News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

We are watching the Britannia TV series, you can be Brutus Green
Two guys have consumed some substance and are having a deep and meaningful discussion.
Grumble, grumble alright, I'll be the believer, do we get to have some substance?  No.

I've been in this legion a while now
Been all over Egypt, Trieste, Gaul, now here
On my travels I've noticed something

Oh ye, what's that

All those places, everywhere you go the gods are different

Expand

I mean they have different names different numbers of arms, eyes heads, sometimes they're elephants, sometimes nightingales, trees, virgins.  I've been thinking how can that be, how can the gods over here be different to the gods over there? 

You've lost me

We have gods for everything right?
Swords

Volcanus

Shields

Cerepus

Exactly, helmet, pillow, tinder box, soap
We have Pino, god of the boot, when I put my boot on I say a pray to Pino so all day long the boot stays on, the leather doesn't fray, the buckle doesn't snap

I do the same, every morning every night

Exactly, so we have Pino, god of the boot

All hail to him

The Egyptians, they didn't know who Pino was, they didn't even have a god or goddess of the boot, but they had boots, and the Celts have boots but I bet they don't know who Pino is
And now this is my point, why is Pino only interested in our boots?

Boots are important, and we give thanks to Pino and our boots don't fall apart,

Brutus

So we say a pray to him and he keeps our boots ship shape, I mean look at them, my boots look great, and they're really comfy right now

You're missing the point, the Egyptians have Horus, the god of war, a falcon headed man with a red and white crown, we have Mars.  Now all it would take for me to believe in Horus, to worship Horus rather than Mars is to be born in Egypt. I instantly think Mars is bollocks, and even if he isn't bollocks he's nowhere as powerful and amazing a Horus.
Don't you see, everywhere we go it's different

I think I know what you mean

Good, now if we think Horus is bollocks and they think Mars is bollocks, maybe both are bollocks, maybe it's all bollocks, maybe my boot is just my boot and if it breaks it's not because I've offended Pino, it's just my boot broke and that's all

Of course there's Pino, there's always been Pino

But what if there hasn't

There's always been Cerepus

But what if there hasn't?

Stop now

Jupiter I slayed my best friend, I took a blade and severed his head from his body, send a thunderbolt and strike me dead, do it now for Brutus to behold

(some time spent looking upward fearfully)

Wo

Do you see?

I want you to stop talking
Stop talking, don't say another word

We're alone Brutus, we, are alone
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

I've been feeling really down lately. I don't know if it's depression of just momentary sadness, but I feel like I can't tell anybody other than the four walls of my room. I don't know why. I don't see mental illnesses as weaknesses or character flaws by any means...but it's like I'm not allowed to feel anything other than happy? I don't want to burden my mother, for instance, with what's going on inside my head.

These past few days have been spent doing little more than watching videos on Youtube. I don't feel like doing anything else. I can't sleep when I'm tired and can't stay awake when I have to. It's all rather fucked up.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Go and get some exercise! You will thank me tomorrow. Reminds me of a story.

Psychologist talks on the phone with a near suicidal depressive patient, and advises him to go swimming for exercise, to help with his depression. Hangs up, and then panics and calls him up and asks if he can swim!  ;D

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 05, 2021, 12:39:12 PM
We are watching the Britannia TV series, you can be Brutus Green
Two guys have consumed some substance and are having a deep and meaningful discussion.
Grumble, grumble alright, I'll be the believer, do we get to have some substance?  No.

I've been in this legion a while now
Been all over Egypt, Trieste, Gaul, now here
On my travels I've noticed something

Oh ye, what's that

All those places, everywhere you go the gods are different

Expand

I mean they have different names different numbers of arms, eyes heads, sometimes they're elephants, sometimes nightingales, trees, virgins.  I've been thinking how can that be, how can the gods over here be different to the gods over there? 

You've lost me

We have gods for everything right?
Swords

Volcanus

Shields

Cerepus

Exactly, helmet, pillow, tinder box, soap
We have Pino, god of the boot, when I put my boot on I say a pray to Pino so all day long the boot stays on, the leather doesn't fray, the buckle doesn't snap

I do the same, every morning every night

Exactly, so we have Pino, god of the boot

All hail to him

The Egyptians, they didn't know who Pino was, they didn't even have a god or goddess of the boot, but they had boots, and the Celts have boots but I bet they don't know who Pino is
And now this is my point, why is Pino only interested in our boots?

Boots are important, and we give thanks to Pino and our boots don't fall apart,

Brutus

So we say a pray to him and he keeps our boots ship shape, I mean look at them, my boots look great, and they're really comfy right now

You're missing the point, the Egyptians have Horus, the god of war, a falcon headed man with a red and white crown, we have Mars.  Now all it would take for me to believe in Horus, to worship Horus rather than Mars is to be born in Egypt. I instantly think Mars is bollocks, and even if he isn't bollocks he's nowhere as powerful and amazing a Horus.
Don't you see, everywhere we go it's different

I think I know what you mean

Good, now if we think Horus is bollocks and they think Mars is bollocks, maybe both are bollocks, maybe it's all bollocks, maybe my boot is just my boot and if it breaks it's not because I've offended Pino, it's just my boot broke and that's all

Of course there's Pino, there's always been Pino

But what if there hasn't

There's always been Cerepus

But what if there hasn't?

Stop now

Jupiter I slayed my best friend, I took a blade and severed his head from his body, send a thunderbolt and strike me dead, do it now for Brutus to behold

(some time spent looking upward fearfully)

Wo

Do you see?

