Happy Atheist Forum

HAF Book Club: May poll and discussion

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
HAF Book Club: May poll and discussion
« on: April 18, 2021, 03:47:41 AM »
Black Hole Survival Guide, by Janna Levin. From the acclaimed author of Black Hole Blues and Other Songs from Outer Space--an authoritative and accessible guide to the most alluring and challenging phenomena of contemporary science. (160 pages)
Laughing Without an Accent: Adventures of an Iranian American at Home and Abroad, by Firoozeh Dumas. A collection of humorous vignettes by the author of Funny in Farsi, primarily centered on the misadventures of her Iranian immigrant family.  (256 pages)

Grunt: the curious science of humans at war, by Mary Roach.  A book not about fighting or tactics, but the science behind keeping ones own soldiers alive.  (288 pages)

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, by Annie Dillard.  Dillard's personal narrative highlights one year's exploration on foot in the Virginia region through which Tinker Creek runs. The result is an exhilarating tale of nature and its seasons.  (288 pages)

The Sky's the Limit, by Anna Magnusson.  In 2004, Vicky Jack completed the Seven Summits - the highest mountains in each of the seven continents. Whilst pursuing her climbing dream, she also carried on a high-flying career. This book tells her story.  (212 pages)

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running: a memoir, by Haruki Murakami.  Based on Murakami’s journal about training for the NYC marathon, it’s about writing, running and how they intersect.   (188 pages)
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
Re: HAF Book Club: May poll and discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 01:12:46 AM »
We have another tie and, since it's been a while since I broke one, I'll be tie-breaker this time.  May's book is Black Hole Survival Guide.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

• The wise one.
Re: HAF Book Club: May poll and discussion
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 03:09:44 AM »
I will check that one out Sandy.  Lately there have been reports that an actual black hole is closer to us than previously observed. 

Thank you for the touch of class that you contribute to this forum.