News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

what are uou doing at th e new job?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 22, 2022, 10:02:57 PM
I got a new job today. After fifteen years, I'm free of that hellhole.

Great news. Mazel tov!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

:frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :frolic:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on February 22, 2022, 11:17:56 PM
what are uou doing at th e new job?

Fixing the shit everyone seems to break basically.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

clearly you are not a politician.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

That's great! :party:

:grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Cheers, jumbojak, and congratulations!   :frolic:   :cheers:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Anne D.

Belated congrats! That's awesome!

billy rubin

new trailer!

well its the old one i had before. brakes are good, tires okay. its 48 feet instead of 45 so getting loads is easier.

heading to nebraska again with sheet metal. 1308 miles. but no snow.

my mechanic owner doesnt want to mess with the other trailer anymore. just headaches. but it was 32 years old. this one is only 18 i think

Icarus

Even steel gets tired. Over time and abuse such as banging over rough roads and vibrations from out of balance wheels and tires, the steel becomes stressed and then is subject to failure, especially when heavily loaded.

Good call to send the old trailer to the bone yard.

billy rubin

youre right

metal fatigue is cumulative

one big place i worked for sold their trailers on after 7 years. but they had 2000 drivers and lots of cash flow.

im just happy to be back to something newer. no lockers on it and no good place for dunnage, but ill take that

billy rubin

home from work! 1300 miles with sheet metal to nebraska, then 1300 mioles back with bricks for pittsburgh. the wife says the snow on the road is deep, but she comes and gets me anyway. then she tries to call the daughter not to come home because the road is bad.

too late. the daughter is already stuck on the ridge top, trying to get in. the neighbor arrives with her in his little suv, in which he has crossed the hayfield to get to the house. so we go back out to look in the little three quarter ton

and yes she is indeed stuck in the snow. this is AFTER the snowplough came through

but everybody has done this before, many times, so we all know the drill

so we assess the situation

and everybody piles out to dig

and dig

periodically the wind stops so you can actually open your eyes

eventually we move enough snow that i can chain the minivan to the pickup and i pull it down the hill backwards to a flat spot.

the daughter gets back in and heads to town to spend the night there.

and we go back up and over the hay field to get home.

one hour later the neighbor is there on th eporch. he is stuck in the same place, trying to get out.

repeat

im going to bed now. above freezing tomorrow

Magdalena

^^^
Wow!
That looks cold!
I admire you. A lot. All of you. I would have died...if not from being so cold, probably from from crying so much.
:cryandrun:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Me too Mags. I would have died either from the cold or because I had used such foul language that the FSM struck me dead.

billy rubin

that little section of road is only about 1000 feet long, but it keeps people from wanting to live out here. its a steep west-facing slope and the wind blows the snow right to the top. when the snow is 3 inches deep in front of my house, its 9 inches deep up there. when the snow at the house is a foot, up there its three . . .

at the house it was no worse than this

got to admit i dont like the cold either, but spring is in ten days