News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

lots of us have animals in our lives. pets, livestock, weird relationships, historical anomalies. animals are interesting to me, and there are shitloads of them.

what's in yours?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

ive had new additions

som eo you may recall that back in the winter i rescud a kitten from a pile of deadout beehives. well, it stck, and is now a juvenile female cat. gray, like most all the other kittens in the vicinity of otis, my 11 pound gray tom. she's a friendly animal, on her own terms:

then there's th ebees i recently added. for packages. haven't bough packages in a while, so this was interesting.

and today e went and picked up two baby possums from a friend who extracted them from the pouch of a recent roadkill

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Dark Lightning

We currently have a beagle/dachshund (b/d) mix and a Prince Charles Cavalier Spaniel mix, both rescues from the local shelter. The b/d got recycled twice due to issues with kids. The kids were taking her toys away and she took exception to that...duh. It took her awhile to assimilate, probably because of being recycled twice. We got lucky- part dachshund that doesn't dig, part beagle that doesn't run about barking like a complete imbecile. The spaniel mix is "Prince" instead of "King" because of coloration. The "mix", I jokingly call coyote, because these spaniels typically have really short legs, and her legs are really long, plus she has a large torso. She looks almost wolf-like in proportions. It has taken her many months to assimilate. I suspect that her previous owners were quite authoritarian. She would not go out for toilet unless supervised and let out through the regular door. I understand that she lived in an apartment or a condo before, so that could be part of it. We got her to go out through the dog door whenever she wants, and managed to get her to run around like a puppy, which it seemed she never did before. She used to fall down making turns due to low muscle strength. She's gained a few pounds, and it's obviously muscle. She doesn't fall down anymore when running around. Both are smart as whips, which for me is a welcome change from the (two) Maltese and (one) Chihuahua that we used to have...though I still miss that one sweet little Maltese dog.

billy rubin

dang

the people we got the possums from have a new dog . . .

a dachsund/beagle mix.

has an affinity for shoes. picked one up to carry around while everybody else was doing greeting ceremoniez

Tank

Sally

Katie

Katie when wet.

Sally doesn't do wet. She is Teflon coated. Katie has all the dirt resistance of a nappy!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

One can never have too many cushions.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on April 23, 2020, 01:16:52 AM
and today e went and picked up two baby possums from a friend who extracted them from the pouch of a recent roadkill

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Those possums are so cute! :grin: Send one to me? :tellmemore:

:P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

At the moment I don't have any pets. Not that I don't want any, it's just my future is a bit uncertain right now. Even before this coronavirus pandemic I didn't know if I wanted to stay in Brazil or not, and even if I stay I'm probably going to move around quite a bit.

If I survive, that is. ::)

But anyway...this is Kyra, my beautiful German Shepard dog. My all time favourite pic of her:

Once she learnt how to retrieve balls became a bit obsessed with the game. Her way of interacting with people (especially welcome strangers) was by placing a ball at their feet.

More pics:

(Her beautiful almond eyes were one of her most striking features, besides the floppy ear  ;D ).

Kyra showing all her personality in this pic.

Unfortunately she lost motor control of her hind legs in 2017. She deteriorated so much that we had to euthanise her in January of the next year. Still makes me very sad to think about it, but that's life, I guess. We generally outlive our pets by many years.

Here's a short video of her about a month before she passed away.

(Camera shy...)

She was always in pain, even though we gave her a twice-daily cocktail of anti-inflammatory and pain medication. My only regret was not euthanising her sooner, to end her suffering. But when she did, she died at home (less stressful for her) with a barbiturate overdose after she had gone under general anesthesia.   

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 23, 2020, 02:04:35 PM

She was always in pain, even though we gave her a twice-daily cocktail of anti-inflammatory and pain medication. My only regret was not euthanising her sooner, to end her suffering. But when she did, she died at home (less stressful for her) with a barbiturate overdose after she had gone under general anesthesia.   

yes. i usde to take dogs th ethe vet when they were too far gone. scared em because they knew it smelled like  a place dogs go to die. no more.

now i take em out under the elm tree, give em something special to eat and put a bullet through their foramen magnum. they die happy and at home. its an obligation, as i see it, but i live in a place where i can do that. not everybody does.

in the meantime,

iheyre definitely pouch babies. theyre tolerant of anything you do but keep hanging on tight until you drop them into a wooly hat or a stocking. then they quiet doen immediately and go to sleep

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on April 23, 2020, 02:36:13 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 23, 2020, 02:04:35 PM

yes. i usde to take dogs th ethe vet when they were too far gone. scared em because they knew it smelled like  a place dogs go to die. no more.

now i take em out under the elm tree, give em something special to eat and put a bullet through their foramen magnum. they die happy and at home. its an obligation, as i see it, but i live in a place where i can do that. not everybody does.

Even if I had a gun and some quiet spot to take my dog, I couldn't distance myself psychologically enough to pull the trigger.  :-\ Even if the outcome is the same.

billy rubin

its not everybodys choice. but i take it as an obligation to an animal to treat it with respect and to prevent suffering whenever i possibly can. for me, that means accompanying the animal and participating in its death in a way that ensures what i see to be  as humane and pain and suffering-free as i possibly can. i can most surely make that hppen by providing the death myslf.

the two moral outrages that cause me to see red and cntemplate violence are mistreatment of animals and children.

ive killed vast numbers of things in my life. little creatures, big creatures, with guns, knives, clubs, axes, my bare hands, you name it. years ago i stopped killing things, even to eat, if there was anyreasonable way around it. but i make an exception for animls who have been my  friends.

don't have to do it much, but i'll remember every occasion forever.