News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I'm resurrecting this thread with progress on my handmade bow. It's an oak board bow backed with fiberglass tape. No idea what the final draw weight will be but it's coming together nicely so far.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

cool

nobody does longbows around here

i've got one we inherited from a man who died a while back, but no strings are available locally

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

There's a guy named Kramer Ammons who makes Flemish twist strings not too far from you I think. He's the fellow who inspired me to make this one.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

i know nothing about archery except that is fascinating, one of those things on my list to know more about, when i have more time to know more things.

i'm interested in primitive technology, and the longbow is right there at the tipping point between primitive and modern in both household economics and politics.

https://www.kramerammons.com/

^^^this guy is interesting

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

and now we are buying a string.

jumbo, thank you

jumbojak

You are welcome Billy. I'll be making my string.

billy rubin

jumbojak

I have string on the way, it's a synthetic but don't tell anyone, and I'll be making a Flemish twist jig. Might do that today actually.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on March 30, 2020, 01:31:20 PM
I have string on the way, it's a synthetic but don't tell anyone, and I'll be making a Flemish twist jig. Might do that today actually.

You will need this music to do the Flemish jig.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 30, 2020, 02:18:42 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 30, 2020, 01:31:20 PM

You will need this music to do the Flemish jig.

That would certainly make it all the more epic! :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

It's not pretty but it was my first attempt.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

cool

we recived ours from the kramer man immediately, but it was too short as i mis-measured our bow. have to get another

what do the rest of the numbers mean?

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on April 05, 2020, 09:10:05 PM
Looks very neat.

It needs a lot of work. My technique that is.

Quote from: billy rubin on April 05, 2020, 10:29:39 PM
cool

we recived ours from the kramer man immediately, but it was too short as i mis-measured our bow. have to get another

what do the rest of the numbers mean?

Is it 57" total length, 57" string, or 57" from knock to knock?

I would guess that it's a 44 pound bow at a 28" draw but that's just a guess. The second line might be a stock number.

billy rubin

well, measured in a free hanging straight line the bow is 53 inchez, nock to nock. but its 57 inchez nock to nock meazured along tbe inside, in contact.

i was calling this a longbow. is it curved enough to qualify asa recurve? the difference is one inch in the string