Happy Atheist Forum

Covid Vaccine

Bad Penny II

• Idiot Symmetrician
Re: Covid Vaccine
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2021, 10:10:35 AM »
With what would Darwin have to agree?

with icarus

Ignorance may very well be the cause of many of their funerals.

i do stuff that people think is dangerous. but i take ordinary precautions. when i race ancient motorcycles, i wear full cowhide leathers, boots, gloves,  and a state of the art fibrglas helmet because i am not willfully ignorant of the risks. i use common sense. well, sort of.

willfully ignorant people will weed themselves out of the gene pool, to the extent that their willfullness is heritable, and constitutes a negative selection pressure. if they're all past breeding age, it won't matter. but stupidly ignorant people who fail to reproduce will do the whole gene pool a favor.

at this stage of the pandemic, to not understand the advantages of vaccination is a willful refusal to understand, not a lack of information.

I don't think COVID vaccination is going to make much difference to the rate of "stupidly ignorant people" reproducing, they do tend to be better at reproducing than more educated people.  Humans living past breeding age probably does benefit gene transmission.  Mothers and grandmothers (human/primate/other) assist with offspring.  Maybe even old blokes are of some use.  :-\

I'm not sure Darwin would agree, human society isn't really the evolutionary equivalent of a free market.

billy rubin

• humble azpirant to the throne3 of typos
  • i actually do not know what LætusAtheos means
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2021, 02:08:18 PM »
I agree with that. Also, that is a great photo and you are looking good.

leathers make everybody look like a superhero. when i take em off i melt back into my normal sort of muddle.

Mom: “I Should Have Stopped Using TP Years Ago! This New Device Is A Godsend”

billy rubin

• humble azpirant to the throne3 of typos
  • i actually do not know what LætusAtheos means
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2021, 02:30:05 PM »
I'm not sure Darwin would agree, human society isn't really the evolutionary equivalent of a free market.

maybe not, in the short term. risk taking is messy. theressome work thats been done that shows that human emigration is associated with a specific set of alleles. now i cant find it. the meaning is that wanderers have something genetic in common that they dont share with stay at homers. is that risk taking gene adaptive? i think so, in that the genes havespread worldwide maybe covid deniers dont have it. but is it a cost?

it may just be intelligence. but as you say, maybeits swamped out by stupider people reproducing more.

Mom: “I Should Have Stopped Using TP Years Ago! This New Device Is A Godsend”

Tom62

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2021, 04:35:49 AM »
If everything goes well, I should get my first jab somewhere in summer. Looking at how things are disorganised over here, my expectation is that October or November is more likely.

People are so fed up with the incompetence of the politicians, that the ruling political parties (CDU and SPD) will lose heavily in the next elections.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein