News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Dominionists in the United States

Started by Recusant, April 14, 2019, 02:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

President Pot has just met Senator Kettle.

Dark Lightning

Recusant

The claims about Joe Biden were what I thought worth including in this thread. For instance "Hurt the Bible, hurt God. He's against God, he's against guns, he's against energy, our kind of energy."

The Trump administration is completely willing to wrap themselves in the mantle of the "Christian nation" narrative, and paint all who oppose them as godless (subtext: of the Devil). Of course many of  the Dominionist types claim that Trump was "chosen" by their god to advance their agenda.

Part of the narrative is the idea that the Christian god personally guided formation of the US government.

Defending an action of the president, one of his flacks (trade advisor Peter Navarro) claimed that "The Lord and the Founding Fathers created executive orders because of partisan bickering and divided government. That's what we have here, but the president has taken action." (source)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

I'm certain quite a few evangelicals will vote for him already. I don't think he is reaching too many others with his rhetoric.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

By citing religious beliefs, you can legally exclude certain members of the public from using the services of your business. Well, as long as those certain people happen to be gay, and you happen to consider your service "art." Because, you know, religious rights must be protected, and "art" equals speech, and nobody should be compelled to support ideas their religion doesn't agree with. Expect to see similar rulings from other judges appointed by this administration. For many years to come.

"Trump-Appointed Judge Rules Photographer Can Reject Gay Couples Despite Ban on LGBT Discrimination" | Towleroad

QuoteA federal judge appointed by President Donald Trump ruled Friday that a Christian photographer in Louisville can turn away same-sex couples despite the city's ordinance prohibiting LGBT discrimination.

U.S. District Judge Justin Reed Walker issued an injunction blocking the city from enforcing its Fairness Ordinance against Chelsey Walker, who claims she can only photograph weddings between a man and a woman due to her religious beliefs.

"America is wide enough for those who applaud same-sex marriage and those who refuse to," Judge Walker wrote in a 27-page opinion, according to the Courier Journal. "The Constitution does not require a choice between gay rights and freedom of speech. It demands both."

[Continues . . .]

Some rights are more equal than others.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Peter Navarro and a few other unhinged Trumpites make my ass want to suck a lemon.

Randy

One step forward and two steps back. :( This is the proverbial slippery slope we're on now. What class is next?
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

The head of the US Federal Elections Commission, charged with overseeing federal elections, is apparently a rabid god-botherer, and sees the presidential election as a "spiritual war" (of course we know who's on the side of "good"). According to him, the US constitutional separation of church and state is a fallacy. The US needs four more years of this, and then President Pence. Joy to the world.

"Head of Federal Election Commission calls separation of church and state a 'fallacy' and 2020 election a 'spiritual war'" | National Catholic Reporter

QuoteThe head of the Federal Election Commission chastised Catholic bishops during a pair of interviews this week, accusing church hierarchy of "hiding behind" their nonprofit status and declaring that this year's U.S. election amounts to a "spiritual war" that threatens the country's "Christian moral principles."

FEC Chairman James E. "Trey" Trainor III made the remarks during an interview released on Sept. 16 by Church Militant, a controversial conservative Catholic media outlet, and in a separate phone interview with Religion News Service.

[. . .]

Trainor insisted to Voris [of "Church Militant"] that he was speaking "privately" and not as FEC chairman, but answered several questions about the upcoming election. For example, he said he does not expect a protracted legal debate similar to what occurred in the 2000 election, saying, "I don't think that this election is going to be that close."

Trainor later clarified with RNS [Religious News Service] that he expected the winner of the presidential election to win by a significant margin, but did not know which candidate would claim victory.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Well, it's just, like, their opinion, man.  :grrr:

"How Christian Nationalism in the US Legislates Evil and Punishes the Poor" | Common Dreams

QuoteOn August 26th, during the Republican National Convention, Vice President Mike Pence closed out his acceptance speech with a biblical sleight of hand. Speaking before a crowd at the Fort McHenry National Monument in Baltimore, he exclaimed, "Let's fix our eyes on Old Glory and all she represents. Let's fix our eyes on this land of heroes and let their courage inspire." In doing so, he essentially rewrote a passage from the New Testament's Book of Hebrews: "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross."

There's nothing new, of course, about an American politician melding religion and politics on the campaign trail. Still, Pence's decision to replace Jesus with the Stars and Stripes raised eyebrows across a range of religious and political persuasions. Indeed, the melding of Old Glory and Christ provided the latest evidence of the rising influence of Christian nationalism in the age of Trump.

It's no longer hard to find evidence of just how deeply Christian nationalism influences our politics and policymaking. During the pandemic, the Bible has repeatedly been used (and distorted) to justify Covid-19 denialism and government inaction, not to speak of outright repression. In late March, as cities were locking down and public health officials were recommending strict quarantine measures, one of Donald Trump's first acts was to gather his followers at the White House for what was billed as a "National Day of Prayer" to give Americans the strength to press on through death and difficulty.

Later in the spring, protests against pandemic shutdowns, funded with dark money from the likes of the Koch Brothers, demanded that states reopen for business and social distancing guidelines be loosened. (Forget about masking of any sort.) At them, printed protest signs said things like: "Even Pharaoh Freed Slaves in a Plague" and "Texas will not take the Mark of the Beast." And even as faith communities struggled admirably to adjust to zoom worship services, as well as remote pastoral care and memorials, President Trump continued to fan the flames of religious division, declaring in-person worship "essential," no matter that legal experts questioned his authority to do so.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

Well, you can count me in the poor status. I really want Trump and Pence out of there and their associates too!

Recusant

The "religious freedom" zealots on the US Supreme Court might take a shot at shoving people back in the closet, but it could be rough going. The country has left them behind. I would not put it past the Christian ideologues to make the attempt though, given the large majority they're going to have to play with when Trump puts his latest Christofascist justice on the bench. Religious freedom!  :lynch:

"Justices Thomas and Alito lash out at the decision that cleared way for same-sex marriage" | CNN

QuoteJustice Clarence Thomas, joined by Justice Samuel Alito, lashed out on Monday at the religious liberty implications of the Supreme Court's 2015 decision that cleared the way for same-sex marriage nationwide.

Thomas wrote that the decision, Obergefell v. Hodges, "enables courts and governments to brand religious adherents who believe that marriage is between one man and one woman as bigots, making their religious liberty concerns that much easier to dismiss."

Thomas' strong opinion came down on the first day of the court's new term, and reflects the fact that critics of the landmark opinion from five years ago that was penned by now retired Justice Anthony Kennedy, are still infuriated by its reasoning. They believe the court should have left the decision to the political arena and have long said that it will infringe upon the rights of those who have religious objections to same-sex marriage.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

And thus it begins, a return to the Dark Ages.

Recusant

I don't know that the US Supreme Court can magically put the toothpaste back in the tube. The majority of the country agrees with marriage equality; the supporters of "religious freedom" aren't going to change that.
— H. L. Mencken

Bluenose

I've never understood the "religious freedom" ideologues. They are already free to practice their religion and if they don't believe in abortion, or same sex marriage and so on, then I say don't get an abortion and don't marry someone of the same sex.  What other people do is none of their damn business and these people can fuck the hell off.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett