News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Religions

Started by Old Seer, March 14, 2020, 12:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Seer

Are sure making big bucks off the virus.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Icarus

I suspect that the Pentecostals believe this to be the end times.  Jesus has returned and he is really pissed? Has God  decided to deliver some serious misery to we who are guilty of original sin.

On a different tack, I suspect that many churches will suffer some fiscal pain.  Assemblies of people are being drastically diminished because of  fear of the virus.  That implies that the collection plates will not be as full as in normal times.  Not to sure about the suckers people who are committed to titheing

It is at least possible that the most religiously committed might increase their contributions to the church in order to please god, in hopes that he might cut us some slack.

Icarus

My newspaper had a full page ad that urged me to get a book.  The book is titled: Dark Agenda.  sub title....The war to destroy Christian America.   

You can get your Book for free if you dial up this site. https://w3.newsmax.com/General/NMM/Offers/Dark-Agenda-6M-Trial?dkt_nbr=050807e58c0d

The book is free but you are to pay $4.99 for shipping and handling. The book sells for $26.99 in book stores....they claim.  If you get the book for free and pay the s&h fee you will also get three monthly magazines also for free.  The gimmick is that you will use your credit card to pay the $4.99 shipping charge.  Not surprisingly your credit card, now on their record, will be charged 29.99 for the following year subscription to their magazine.   You must remember to cancel your subscription in order to escape the future charge.  Common ploy.

I had been unaware that a conspiracy to destroy Christianity is afoot.  Have you guys been holding out on me?

Dark Lightning

Heh, comet ATLAS is coming, and, depending on its orbit, may even be visible in broad daylight. I just hope that the xtians self-extinguishing before that at least only take themselves out.

Drich

Quote from: Old Seer on March 14, 2020, 12:32:36 AM

In Fact the opposite most churches are shut down IE can not collect any money.

Tank

Quote from: Drich on April 03, 2020, 03:32:07 PM

Every cloud has a silver lining.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Old Seer

Quote from: Drich on April 03, 2020, 03:32:07 PM

It's a paypal online collection basket now I suppose.
I'm not a Theist.

No one

god has quite the protection racket going.

Old Seer

I once (many years ago when I was smarter) had a theory that there can be no religion without money. It's still kind of still looking that way. Clergy are mostly the type (as other professions) who want to make a living without doing physical labor. The Huckleberry Finn syndrome.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

traditional quakers don't pay anybody. no priests, no bishops, none of that.

no collection plate, either. if something is busted somebody fixes it. if it's expensive, people chip in.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Old Seer

They still use money to keep it going.  :)
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

actually, they don't.

money is the medium used to keep the lights on in the meeting house. and to pay the teenagers who mow the grass in the graveyard. and to buy th epaint that is used on the walls. but the money-oriented profession of hireling priests that you describe does not exist in conservative quakerism.

there are clearly varieties of religion that are not dreamt of in your philosophy, horatio.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Old Seer

So why not just meet at the clergyman's house/place.  I may have to capitulate here. So, lets go to absolute thought, and reduce it to the lowest denominator, it's either black or white. Lets remove all money from the planet. Can there be religion without money, Yes their can. If people of a particular belief gather together under those beliefs. That would mean that the clergy guy would have to fair for himself, unless fed and cared for by the labors of the followers. Agree.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

there are no clergymen in traditional quakerism, seer.

they were way ahead of you.

nobody gets paid. nobody has a job reprezenting god.

thatz how its been for 350 years.

Old Seer

Quote from: billy rubin on April 15, 2020, 11:21:00 PM
there are no clergymen in traditional quakerism, seer.

they were way ahead of you.

nobody gets paid. nobody has a job reprezenting god.

thatz how its been for 350 years.
I'm not going to be right on everything. I don't know all about  that religion. I don't know all abut the Hindu or Buddhism, that's why it was theory and not understood to be a fact. Now I have to remove it from my theory list. (if I had one)
I'm not a Theist.