News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Obama - 'I think same sex couples should be able to get married.'

Started by Amicale, May 09, 2012, 09:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

QuotePresident Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.

In an interview with ABC News' Robin Roberts, the president described his thought process as an "evolution" that led him to this decision, based on conversations with his staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and his wife and daughters.

The rest at the link:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/obama-comes-out-i-think-same-sex-couples-should-be-able-to-get-married/

Way to go, POTUS! It's about time!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

ThinkAnarchy

I think the state should have no say in what consenting adults can do with their love lives. I think it's sick the homosexual community needs state approval to enter into a matrimonial contract.

I suppose it's better than than preventing it though...
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on May 09, 2012, 09:26:44 PM
QuotePresident Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.

In an interview with ABC News' Robin Roberts, the president described his thought process as an "evolution" that led him to this decision, based on conversations with his staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and his wife and daughters.

The rest at the link:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/obama-comes-out-i-think-same-sex-couples-should-be-able-to-get-married/

Way to go, POTUS! It's about time!

It is an election year...

Amicale

Yeah, it's an election year. And what he said might definitely get him more votes. Especially if he follows through and does something about it. I know that some people object to the government having any say in who we marry, but whether we like the system or not, it wasn't so long ago that the Church had total control of marriage rather than the government. At least now, it is for the most part a civil institution. We can't marry ourselves 'legally' in any country I know of, whether we're gay or straight, so... *shrug*

And even if he is pandering for votes, well, if same sex marriage got passed nationwide, I wouldn't see that as a bad thing at all. It's what a LOT of people are fighting for. Shame it takes an election year to get the ball rolling, but if that's what it takes, then...

When I said 'it's about time', I mostly meant it like 'it's about time the USA catches up with Canada!' ;) It's just embarrassing that we legalized it first. I mean, now straight people and gay people here are entering into marriages, with the exact same equal chance of paying taxes, raising kids, getting benefits, and either staying happy or becoming miserable.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Harmonie

Finally!

It's an flat out embarrassment to have a president who is opposed to same-sex marriage. So I'm glad he came around publicly.

Now do something about it. North Carolina just got hit hard with an awful amendment. It's time to put an end to this bull.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sweetdeath

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 09, 2012, 09:30:37 PM
I think the state should have no say in what consenting adults can do with their love lives. I think it's sick the homosexual community needs state approval to enter into a matrimonial contract.

I suppose it's better than than preventing it though...

I agree.
Unless someone harms society (murderers, etc) people over age of 18 should   do whatever the fuck they want.  (as long as its consentsual.)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Firebird

I am happily shocked that he came out and said it during an election year. Honestly, it could also hurt him at the polls just as easily. A lot of the swing states that he needs to win include places like North Carolina and the other 29 states that ban gay marriage. It's politically risky, and I'm fairly certain this wouldn't have come up had VP Biden not opened up about what he really thinks, as he often does. I love Joe Biden :)

But taking a step back, it feels fucking awesome to know my President said this, especially when I think of all of my friends and family who are gay. Bravo Mr. President.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Anne D.

Yes, it is definitely about time. I'm glad he finally came around and had the guts to say this, but I'm really disappointed that he's stated that recognition and legalization of gay marriages should be up to each state:

QuoteThe president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states' deciding the issue on their own.

People either deserve full civil rights or they don't. Why should states be allowed to deny same sex couples the right to marry?

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

I'm glad he's said it and it's the right thing.  However I refuse to believe that any politician would do such a thing unless he calculated that it would win votes.

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on May 09, 2012, 10:05:04 PM
We can't marry ourselves 'legally' in any country I know of, whether we're gay or straight, so... *shrug*

I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly, but if you mean that you need a church official, sea captain, or judge to legally officiate a marriage ceremony, for the record, any one can perform a marriage ceremony (including the couples simply "marrying themselves") in Colorado.  Of course, for some bizarre reason, that doesn't include same sex couples.  So I guess your gay friend could officiate your hetero marriage with no particular credentials, but for some reason he can't marry himself  to the person of his choosing.  Makes total sense.   ::)

Husband's cousins "married themselves" in a very pretty ceremony in the mountains.  They didn't have an officiant, they just spoke their vows to each other and signed the certificate and then they were married.

Anyway, about Obama coming out in support of...I'm glad he did, but it also pisses me off that it's taken him this long.  I've figured that he has secretly supported it all along, but didn't feel that it was politically prudent to say so.  That infuriates me; people's civil rights shouldn't be a token in a political game.   >:(

technolud

I'm getting mixed response on whether this was a shrewd political move or political suicide.  After all, there are 31 states with constitutional amendments against gay marriage.

My Southern colleague, some what tongue in cheek, expressed it as "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Albert".  Need to find a good cartoon for this.

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on May 10, 2012, 02:50:53 PM
Quote from: Amicale on May 09, 2012, 10:05:04 PM
We can't marry ourselves 'legally' in any country I know of, whether we're gay or straight, so... *shrug*

I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly, but if you mean that you need a church official, sea captain, or judge to legally officiate a marriage ceremony, for the record, any one can perform a marriage ceremony (including the couples simply "marrying themselves") in Colorado.  Of course, for some bizarre reason, that doesn't include same sex couples.  So I guess your gay friend could officiate your hetero marriage with no particular credentials, but for some reason he can't marry himself  to the person of his choosing.  Makes total sense.   ::)

Husband's cousins "married themselves" in a very pretty ceremony in the mountains.  They didn't have an officiant, they just spoke their vows to each other and signed the certificate and then they were married.

Wow, this is interesting. :) I didn't know that it was possible for a couple to marry each other without an officiant present, ie, totally alone with nobody presiding. That's kinda neat. I'm pretty sure it's required in most other places to have at the bare minimum an officiant/celebrant and at least one witness, but I could be wrong. Colorado seems to be a fun exception!  ;)

At any rate, I totally agree with you that it's ridiculous that a gay friend could marry two straight people in the USA, but couldn't marry himself to his partner, or couldn't marry two gay friends there. That's odd, and I hope that changes.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on May 10, 2012, 02:50:53 PM
Anyway, about Obama coming out in support of...I'm glad he did, but it also pisses me off that it's taken him this long.  I've figured that he has secretly supported it all along, but didn't feel that it was politically prudent to say so.  That infuriates me; people's civil rights shouldn't be a token in a political game.   >:(

Yeah, it makes me kind of sad that it's taken so long for him to take this stance, like it's so "scandalous." Meanwhile, some of the Conservatives in the U.S. have been un-apologetically rabid about their positions for years.  
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on May 10, 2012, 03:18:56 PM
Wow, this is interesting. :) I didn't know that it was possible for a couple to marry each other without an officiant present, ie, totally alone with nobody presiding. That's kinda neat. I'm pretty sure it's required in most other places to have at the bare minimum an officiant/celebrant and at least one witness, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I was surprised by that too.  California doesn't even acknowledge common-law marriages.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany