News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on April 09, 2021, 08:01:50 PM
new mexico. many, many years ago in the high desert on my 650, gray skies brooding over the lava and junipers as the evening gathered strength.

alone in the middle of 50 miles of two-lane blacktop. lying flat on the tank at 90 miles per hour, the sound of the engine packed solid, mile after mile along an arrow-straight highway.

cutting between the tarantulas on the pavement emerging for the night, a thousand miles of road behind me, an unexplored road ahead of me leading between the basalt-topped mesas, never getting closer as the miles ticked by and the desert came alive

I've sure I've seen this as a film.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

the tarantulas alwayz come out in early evening

you  can see them pop into your vision ahead of you

not so many that you hit them

but many enough that you have to change your line to run between

the american deserts are the most magical places i have ever been

where elze xan you stand and look up into a thunderztorm

and see the rain evaporate into nothing a thouzand feet over your head

or ztand on a mountain ridge at 10 000 feet and watch the dust devils a mile below you stalk the playas across 60 miles of lower sonoran between you and mexico

im just procezzing today. dont mind me

set the function, not the mechanism.

Randy

I'm terrified of tarantulas. I was very young, still in grade school, living in Oklahoma. Twice we had one in our back yard. My father (I don't know why) poured lighter fluid down in the hole and tried to burn it with his lighter. He couldn't get it to ignite so the thing came out of the hole and marched toward dad and dad backed away still trying to get his lighter to work. He finally did and it became a walking bonfire. I've been afraid of them ever since.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

Spiders and ants can be hastily  dispatched with water.  Boiling water.... or at least very hot water.  Pour it on the mound or spider hole and the deal is done.   Ants being more clever than humans or spiders will have enough of them survive in the lower reaches of the den.  They will then emerge to harass  us again.  Keep cooking the little demons and you will eventually get them all. 

Never mind...all hands, as you were,..... their cousins will start a new mound that you have not yet discovered.  Spiders not so much..................except maybe in Silvers Amazonian Jungles.

One of my most memorable movies had a crusty old male researcher in the Amazon looking for cures for diseases,  He found ants high in trees that had the much sought chemical component.  As I recall there was a very pretty woman involved in a ...maybe....platonic role.  Can't remember the actors names but they were both very good at their roles.

Dark Lightning

That flaming spider must have been really terrifying!  :o Most spiders don't affect me much. Black widows are a different story. Those things are legion in southern California. I recall one of my first experiences in our garage. My dad spotted it and sprayed it with Black Flag poison from a "flit" gun- a hand-pumped aerosol sprayer. It stood there and wiped the poison off and walked away.  :o It got a shoe sole, after that. It may have gone off somewhere and died later, but that was amazing to see it wipe itself off. The new formula is an organophosphate, but the formula back then was nicotine! I worked as a mechanic for many years, and given what I saw with spray insecticides, I just used spray paint, which kills them dead immediately. I always had spray paint on hand for painting replacement parts on vehicles.

billy rubin

tarantulas are cool. the ones in america are harmless. you can reach down and scoop them up with your hands. theyll strike at you but unless you hold them and give them spmething to brace against they just bounce back off. tbeyre not aggreszive and will crawl allover you exploring. very graceful in their movements.

the males are small, black and gold. tbe females are larger and brown. males live only a few months, femalez az many as 18 years.

they make interestin g pets, but uou have to cover the cage az they can climb smooth glass and then you have to look for them on evrry wall and ceiling.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 08, 2021, 07:07:18 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 08, 2021, 03:19:50 PM
I had suspected Iago was eating his poop and now my suspicions have been confirmed.  :eeew:

It saves you clearing it up but it will be a hell of a mess when he explodes!

:eeew: I'd rather clean it up and not have him death-breathing me after helping himself to poop buffet.  ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I don't mind spiders generally...from a distance.

billy rubin

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

I'm getting sick of staying home on Saturday night. ::)

billy rubin

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 10, 2021, 10:17:51 PM
I'm getting sick of staying home on Saturday night. ::)
I know what you mean.  :therethere:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

As a true Cancerian, I love being home any day of the week.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant