Started by No one, April 05, 2020, 05:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2020, 02:53:36 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 14, 2020, 04:46:07 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2020, 11:36:43 PM
Hermes I've got another one for ya:

:grin:

My dim brain understood that less subtle one  immediately. I used to get funny responses when I told people I was a free radical chemist, which was partially true.

Dim. ::) Come on...someone who understands organic chemistry can't be dim  8)

Heh, 'free radical chemist' certainly sounds like it would get some raised eyebrows! :P Especially, perhaps, from captive conservative non-chemists...  ;D

Actually, organic chemistry is very simple. The secret is that there are just a few basic rules to remember, just like playing chess. The rules govern the movement of an electron in a system of atoms and molecules, so one can usually work out or predict what is likely to happen in any situation. No need to memorize reactions, which is what attracted me to the subject. A bonus is that organic chemistry is a like architecture or sculpture at the molecular scale, which also appealed to me, the frustrated architect.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 14, 2020, 03:04:40 PM
Actually, organic chemistry is very simple. The secret is that there are just a few basic rules to remember, just like playing chess. The rules govern the movement of an electron in a system of atoms and molecules, so one can usually work out or predict what is likely to happen in any situation. No need to memorize reactions, which is what attracted me to the subject. A bonus is that organic chemistry is a like architecture or sculpture at the molecular scale, which also appealed to me, the frustrated architect.

If you don't mind me asking, do you ever regret choosing to become a chemist over an architect? :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2020, 03:11:18 PM

If you don't mind me asking, do you ever regret choosing to become a chemist over an architect? :)

Yes, from time to time. My problem was that I had too many interests as a young lad — most of them unfortunately mutually exclusive. There aren't enough hours in a day to be a professional chemist and architect at the same time.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 14, 2020, 03:20:46 PM

Yes, from time to time. My problem was that I had too many interests as a young lad — most of them unfortunately mutually exclusive. There aren't enough hours in a day to be a professional chemist and architect at the same time.

That is indeed unfortunate, but at least there are all sorts of content on architecture available online, right? IMO, hobbies are just as important as professional pursuits. ;D

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2020, 04:07:58 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 14, 2020, 03:20:46 PM

That is indeed unfortunate, but at least there are all sorts of content on architecture available online, right? IMO, hobbies are just as important as professional pursuits. ;D

I have always taken more than a passing interest in architectural design topics. I've even been asked to give lectures at a local design school as guest lecturer. The Institute of Architects have also invited me to give some talks. The funny thing is, they were all under the impression that I was a qualified architect. I felt a bit like Matt Damon's character in The Talented Mr Ripley, although I didn't kill anyone.
― Charles Eames

No one

hermes2015:
I felt a bit like Matt Damon's character in The Talented Mr. Ripley, although I didn't kill anyone.

That is exactly what a talented killer would say. The wool can't be pulled over my eyes.

hermes2015

Quote from: No one on April 14, 2020, 07:55:12 PM
hermes2015:
I felt a bit like Matt Damon's character in The Talented Mr. Ripley, although I didn't kill anyone.

That is exactly what a talented killer would say. The wool can't be pulled over my eyes.

I fear you've seen through me. Let it be our little secret.
― Charles Eames

No one

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 14, 2020, 07:59:12 PM
Quote from: No one on April 14, 2020, 07:55:12 PM
hermes2015:

I fear you've seen through me. Let it be our little secret.

:worried:

billy rubin

why do tbey call them stool pigeons anyway?

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

A stool pigeon is someone who is an informer for the police. The term first appeared in the early 1800s to mean a decoy pigeon. The word stool in the term stool pigeon comes from the sixteenth-century word stoale, which means tree stump. Presumably, the term stoale pigeon referred to a decoy pigeon that was affixed to a tree stump. By the 1800s the word stool pigeon referred to a person who was used in a sting operation to trap a criminal, a sort of human decoy.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken