News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

questions on Ny thing

Started by billy rubin, May 20, 2021, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

this a thread for random questions that come up in no order or context.

for ordinary questions and for weird and even stupid questions

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

what exactly isa "lounge?"

in america we have bars, we have bar&grilles, we have night clubs, and other things liketbat.

but what is a "lounge?"

do they recline on cushions, or slouch into chairs?

therez a "lounge" here on the ohio riverbank in west virginia, and i haveno idea whatis inside.

why did i post this in tbe "laidback lounge?"

what am i doing in here6 that makez me a lounger?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

:oooh-me!:

Bar & Grille  :beer: :drink:

Lounge & Café :cheersfortwo:

billy rubin

i thought you mostlydrank tea or coffee in cafes?

what is a cafe then, where you are?

Ecurb Noselrub

A "bar" has an actually bar where you can belly-up and order drinks.  A "lounge" serves drinks but usually has comfortable chairs and sometimes has musical or other acts, and may be a smoking establishment, as well, although that is less common, I think. But you can use them interchangeably and not violate any great universal law of nature. A "pub" is an English or Irish bar that serves stuff like Toad in the Hole, Bangers & Mash, fish & chips, etc. and they play darts. 

I want to start a pub called "Cock & Balls", with a logo featuring a rooster kicking a couple of footballs (soccer balls).  I will combine elements of bars, pubs, lounges, draft houses, and every other kind of drinking establishment.  I need to hire someone from England or Ireland to run it, though.   

Billy, you need to get out more often.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 20, 2021, 10:05:55 PM
I want to start a pub called "Cock & Balls", with a logo featuring a rooster kicking a couple of footballs (soccer balls).

:lol: That name would be such a tease. Your establishment would probably be at risk of getting confused for something else, though.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 20, 2021, 10:05:55 PM
Billy, you need to get out more often.

i suppose

ive been in a bar maybe a dozen times in the last 50 years
ive always wondered what a lounge was

do you still call them a lounge if they have a bar?

Bluenose

Traditionally in Australia a pub (public house) has a public bar which back in the day was men only, women's lib put paid to that idea, thankfully.  Also most pubs also had/heve a ladies lounge or lounge bar which also has a bar, but has (more or less) comfortable seats and tables.  Many pubs here also have beer gardens which are very pleasant in fine weather.  Pubs also used to be required to have acommodation as part of their licence requirement.  Less common, but becoming more so are establishments simply called bars.  These are generally in the bigger cities and basiically serve alcohol, but may have food.

On the food front, pubs generally server "counter meals" (AKA counterie) in the public bar and may either serve the same in the lounge or more elaborate meals.  These days many pubs have bistros which serve a great variety of different meals, plus some pubs have proper restaurants.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

why do salmon swim upstream to breed?

were they a saltwater fish that found swimming into creeks to lay eggs was advantageuos?

or were they a freshwater fish that found that being an adult in the ocean was a better way to go?

why swim all the way up the creeks? is the elevation al difference between sea level and the creeks the same as the difference between current sea level and the last high stand? maybe they originally bred in the little coastal creeks and tbe reason they go so far up today is that the ocean was higher when they started.

that would mean that salmin evolved their mating journeys before the pleistocene, in the last warm period of the cenozoic. so their pleistocene migrations would have been epic, with 200 metres more elevation between beach and breeding pool.

or not?

this has always bothered me.

Icarus

^Billy, you are thinking too much. Don't stop doing that.  Too many of outr red blooded Americans do not bother to think at all.

billy rubin

i cant help myself.

im stuckina staging yardwith seven otber trucks for the next 12 to 18 hours because tbeyre swapping wellheads up on the pad and all tbe things i dont know take the opportunity to pop up and bother me.

im re-reading dawkins selfish gene atm. he annoys me whenhe talks about religion, but as a speculative sociobiologis he is first-rate. he's the guy that took williams ideas about tbe units of natural selection and ran with it, back in1975. the result wS his startling proposal tbat natural selection doesnt care about individuals, its tbe actual genes in our cells that are descended from the replicating molecules in tbe old primaeval soup that are competing against each other. heady stuff when i first encountered it.

still pretty fundamental. we're just big bags of goo that our mindless genes use to make more copies of themselves. profound imications on consciounezs and what it means to be alive or not alive.

billy rubin

on thesalmon, i was wondering whether their migration had a geologic component, aswas proposed for green sea turtles at ascension island, way back when

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/05/30/archives/turtle-migration-is-linked-to-geophysics-scientists-attribute.html

^^^thatidea proposed that tbe turtles swim so far to lay eggs because originally he island was close by. thentheir beaches ended up on tbe other side of tbe new spreading mid ocean ridge, and they had to swim a half-inch farther every year for 80 million years. now tbeyre stuck, going what the hell happened?

No one

Why do I keep getting W&W's in my M&M's?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on June 14, 2021, 04:19:27 PM
Why do I keep getting W&W's in my M&M's?

Those belong to the person across from you, stingy.  :P

No one

Not sure I could even get my reflection to sit across from me.