News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What are you Eating right now?

Started by terranus, February 01, 2011, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFightSong

Quote from: billy rubin on January 29, 2022, 11:05:16 PM
Quote from: TheFightSong on January 29, 2022, 05:27:30 PM
Because meat was not easy to find in America before white settlers brought animals them on American soil.

fight song, i am an enrolled member of the cherokee nation, and my family has equal roots with the chickasaw.

the southern indians such as cherokee, choctaw, chickasaw, creek, and seminole were farmers, but had a lot of meat in their diet from whitetailed deer, bear, and fish. the cherokee hunted wildfowl with snares and used blowguns on both birds--such as turkey-- and small game like squirrels and rabbits. the choctaws used tbrowing sticks, as do the southwest indians. game was common and part of the americam diet all across the continent.

even tbe paiutes ate deer, elk, and buffalo, as sell as smsll game and fish

just sayin. i confess i am lousy at hitting anything with throwing sticks, even the australian kind
Thanks for updating my knowledge about the native Americans having meat in their diets.

Modern technology that makes foods at a rapid pace to distribute them all for customers has made traditional hunting less common in America. Hence, there has been a decreased demand for hunting talent and hunting skills in America. The physically strong hunters with sensitive senses used for hunting and focused predator-like mentality have all decreased in America's population. More Americans have desensitized their senses, such as hearing, tasting, smelling, and touching while shortening attention span for concentration when hunting. So, more people in America have damaged their senses while being lazier with sedentary lifestyles now than older generations. Which is why more Americans are less in touch with mother nature and healthy living. Because alcohol, smoking, harmful drugs, junk foods, junk drinks, sedentary lifestyle, staying indoors, and other ways of desensitizing their senses make them lose their connection to mother nature and healthy living. They are becoming increasingly greedy and corrupt consumers of amoral capitalism that damage their bodies' health, senses, and minds. Traditional hunting would stop the meat and dairy industries' methane pollution that currently threatens our ecosystem, mother nature, and people's bodies. Native Americans had a much healthier environment and way of eating in the past.

Otherwise, I am going to eat blueberries, creamy spinach, spicy oatmeal with dried cranberries, eggs, and bacon for breakfast.

TheFightSong

Quote from: billy rubin on January 29, 2022, 05:03:54 PM
QuoteRaisins taste like overly perfumed nipples.

fight song, you made me laugh out loud with that one.
:popcorn:

Tom62

I prepared an old family's recipe of my wife, namely deer goulash with red cabbage (with apples), cranberries, spätzle and cranberries. Took about three hours to cook, but that was worth every second. We drank a nice Dornfelder red wine with it.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

a bag of chopped lettuce, cabbage, and apples. with sunflowerseeds and some acidic soybean oil.

soda crackers and peanutbutter andsome mango flavored seltzer water.

i went into tbe truck stopto see wbTtbey had. tbe usual racks of crisps and pork cracklins, sugar invarious forms and a cooler u it with meat, cheese, meat sandwiches, cheese and meat sandwiches, anda whole shelf of sliced fruits ofvarious kinds. there is also a hardees, which is a ha.burger place.

vast cornfields out here withhay and silage  for animalfeex, interspersed with cattle ranchez. no feedlots, so kt looks liketbey truck tbecalves east after they wean em. only 29 inches of rainfall here so its field crops andbeef

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Quote from: billy rubin on January 30, 2022, 04:16:14 AM
just ordinary sweet potato?

what proportion with tbe oats?

Ordinary sweet potato.  The usual ratio of flour to potato is one to one.   Flat breads of this kind usually use regular wheat flour, not oat flour.  When using wheat flour, the patties will fluff up a little bit.  No yeast or leavening needed.  You can make flatbread in a few minutes, over a campfire if appropriate.   This kind of bread has been around for thousands of years.  You can use squash, white potato, or other mash able vegetable, with a little bit of sugar content, instead of sweet potato.  Cheap too. The veggies add some taste but the main function of the veg is to hold the flour together and hydrate the flour somewhat.

If you have the patience to experiment, the mixture might benefit for some rest time after mixing, so as to allow the flour to begin to become active and convert some of the protein in the flour, to a small amount of gluten.  That would tend to make the finished flat bread somewhat chewy.  You could overdo the gluten production by kneading the mixture a few minutes, let it rest for 15 minutes or so and then knead it some more. Then let it rest for a few minutes before putting it in the hot skillet.

I am going to try adding Jalapeno bits to the next batch..  Imagination is the only limit.  Try the flour and sweet potato mix, add some crispy bacon bits in the mixture.

I will wager that some of your back country Appalachian neighbors are entirely familiar with this kind of victual and its variations. 

billy rubin

nah my neighbors are into squirrel brains

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on February 01, 2022, 12:36:47 AM
nah my neighbors are into squirrel brains

They must have to collect a few for each mouth full.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

that friend came to a bad end. got old and liked to run over our guineas when she drove by. had a baby and moved back in with her grandmother. lived alone and was arrested for animal cruelty for leaving her calves and a horse without food or water til they starved to death. now shes in gaol