News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Ecurb's travels

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 27, 2019, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Street musicians - some really good ones in Mexico City. Right in front of my hotel a guy sounded like Pavarotti, and an older cellist played with the passion and skill of YoYo Ma or Pablo Casals (IMO). He did a rendition of Schubert's Serenade that fed my soul.  These a talented people.

Ecurb Noselrub

This past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

St. Mary's High Hill.

Sts. Cyril & Methodias, Dubina.

St. Mary's, Praha.

After the tour, we went to the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas, and drank some Shiner beer - founded by Germans. After that, we ate at Lucy Tequila's in Schulenberg, so we mixed Mexican, German and Czech cultures. A true Texas Fusion day.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 29, 2022, 11:08:09 PMThis past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

Is that a depiction of the FSM, near the top?  ;)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 30, 2022, 12:22:53 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 29, 2022, 11:08:09 PMThis past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

Is that a depiction of the FSM, near the top?  ;)

Ha, done in pretty Bauernmalerei style.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Churches or any other structure with such beauty and demonstration of fine art and exceptional craftmanship, definitely earn my respect.

On the other hand, I tend to think of such magnificence as a monument to man's ego rather than a temple of God.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on May 01, 2022, 06:44:11 AMChurches or any other structure with such beauty and demonstration of fine art and exceptional craftmanship, definitely earn my respect.

On the other hand, I tend to think of such magnificence as a monument to man's ego rather than a temple of God.

There is probably some truth to that. Over time these churches have served as much as a point of community pride and an inspiration of a sense of identity as they have a place of worship.

Buddy

Beautiful pictures Bruce!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ecurb Noselrub

Our trip to Greece and Turkiye (new name for Turkey) starts Oct. 8. 6 days in Santorini (at the hotel Hermes suggested), and then to Athens to get on a Viking cruise ship. Our ports of call are Crete, Rhodes, Ephesus, Troy and Istanbul. I will post pics when I get the chance. I need to get away from Texas for a bit. The closer the mid-term election gets, the nastier the environment here.

Ecurb Noselrub

Hello from Santorini. Arrived yesterday evening after a bus ride from our Houston hotel, 3 flights, a taxi ride, and a walk down 39 steps, as our hotel room is actually a cave in the side of the caldera cliffside. We were exhausted, but this place is as close to paradise as any place I have seen on earth. Some images:

The view of the caldera from our front porch.

Oia (ee-ah), the town where are are staying, at night.

Sunrise on Oia.

The main Oia walking street.

A view of the north side of the town, with an oft-photographed windmill.
You get a lot of exercise here for your legs and heart, walking up and down stairs. More tomorrow.

hermes2015

I am happy that you ike that hotel. I've been to Santorini twice and liked it even more the second time. I adore the combinations of white and blue one sees everywhere on the island.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

You like that Greek stuff, right?  :D

And yes, those a nice views of the place. It would be too much walking for me, I fear.

Ecurb Noselrub

A shot of the caldera from Fira, the main city of Santorini.

In the distance, the white city of Oia, where I am staying, taken from Fira.

Blue-domed churches in Oia.

Tank

I love member travelogues  :popcorn:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Visited the archeological site of Akrotiri today, at the other end of Santorini. It was a town destroyed 3600 years ago by the Santorini eruption. It was a settlement of the Minoan civilization from Crete. That whole civilization came to an end, largely because of that eruption.

Archeologist at work at the site.

Akrotiri pottery.

Akrotiri house.

Ecurb Noselrub

Today I went to the Museum of Prehistoric Thera (Santorini) in Fira. It contains many of the objects recovered from the ruins at Akrotiri. That city was part of the Minoan civilization, which centered in the island of Crete, to the south of Santorini. It was actually quite sophisticated, and is considered the first civilization in Europe, before the Greeks. Akrotiri had a working sewage system, and bears evidence of trade with Crete, Cyprus, Syria and Egypt.