News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on December 20, 2021, 06:11:15 PM
And tomorrow is the shortest day of the year. And I mean daylight!  :geezer!:

Only in the cluttered hemisphere.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

So, I played golf as a kid 8-17 maybe, I have a memory of me and young Michael playing it as we thought it should be, running and hitting to get in the hole first.  When I was building my house aged about 27, the guy helping me got me on the course again, for a bit.  He had right lower left leg larger than norm due to previous issues, I didn't ask.  They took his leg off and he died not long after, I let my club membership go and didn't play any more.

So my mind was reminiscing, as a mind does in decline, thought I'd by some soft PU balls, to bash about in the (very large) back yard.

I bought 12 balls from a physical shop, ordered many more from the internet yet to arrive.

A few days ago started with an eight iron, hit some horrible some true.
Working down, six, four, three iron, four wood, three.
I got a blister, found an old glove, got another blister anyway, sore wrist.
For the first time I got to a point where I felt too muscle weary to do this properly.
I split firewood in the winter, that's a manly thing to do, I do it as lazily as I can.
I think I'd accepted the anti golf, "just old guys," no athleticism required stuff.
I find my abs tightening just thinking about it.
The precision required, the power delivered when done right, the flight of properly hit ball...
I might still be able to do it right, one or two out of three.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Got a leak in my drain pipe that is inside a block wall.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

billy rubin

dammit

winter.

two weeks ago i got sent 1800 miles to take drill pipe from ohio to utah, then 1400 miles to take bitumin from utah to texas, now 1300 miles to take drill casing from texas to michigan, and tomorrow some 450 mes to take steel from michigan to pennsylvania and then im supposed to go home for five or six days.

except tbat theyre forecasting eight to eleven inches of snow on my route which i will NOT attempt to drive through.

so my travel agents dont know it yet, but my last delivery will likely be late, until they do a number on tbe road.

but even then my house is three miles off the macadam, and so i cant get home until the overworked township guys get a plough through on my road.

my road is pretty bad in tbe winter  the township ploughs have gotten stuck themselvez twice on it since ive lived there

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

:rofl: We don't know we're born here. A couple of inches of snow and everything stops, figuratively and literally!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

You know how I cope with winter?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

billy rubin

i moved out onto the deserts 40 years ago to do that.

but i couldnt afford to stay there  too expensive.

Harmonie

Getting COVID. I'm very lucky that it is a mild case (I was vaccinated and was prescribed the pills as well), but it still has been frustrating - the very first day I had to miss out on going to a symphony performance I was really looking forward to, and then I had to delay a job interview. Thank goodness they were willing to reschedule.

As I said, though, very glad it has been a mild case for my household and I.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Harmonie on January 21, 2022, 01:03:25 AM
Getting COVID. I'm very lucky that it is a mild case (I was vaccinated and was prescribed the pills as well), but it still has been frustrating - the very first day I had to miss out on going to a symphony performance I was really looking forward to, and then I had to delay a job interview. Thank goodness they were willing to reschedule.

Good thing you and yours were vaccinated. One of my sons and I came down with it, he about 4 days before I. He works at a hardware store and sees hundreds of customers per day. He's masked at work (I'm retired), but we don't mask at home. We both had it really mild, but he had it worse than I did. Amazingly, it seems to have missed my wife and my youngest son.

Tank

Quote from: Harmonie on January 21, 2022, 01:03:25 AM

Glad to hear you got of relatively lightly.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

yes. many people still dont. im glad youre okay.

its a 200 hour wait for a hospital bed in houston. big cities in ohio and arizona are at 100 percent capacity. there are more people in hospital in america now than at any previous time, some 1500 to 2000 people a day are dying, i believe.

Icarus

Honest question:  Has the Trump mindset caused so many to resist or completely avoid the Covid Vaccine ?   Or is it merely mass stupidity, or gullibility, that seems to be indigenous within some of our tribes? 

No one

trumpanzees are about as bright as a wet match in a dark room.