News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: July poll/discussion

Started by Sandra Craft, June 15, 2021, 01:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Grunt: the curious science of humans at war, by Mary Roach.  A book not about fighting or tactics, but the science behind keeping ones own soldiers alive.  (288 pages)

Laughing Without an Accent: Adventures of an Iranian American at Home and Abroad, by Firoozeh Dumas. A collection of humorous vignettes by the author of Funny in Farsi, primarily centered on the misadventures of her Iranian immigrant family.  (256 pages)

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, by Annie Dillard.  Dillard's personal narrative highlights one year's exploration on foot in the Virginia region through which Tinker Creek runs. The result is an exhilarating tale of nature and its seasons.  (288 pages)

The Sky's the Limit, by Anna Magnusson.  In 2004, Vicky Jack completed the Seven Summits - the highest mountains in each of the seven continents. Whilst pursuing her climbing dream, she also carried on a high-flying career. This book tells her story.  (212 pages)

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running: a memoir, by Haruki Murakami.  Based on Murakami's journal about training for the NYC marathon, it's about writing, running and how they intersect.   (188 pages)
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I like the Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. 

As for Vicky Jack, she has to be a a bit disarranged.  So what if you climb mountains?  Courage and endurance to be sure, common sense and a life of usefulness...................????  Nonetheless the book might be interesting.  Laughing without Accent could be a fun read.

Sorry Sandy. I did not choose fairly or at all.  I do lean toward the Farsi one.

Davin

I read What I Talk about When I Talk About Running. I've read a few books by Haruki Murakami and we've at least one in this book club.

The book is as advertised, a memoir and a little bit more. I had read On Writing by Stephen King just prior to reading this book, and there was also a good bit of writing advice in this one. The author talks about preparing for a triathlon, not the first he'd attempted and not the last either, while recalling the details in his life that lead to him becoming an author and how running and writing had become dependent on each other and intertwined in his life.

I think it was a good read.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.