for me: a painting of flowers. I attempted to show the glowing oranges and yellows bought out by the ray of sunshine backlighting the flowers on an otherwise overcast day.

My usual alkyd oils, using glazing to create a stained glass effect in the grassy background and the petals.

Size 600 x 600 mm.

― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 10, 2022, 02:02:14 PMWow, that is voluptuous!

Ha, thanks. That's probably enough of the bright colours for now. I will be returning to my preferred sombre schemes in the next ones. This and the previous one were just exercises.
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

what is your opinion of georgia o keefe?

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 10, 2022, 04:27:05 PMwhat is your opinion of georgia o keefe?

I do admire her work, but I must admit my judgement may be clouded by an admiration for the persona behind the products of her aesthetic point of view.
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 10, 2022, 10:24:21 AMAnother first for me: a painting of flowers. I attempted to show the glowing oranges and yellows bought out by the ray of sunshine backlighting the flowers on an otherwise overcast day.

My usual alkyd oils, using glazing to create a stained glass effect in the grassy background and the petals.

Size 600 x 600 mm.

Ooh! Nice! :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 10, 2022, 05:39:21 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 10, 2022, 04:27:05 PMwhat is your opinion of georgia o keefe?

I do admire her work, but I must admit my judgement may be clouded by an admiration for the persona behind the products of her aesthetic point of view.

i know little about her life, but her flowers and skulls have adorned my walls whenever o have the opportunity. your second piecereminds me of her stuff

very different style but still reminiscent