News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Music that moves you

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 16, 2018, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

...moves you emotionally, that is. ;)

Two that bring me close to tears are 'Nessun Dorma' (sung by Pavarotti) and 'Gift of a Thistle' (from the Braveheart OST).

It's funny because I don't even listen to opera and Scottish bagpipe music.  ::)

What about you?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Thanks, my dear. This is a welcome theme, but I fear I am going to submit too many examples. You may have noticed that I like quite a wide range of, mainly, classical music (for want of a better term) that moves me deeply.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

hermes2015

Schubert's Der Hirt auf dem Felsen sung by 14 year-old Aksel Rykkvin.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

A flash mob performance in Sabadell of Ode an die Freude from Beethoven's Symphony No. 9.

― Charles Eames

hermes2015

The very moving performance of Stairway to Heaven by Ann and Nancy Wilson at the Led Zeppelin Tribute concert, Kennedy Center.

― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Whilst I firmly believe religion is a load of bollocks, there has been some truly magnificent music written over the years with a religious subtext.

Nabucco - Hebrew Slaves Chorus

G.Allegri: Miserere mei, Deus Choir of Ormond College

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Bluenose on March 17, 2018, 10:29:56 AM
Whilst I firmly believe religion is a load of bollocks, there has been some truly magnificent music written over the years with a religious subtext.

Absolutely correct. The Allegri Miserere is wonderful music.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Can't wait to listen to all of these! :grin:

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 17, 2018, 03:32:17 AM
Thanks, my dear. This is a welcome theme, but I fear I am going to submit too many examples. You may have noticed that I like quite a wide range of, mainly, classical music (for want of a better term) that moves me deeply.

Yes, I've noticed. :P

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on March 17, 2018, 10:29:56 AM

This is true. :smilenod:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 17, 2018, 05:49:50 AM
Schubert's Der Hirt auf dem Felsen sung by 14 year-old Aksel Rykkvin.

Ok, I am seriously impressed.  :tellmemore:

Icarus

Hermes, that little girl puts something in the hat and then Beethoven's Ninth happens. Magnificent.   That has been one of my favorite flash mobs for a long time.

Here is a little girl who does Nessum Dorma and a separate variety of other impressive classic compositions with a stunning voice.....  In this one, start at about one minute and finish at less than three. The rest is just show biz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIU8TlMbags

It is gratifying that some of my friends here at HAF do enjoy formal music.

I confess that I also like swing,  That's because I grew up with that kind of stuff.....a really really long time ago.   Dial up the Munich Swing Orchestra on You tube.  Some of the Teutons like swing, one would observe.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MxsJyXTO5M

The Brits are not immune to that old music. Here is a BBC group. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcknIbp-A4Y&list=PL_qkxQTGaIA0fP3zcDe1w9An3ST8bxfFw

Japanese kids dig swing also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0xRQb_K1hE  Harmonie, check out the licorice stick solo at about 2:30.  These kids can play.  There are several Japanese high school groups that compete with Swing music.

Sandra Craft

I've got a big soft spot for Ralph Vaugh Williams, esp. The Lark Ascending

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 19, 2018, 04:35:20 AM
I've got a big soft spot for Ralph Vaugh Williams, esp. The Lark Ascending

I also like Vaughan Williams. I have two other excellent versions of The Lark Ascending played by Hilary Hahn and Nigel Kennedy, of which I think I prefer Kennedy's. I think you will enjoy the Vaughan Williams Oboe Concerto, which has a similar bucolic feeling.

― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on March 18, 2018, 11:36:08 PM
I confess that I also like swing,  That's because I grew up with that kind of stuff.....a really really long time ago.

Then I'm sure you will like Benny Goodman playing Aaron Copland's Clarinet Concerto (conducted by Copland):

― Charles Eames