News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

It's my way or the highway: Christians and atheists in religious road row

Started by Tank, March 21, 2012, 06:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

It's my way or the highway: Christians and atheists in religious road row

QuoteAn unholy spat has broken out over a nondescript stretch of road in Florida as atheists and Christians stake their claim over the asphalt.

Polk County's Highway 98 was first blessed a year ago by a local church group wanting to prevent sinners and wrongdoers from entering the community.

Annoyed by the appropriation of the public highway by those of a religious bent, humanists took to the street last weekend to symbolically wash away the anointment oil.

Now, not to be outdone, the group behind the initial ceremony have indicated they will re-bless the road – but they are not saying when.

"We will probably do it again at some point," said Cassandra Geringswald, wife of the local pastor and a member of Polk Under Prayer (PUP).

"But we are not going to tell the atheists, because they will be back out there again," she added...

I realise that being right is deeply ingrained in the American psyche and compromise is a dirty word, but really, don't these people have something more important to do? And in case it's not obvious I mean both the Christians and the atheists  ::)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Retired member.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Crow on March 21, 2012, 07:05:43 PM
::) They need a hobby.
I think this is their hobby! It's a funny story though, and so long as no-one gets hurt, let 'em continue. If a Christian group blessed and annointed the road I live on with the purpose of preventing 'sinners' and non-believers from using it I'd probably do the same thing and wash that ointment away. It would only take an hour or two on a Sunday morning while they were wasting their day in Church!

Ali

*Snickering*  Both sides are being too freaking ridiculous.  I love that the Christians think they can keep "sinners and wrongdoers" out of town by blessing the road.  What a bunch of goons.  I also love that the atheists are lending any sort of credence to that idea by holding their own "undo" ceremony.  What a bunch of goons.

Buddy

I think I'm going to have to agree with Tank here. It seems like a waste of time for both parties that will only piss people off.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Quote from: Too Few Lions on March 21, 2012, 07:14:30 PM
I think this is their hobby! It's a funny story though, and so long as no-one gets hurt, let 'em continue. If a Christian group blessed and annointed the road I live on with the purpose of preventing 'sinners' and non-believers from using it I'd probably do the same thing and wash that ointment away. It would only take an hour or two on a Sunday morning while they were wasting their day in Church!

They need a better hobby. But would you not be wasting your sunday mornin' by cleaning a patch of road that may not even contain the oil, when you could be doing something more exciting like premarital sex?
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on March 21, 2012, 07:42:01 PM

They need a better hobby. But would you not be wasting your sunday mornin' by cleaning a patch of road that may not even contain the oil, when you could be doing something more exciting like premarital sex?
Or possibly, post-marital sex?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Stevil

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on March 21, 2012, 07:50:34 PM
I'm for freedom of speech.
This is harmless.
But it is indicative of a deep seated stupidity that should be challenged.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2012, 07:43:30 PM

Or even more fun adultery.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on March 21, 2012, 08:01:24 PM

Woo~ adultery
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 21, 2012, 08:18:53 PM

Woo~ adultery
To be adulterous you have to be married  ;) :D

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 21, 2012, 08:18:53 PM

Woo~ adultery

Oh bby ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2012, 07:54:58 PM
This is harmless.

Is it stupid to challenge religious spells?

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on March 21, 2012, 08:32:32 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2012, 07:54:58 PM
This is harmless.

Is it stupid to challenge religious spells?

In this way, yes, kind of.  In order to challenge a stupid waste of time ritual, they perform their own time wasting ritual?  I'm with Crow et all on this one.  There are more fun ways to spend a Sunday than washing a road.   Like engaging in some form of pre, post, or intra-married sex, or going to Ikea.  Abusing your signifigant other (either in the bedroom or at Ikea) has about as much of an effect on whether sinners ride into town as road washing, and is way more fun.