News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Mr. Biden

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 13, 2021, 02:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Randy on January 18, 2021, 02:51:16 PM
Something just occurred to me. We know that at least one Capitol Hill police officer was involved in the riot and I think someone from the Air Force. But whatever, the point is what if one of those troops that is there to oversee the inauguration decides to kill Mr. Biden? Maybe they have a way to vet it out. Still, with more people the greater the chance.

I wish him and Ms. Harris well and that they begin to get this nation of ours out of this mess.

That's a chilling thought. I hope that the snipers on the rooftops during the swearing in are loyal to the US instead of the chump and want to allow it to complete successfully...even if it means capping one of the NG troops. What a surreal time we live in.

Tank

The FBI are running background checks on the National Guard members who will be there. Presumably they are checking others as well.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Quote from: Tank on January 18, 2021, 04:13:52 PM
The FBI are running background checks on the National Guard members who will be there. Presumably they are checking others as well.
I've been reading about that a few moments ago. That's a lot of guards to vet. I wonder how the FBI can handle that many so quickly? Apparently they have more advanced skills than what is seen on a television show,
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Depending on what those guardsmen do for their civilian jobs, many may already have security clearances. And, generally speaking, malcontents are probably already vetted out. I've never seen a  security clearance background check take less than 5 months.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 18, 2021, 10:06:40 PM
Depending on what those guardsmen do for their civilian jobs, many may already have security clearances. And, generally speaking, malcontents are probably already vetted out. I've never seen a  security clearance background check take less than 5 months.

The problem is that our nation is full of malcontents.  This has been a real eye-opener - I never knew how bad it had gotten with regard to people just completely believing an alternate political and social reality.  The level of conspiracy theories buzzing through this country is practically psychotic in nature.

billy rubin

bruce, youve brought up what i think i sthe most serious problems affecting the civil discourse in this country.

how are we all going to get to a place where the dominant conversation accpets a common set of underlying facts?

the net has sadly allowed the village kooks and idiots to find each other and reinforce their mutual craziness. then the cynical half of the US government discovered that they could use it and made it worse by feeding the trolls.

now we can't talk to each other baecause fully half the concerned population believes the faicry tales from the scrackpots, fascists, and fools, and there is no way to break through their bubble.

i don't know where we can go to get out s of this.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Lack of civil discourse is indeed a huge problem. I recognize the problem, but I don't have any answers, either, beyond educating our youth while they are growing up. And that's a problem with the home-schooling for religious reasons.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on January 19, 2021, 02:26:23 AM
bruce, youve brought up what i think i sthe most serious problems affecting the civil discourse in this country.

how are we all going to get to a place where the dominant conversation accpets a common set of underlying facts?

the net has sadly allowed the village kooks and idiots to find each other and reinforce their mutual craziness. then the cynical half of the US government discovered that they could use it and made it worse by feeding the trolls.

now we can't talk to each other baecause fully half the concerned population believes the faicry tales from the scrackpots, fascists, and fools, and there is no way to break through their bubble.

Wish I had a solution.  I'm hoping that a steady dose of truth from Biden will start to have some effect over a few years.  It starts when they actually see him sworn in, because many of them believe that will not happen.  Once they get disillusioned, the walls of mendacity begin to crack.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 19, 2021, 02:50:53 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on January 19, 2021, 02:26:23 AM

Wish I had a solution.  I'm hoping that a steady dose of truth from Biden will start to have some effect over a few years.  It starts when they actually see him sworn in, because many of them believe that will not happen.  Once they get disillusioned, the walls of mendacity begin to crack.

Well. Since he's white, they won't be hanging or burning him in effigy like was done with Obama.  >:( Fuxxake, I'd really like to see some grownup attitudes in those grownup bodies. My personal take is that the sites like FaceBook, etc., should not allow ANY extreme rhetoric.

Tom62

I wish Biden and Harris all the best as well. I'm pretty sure nothing is going to happen on inauguration day.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tom62 on January 19, 2021, 05:20:32 AM
I wish Biden and Harris all the best as well. I'm pretty sure nothing is going to happen on inauguration day.

I hope not.

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on January 19, 2021, 05:20:32 AM

I hope you are right.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

my country has gone crazy.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Papa Joe has already performed the most important act of his presidency: he has replaced Donald Trump.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 20, 2021, 05:31:59 PM
Papa Joe has already performed the most important act of his presidency: he has replaced Donald Trump.

:rofl:

Nicked and Facbooked!