Happy Atheist Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Happy New Orbit Day!!!
« Last post by Recusant on July 29, 2021, 05:16:56 AM »

Ye?

Celebration:1) A joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
I think not, not after your 21st anyway.

2) Any joyous diversion
Hmm, maybe joyous for we others but surely not for the incrementally older

3) The public performance of a sacrament or solemn ceremony with all appropriate ritual
Ye, that's more like it, that's what birthdays are.

Solemn commiserations Rec

I find it disturbing, the planets don't don't seem to be in a plane around old Sol, they appear to be all over the place.

Then why do we need to keep repeating it?

If you fall out of orbit the sun moves on, it gets dark, there's no wifi.

Dictionaries are necessary but insufficient. As noted, a funeral can be justly called a celebration un-ironically. The accuracy of that appellation depends on the funeral, and which aspect of the word you're thinking of.

It's true that I chose my words carefully-- Fully in agreement as I am that at some point in life one acknowledges the completion of another orbit implies the dwindling number of same that lie ahead. So what? It's always been a sooner or later proposition. Meanwhile: eat, drink, and be merry. Or not. Compelling people to engage in merriment produces grotesque results. Thank you for your kind commiserations.   :kelly:
Current Events / Re: Covid Vaccine
« Last post by Ecurb Noselrub on July 29, 2021, 03:20:13 AM »
We are getting a lot of negative pushback, but I don’t think Abbott is going to intervene.  We are not the first system in Texas to do this, and he didn’t intervene there.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Happy New Orbit Day!!!
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on July 29, 2021, 03:05:19 AM »
[...] ring steward at a dog show.[...]

How did you end up doing that?  :P
Religion / Re: Who Would Have Thought?
« Last post by Bluenose on July 29, 2021, 02:46:28 AM »
I was brought up catholic right up until the point when I realised it was all bullshit.  I then thought that a lot of religious people were well meaning but deluded.  In recent years I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that religion and especially the various religious hierarchies are actually a malignant force.  This is just (yet another) case in point.  A pox on all their houses.
Here's a 60mph shot from our ride to Gwynn's Island yesterday.

Current Events / Re: Situation in South Africa
« Last post by Icarus on July 28, 2021, 08:24:04 PM »
Here in the US we have a different kind of tribalism but it is in full bloom. 

Adding to your SA difficulties, there is the Kalahari. Reports are that the extreme heat is progressing faster there than anywhere else on earth. Add a crippling drought to that and the the Meerkats, Gemsboks and those other exotic  animals are in big trouble.

« Last post by Icarus on July 28, 2021, 08:05:32 PM »
Ecurb,Your company policy is brave, responsible, and fiscally dangerous. What with all those employees, there will be many of them who will try to take the firm to court. Violating their right to freedom and all that simple minded bullshit. Worse! You are in Texas where there are so many Texans with an attitude.   But you are fully aware of all that. Right?

What is the staunch GOP governor whatizname....Abbot?... going to do about this brazen violation of freedom to be stupid?

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Game: The Next Person... (true or false)
« Last post by Bad Penny II on July 28, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »
False, Vac 'em all, fk exemptions
TNP thinks they should grow something, for the good of the Earth and such, but probably wont.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Game: The Next Person... (true or false)
« Last post by Ecurb Noselrub on July 28, 2021, 02:54:04 PM »
True, I am a citizen who is responsible for many crimes, mistakes, goofs, and stupid decisions. I accept my responsibility, but will not admit to any specifics in a court of law or public opinion.

TNP thinks everyone should be vaccinated, allowing for only limited exemptions.
« Last post by Ecurb Noselrub on July 28, 2021, 02:50:44 PM »
My organization, a health care organization employing over 40,000 people, has instituted a mandated vaccination requirement for all employees by Oct. 1.  There are some exemptions, but they will be scrutinized carefully.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]