I want you to stop talking
Stop talking, don't say another word

We're alone Brutus, we, are alone

Brilliant.  :bravo:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 10, 2021, 01:50:42 AM

Can't hurt.  ;D I've been trying to walk at least an hour and a half almost everyday. It's all I have the time and energy for.

QuotePsychologist talks on the phone with a near suicidal depressive patient, and advises him to go swimming for exercise, to help with his depression. Hangs up, and then panics and calls him up and asks if he can swim!  ;D

Hehe!  ;D

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Psychologist talks on the phone with a near suicidal depressive patient, and advises him to go swimming for exercise, to help with his depression. Hangs up, and then panics and calls him up and asks if he can swim!  ;D
I walk at least six miles a day, I work out every week day, I drink plenty of water, I have a great relationship with my girlfriend, I have a healthy relationship with friends and family, I have a great job that challenges me, I read books, I have fun and creative hobbies... I still have depression and feel down from time to time.

I can't tell you how many times I've received advice like this and can't stress enough how little it works. I feel a little to very sad from time to time for no reason at all. There is no external cause for it, and there are no external solutions. Took me a lot longer than is rational to come to the conclusion that me feeling really shitty isn't the result of me not doing "10 easy tricks to cure depression" and it's a real condition. Turns out, mental illnesses don't have simple solutions. Who knew?

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 10, 2021, 12:46:35 AM
I've been feeling really down lately. I don't know if it's depression of just momentary sadness, but I feel like I can't tell anybody other than the four walls of my room. I don't know why. I don't see mental illnesses as weaknesses or character flaws by any means...but it's like I'm not allowed to feel anything other than happy? I don't want to burden my mother, for instance, with what's going on inside my head.

These past few days have been spent doing little more than watching videos on Youtube. I don't feel like doing anything else. I can't sleep when I'm tired and can't stay awake when I have to. It's all rather fucked up.   
I hope the advice helps. I hope that it's temporary. But also, I hope you don't feel worse if trying it doesn't help.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Randy

Quote from: Davin on May 10, 2021, 07:41:41 PM

I walk at least six miles a day, I work out every week day, I drink plenty of water, I have a great relationship with my girlfriend, I have a healthy relationship with friends and family, I have a great job that challenges me, I read books, I have fun and creative hobbies... I still have depression and feel down from time to time.

I can't tell you how many times I've received advice like this and can't stress enough how little it works. I feel a little to very sad from time to time for no reason at all. There is no external cause for it, and there are no external solutions. Took me a lot longer than is rational to come to the conclusion that me feeling really shitty isn't the result of me not doing "10 easy tricks to cure depression" and it's a real condition. Turns out, mental illnesses don't have simple solutions. Who knew?

I hope the advice helps. I hope that it's temporary. But also, I hope you don't feel worse if trying it doesn't help.
I've been suffering from clinical depression probably throughout my life but finally saw a doctor about it. I was less shy afterward and less nervous in crowds. I don't know why I waited so long. I'm on maintenance drugs for it for the most part. It doesn't remove depression that has a basis behind it (like watching my father die) but it does remove the irrational fear of socializing.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

I hear you guys, I hear you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Randy on May 11, 2021, 05:06:54 AM
Quote from: Davin on May 10, 2021, 07:41:41 PM

I've been suffering from clinical depression probably throughout my life but finally saw a doctor about it. I was less shy afterward and less nervous in crowds. I don't know why I waited so long. I'm on maintenance drugs for it for the most part. It doesn't remove depression that has a basis behind it (like watching my father die) but it does remove the irrational fear of socializing.
Depression comes in many flavors.

No one

Red car interiors, what gives? Same goes for that primer Grey exterior that is so popular.

Tank

Quote from: No one on May 12, 2021, 06:11:09 PM
Red car interiors, what gives? Same goes for that primer Grey exterior that is so popular.

Red interiors I can get. But 'undercoat grey' just looks unfinished to me.

Three years ago Red Bull used a matt rather than gloss finish on their cars. Something to do with laminar flow. Some car makers copied the finish. Aesthetic opinion  :puke:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

We are conditioned to admire shiny things, just like a crow.  How/why we developed a preference for shiny things may or may not matter.

Matte finish helps reduce the thickness of the boundry layer of air passing over a surface.  Matte finish also has a measurably favorable effect on sail boat bottoms but the influence is very small.  The degree of roughness of the  matte finish has to be miniscule.  A surface created by 400 grit sandpaper is barely smooth enough.   The whole deal is off if there are any undulations  in the surface.  True even if the undulations are extremely small.  FI cars are aerodynamically dirty because of exposed wheels even though massive efforts to reduce aero drag on the other components are practiced.

I suspect that Tank already knows more about this stuff than I do. That is because of his family relationship with an F1 engineer.

are the norm.   

billy rubin

not just shiny. crows love colors too

years ago we had a pet crow that fell out of nest in the eucalyptus one windy day. we raised it and it ran around in the house. it would gather up the colored plastic build-em toy pieces the kids had and hide them in little hoards under things. when it got a nice piece it would sometimes sneak up on one of the sleeping mastiffs and jam the little toy under the dog's butt, which would wake the dog up with hilarious results as the bird ran away

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

The UK is lifting many restrictions today. Slight differences in England, Wales and Scotland. Much more mixing allowed in larger groups. Can eat in restaurants!

But the Indian variant is showing up and it appears to be more infectious.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.