News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hermes, Hermes, where for art thou?

Started by No one, April 05, 2020, 05:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

hermes2015

Yes, thanks for a good elucidation of the term, No one. Etymology is a fascinating subject and a hobby that suits self-isolation very well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on April 15, 2020, 12:46:52 AM
you made that up

:rofl:

Come on BR it's so obviously not No Ones normal post style!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Dark Lightning

Brownian motion with molecules that size could be a bit painful.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 19, 2020, 10:53:50 PM
Brownian motion with molecules that size could be a bit painful.

:o I'd bet!

I once saw a video of an actual DNA molecule in some sort of liquid being jolted around by Brownian motion. It's surprising just how violent it can be at such a small scale! If a molecule could have a tonic-clonic seizure, that's what it would look like. :chin:

Pity I can't find the video on Youtube though. :(

hermes2015

I attended a lecture on applications of AFM (Atomic Force Microscopy), during which one slide showed some worm-like structures. When I asked what they were, the presenter told me they were hexane molecules! My chemist's mind was blown. They've also imaged polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and, thank goodness, they look exactly like our models of those compounds. It would have been so embarrassing if we had drawn the molecules incorrectly for all our careers.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 20, 2020, 05:17:30 AM
...It would have been so embarrassing if we had drawn the molecules incorrectly for all our careers.

:snicker:

Reminds me of this:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 02:47:57 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 20, 2020, 05:17:30 AM
...It would have been so embarrassing if we had drawn the molecules incorrectly for all our careers.

:snicker:

Reminds me of this:

That looks about right to me. Another useful skill one learns is to throw terms like hyperconjugation around to give the impression that one understands something.
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i thought hyperconjugation was something teenagers did in the back seats

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on April 20, 2020, 04:34:43 PM
i thought hyperconjugation was something teenagers did in the back seats

Some of those are sterically-hindered coupling reactions.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Who knew orchestras were this animated?  ;D

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 22, 2020, 05:46:02 PM

Who knew orchestras were this animated?  ;D

I think Dudamel has done a lot to popularize classical music. In his energy when he conducts he is very much like Leonard Bernstein, but I don't know whether he has Bernstein's depth of philosophical understanding of the music. In addition to conducting, Lenny was a composer and a brilliant lecturer on classical music.
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Dudamel is a real showman.

Here is some more show biz with the New Brunswick Youth Orchestra.  I love it when kids are having so much fun, all the while displaying some real talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-yXiRIIrc