News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

One thing that Trump bloviated about during the campaign that seemed like it might actually be a good thing for the country was a plan to refurbish its infrastructure. This is something that is really needed, and it would be a boost for the economy. More details about it are coming out, and it's becoming clear that Trump doesn't really want to "fix our inner cities and rebuild our highways, bridges, tunnels, airports, schools, hospitals" at all. Like just about everything else that comes out of his mouth, that was a lie.

Instead, what he wants to do is provide generous tax breaks for big construction companies for projects that generally will not have anything to do with highways, bridges, tunnels, airports, schools and hospitals. In other words, a nice fat boondoggle for corporate fat cats. So it goes.

"Trump Infrastructure Plan Busted For Being A Tax Cut Scam That Won't Create Jobs" | PoliticsUSA

QuoteDonald Trump's infrastructure plan that some Democrats said that they might be able to support is not an infrastructure bill at all. Trump's plan is not to spend government money on job-creating projects but to give tax cuts to contractors and the construction sector.

[. . .]

. . . Trump's plan isn't really a jobs plan, either. Because the plan subsidizes investors, not projects; because it funds tax breaks, not bridges; because there's no requirement that the projects be otherwise unfunded, there is simply no guarantee that the plan will produce any net new hiring. Investors may simply shift capital from unsubsidized projects to subsidized ones and pocket the tax breaks on projects they would have funded anyway. Contractors have no obligation to hire new workers, or expand workers' hours, to collect their $85 billion. To their credit, the plan's authors don't call it a jobs plan; ironically, it is Democrats looking to align with Trump who have given it that name. They should not fool themselves.

[Continues . . .]

Another story about this: "Trump's infrastructure plan is just a windfall for Wall Street" | ThinkProgress

I'm not at all surprised at yet another revolting development as we move into the Trump era, but I'll admit I'm slightly disappointed.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

I get that with some politicians, you can expect that a few of their campaign promises will not be followed through, I'd even expect it from Hillary. However, how many of Trump's promises are things he's actually going to work on? I mean, it would have been great if Trump "drained the swamp" and got rid of political corruption, but I doubted that he would do it and as expected, he has added to it rather than reduced it.

Now I just wonder how much Trump has to do (or rather not do), before the people that voted for him realize they made a huge mistake. I'm certain that some will never, but a good majority of them will hopefully figure it out over the next few years.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Let's hope it's a one-term presidency and that Congress will restrain some of his insanity.  Hope, I say.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Davin on November 23, 2016, 04:24:09 PM
Now I just wonder how much Trump has to do (or rather not do), before the people that voted for him realize they made a huge mistake. I'm certain that some will never, but a good majority of them will hopefully figure it out over the next few years.

I don't think so, why would you think so?
A change of government results from a few percent changing sides.
Peoples aren't rational, they're partisan.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 24, 2016, 12:05:07 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 23, 2016, 04:24:09 PM

I don't think so, why would you think so?
A change of government results from a few percent changing sides.
Peoples aren't rational, they're partisan.

Yeah, I'm about 99% certain they're just going to blame Obama for all of it.

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

A couple of articles on Trump's incessant lying, and how it perhaps has deeper significance than the usual political dishonesty we're used to.

First, some ideas on how the press could attempt to cope with and combat Trump's chronic lack of honesty.

"How to Deal With the Lies of Donald Trump: Guidelines for the Media" | The Atlantic

I think the main thing is the first: "Call out lies as lies, not 'claims.'" That is, stop legitimizing Trump's dishonesty by soft-pedalling it with euphemisms.

The other is an examination of that "deeper significance" I mentioned above.

"Trump's lies have a purpose. They are an assault on democracy." | ThinkProgress

QuoteAll politicians lie. In a democracy, they usually tell lies to achieve a particular result: Maybe they want to conceal information that would damage their reputations, or take credit for something they had nothing to do with. Sometimes a falsehood can obstruct a piece of undesirable legislation, or facilitate the passage of a desirable one. But in each of these cases, a lie tends to be little more than a momentary deviation from the truth. It's a brief sojourn outside the borders of our stable, shared reality.

Some political lies are more ambitious than that. Sometimes the goal isn't to embroider reality as it currently exists, but to construct a new reality out of whole cloth.

[. . .]

President-elect Donald Trump does not create new realities. He tells lies that are seemingly random, frequently inconsistent, and often plainly ridiculous.

He says or tweets things on the record and then denies having ever said them. He contradicts documented fact and then disregards anyone who points out the inaccuracies. He even lies when he has no discernible reason to do so — and then turns around and tells another lie that flies in the face of the previous one.

[. . .]

It is tempting to suppose Trump built this phantasmagoria by accident — that it is the byproduct of an erratic, undisciplined, borderline pathological approach to dishonesty. But the president-elect should not be underestimated. His victories in both the Republican primary and the general election were stunning upsets, and he is now set to alter the course of world history. If he does not fully understand what he is doing, his advisers certainly do.

[. . .]

It is tempting to take solace in the belief that, if Trump cannot be taken literally, his extreme rhetoric might conceal a secret moderate streak. But that hope would be misplaced. Non-linear warfare is intrinsically authoritarian. The president-elect is speaking the language of dictators.

[Continues . . .]

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Icarus on November 29, 2016, 01:35:58 AM
http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/11/28/texas-elector-to-resign-instead-of-voting-for-donald-trump/21615810/

I don't know if I'm impressed for him sticking to his convictions and being dignified enough to step aside rather than raising a Kim Davis style hissy fit... Or scared that the only reason he came to these conclusions is "I can't find it in scripture."

Although I would like it if he would share some of his scriptural findings (or lack thereof) with the foaming Evangelical masses who think this dude is a savior for some reason.

Recusant

Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 29, 2016, 04:00:05 PM. . . Although I would like it if he would share some of his scriptural findings (or lack thereof) with the foaming Evangelical masses who think this dude is a savior for some reason.

He goes into detail, citing the Bible, here.
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Recusant on November 29, 2016, 05:03:33 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 29, 2016, 04:00:05 PM. . . Although I would like it if he would share some of his scriptural findings (or lack thereof) with the foaming Evangelical masses who think this dude is a savior for some reason.

He goes into detail, citing the Bible, here.

Ew. That was gross to read. I guess my feeble lady brains just can't comprehend such divinity.

But I do thank you for the insight.

Recusant

Heh, yes I probably should have mentioned that he relies almost exclusively on the Old Testament.  :bleh:
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

Welp, I stand by my statement that it is admirable for him to admit he is unable to fulfill the duties of his office and step aside.

Dave

Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 29, 2016, 07:59:14 PM
Welp, I stand by my statement that it is admirable for him to admit he is unable to fulfill the duties of his office and step aside.

Good example for  Trunk. Trump to follow.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74