News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

A Word for the Day

Started by Recusant, November 08, 2015, 08:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Procaffeinating / (proˈkæfɪ'nat'ing)

(v.)1) Not willing to do anything until you've had a cup of coffee. 2) Useless life-form.

Similar words: Dead, empty, uncharged.

Used in a sentence.
Bruno was asked to join the very early morning conference call with the team in Korea, however. His responses were less than adequate, and drew some criticism, but as he was procaffeinating he really didn't give a damn.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 15, 2021, 12:55:47 PM

(v.)1) Not willing to do anything until you've had a cup of coffee. 2) Useless life-form.

Used in a sentence.
Bruno was asked to join the very early morning conference call with the team in Korea, however. His responses were less than adequate, and drew some criticism, but as he was procaffeinating he really didn't give a damn.

Wouldn't precaffeinating work better, ye, maybe, I don't know.
You can't say "I don't know" anymore, Trump fucked up the use of it.
Ye, he did, the fkn trump, he'd use "I don't know" as code for "am I right?" as a call to the fkn trumpians.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 15, 2021, 01:47:16 PM

Used in a sentence.

Wouldn't precaffeinating work better, ye, maybe, I don't know.
You can't say "I don't know" anymore, Trump fucked up the use of it.
Ye, he did, the fkn trump, he'd use "I don't know" as code for "am I right?" as a call to the fkn trumpians.

Aye, precaffeinating would work, however. My plan was to join the call which was at 3am, and then when it was over go back to bed for another hour an a half which is what I did....Trump fucked up the use of so many words. I won't use the word "huge" anymore. When I have said "huge", I tend to say it in a mocking tone (More like Alec Baldwins Trump impression than the real Trump)

Magdalena

I like this word. Nothing exists before you have your coffee. Just emptiness, grumpiness, a super bright sun, and a headache.

"Procaffeinating is a bitch when you have to take your ugly pooping dog for a walk, early in the morning."

Did I use the word correctly?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on September 15, 2021, 07:14:43 PM

I like this word. Nothing exists before you have your coffee. Just emptiness, grumpiness, a super bright sun, and a headache.

"Procaffeinating is a bitch when you have to take your ugly pooping dog for a walk, early in the morning."

Yes, you did, and I'm so happy you like the word...I feel the same about life before coffee. You and I have soooo much in common Mags, sigh :)

Your sentence did have a few slight, grammatical errors in it, but I fixed it for you my friend 8)

"Procaffeinating is a bitch when you have to take your ugly, pooping Kat for a walk early in the morning."

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 15, 2021, 07:23:54 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 15, 2021, 07:14:43 PM

Yes, you did, and I'm so happy you like the word...I feel the same about life before coffee. You and I have soooo much in common Mags, sigh :)
Unfortunately, yes, yes we do.  :felix:

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 15, 2021, 07:23:54 PM
"Procaffeinating is a bitch when you have to take your ugly, pooping Kat for a walk early in the morning."

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

barniculate

verb

the transformation of juvenile-barnicle instars into fully-formed reproductive barnicle adults

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: billy rubin on September 16, 2021, 01:15:31 AM
barniculate

verb

the transformation of juvenile-barnicle instars into fully-formed reproductive barnicle adults

I was curious about this word, so I searched for it on Google (I thought it had to do with folk who work on farms, like..."Oh, I can barniculate, so let me explain to them how to properly store the hay in the barn")

It's such a common word that the forum came in as the number two listing in my search (2nd out of 3 results!!)

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on September 16, 2021, 01:15:31 AM
barniculate

verb

This is two for the price of one.  I had to look up "instars", as well.  I feel quite educated.

Dark Lightning

Nullifidian

noun
a person having no faith or religious belief.

adjective
having no faith or religious belief.

Via Oxford Languages

Seems sort of effete, but I like it.

Icarus

Barniculate....barnacles......The scourge of weekend mariners who have a boat at the marina. Sometimes referred to as miserable fuckin' marine growth..................Did you know that the majority of barnacles are Hermorphodites?   Another of natures peculiarities.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on September 17, 2021, 12:43:25 AM
Barniculate....barnacles......The scourge of weekend mariners who have a boat at the marina. Sometimes referred to as miserable fuckin' marine growth..................Did you know that the majority of barnacles are Hermorphodites?   Another of natures peculiarities.

You've seen the miserable creatures! A "face" only a mother could love...

billy rubin

barniculism

noun

a proverb or aphorism attributed to a barnicle, said to be audible only at low water when the colonies are exposed

johnny would often sit on the mole at ebb tide, hoping to overhear barniculisms from tbe muttering cirripedia.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on September 17, 2021, 12:43:25 AM

whats not to love about barnicles?

i mean, if you dont have a boat

barnicles are cool. theyre really little shrimp that hang out together and wave their little body parts in the seawater.

who cant sympathize with that?

billy rubin

barniculore

noun

the aggragate collection of myths, legends, and folk culture of the cirripedia, consisting of origin accounts, eschatology, proverbs, and wisdom. as barnicles are sessile except during the medusoid stage, there is great variety in the oral traditions of each regional population.

johnny was a student of local barniculore, and was primarily responsible for its wide appreciation among students of contemporary invertebrate literature