News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Refuting Theistic Arguments

Started by Ricardo, October 04, 2019, 07:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on October 08, 2019, 07:00:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 06:42:51 PM
I have lost "friends" because I'm an atheist. But that's ok, my life isn't any poorer because of it.
Me too. I haven't lost them because I am an atheist, I've lost them because I've kicked them to the curb. One can only hear the word, "god" a certain amount of times during the day. ::)

I hear ya!

Oh I have so many stories to tell... :tellmemore: But those are for another time. :P

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ricardo

Quote from: Magdalena on October 08, 2019, 06:56:14 PM
Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 05:12:31 PM
I am a moralistic atheist! Baby !! :hug:
Please don't, "baby" me.
Thank you.

Did Bob Marley believe in God?
I don't know, ask him in the afterlife. And what the hell does he have to do with anything? And if you are an atheist why do you talk about god and only god, sooooo much!?
I quoted him for talking about weed! it was a joke ! take it easy. :therethere:

Ricardo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 06:42:51 PM
Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 05:09:24 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 12:14:57 AM
Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 12:03:03 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 07, 2019, 11:18:42 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on October 07, 2019, 09:00:35 PM
Quote from: Ricardo on October 05, 2019, 12:29:08 AM

I'm from Brazil ! I have never participated in an atheism forum! I hope to learn more about atheism! Can this forum also learn about skepticism?
Ricardo...Ricardito...Are you a religious person?
I ask because when you start a sentence with: "a theistic friend told me he has two arguments against atheism..."--It's like when I ask: "Is marijuana bad for you? I have "a friend" who wants to know. ... :shifty:
So, are you a religious person? You sound like one.

I was thinking the same thing. But I'll wait for Ricardo to own up to being a religious person or stop looking so much like an "undercover theist".  :thoughtful:

Ricardo, Magdalena and I are skeptical you are an atheist. There's nothing wrong with being a theist -- we have theists who are regular members of this forum -- what isn't cool is pretending to be an atheist when in fact you are a believer. Are you really an atheist?
I am an atheist agnostic, I think you have the impression that I am a theist because I have no prejudice against theists even though many theists have prejudice against me for being an atheist agnostic! and do you suffer prejudice from theists? what's your reaction? :hug:

Ok, fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm still pretty much a closet atheist, only close friends and family know I think the way I do. I have theistic family members, some very religious and others less so, and theistic friends as well. Religion is just not something we really talk about.

As for the preconceived notions some people have about me because of my lack of belief in any gods, I just ignore them. At first, it would make me very angry but now it's just not worth my time and energy.  ;)
you have to assume you're an atheist woman! Who really loves you will keep loving you.

I already have to those who need to know, Those who don't need to know...don't need to know. Like my maternal grandparents. I'm not going to tell them I'm an atheist when practically all they talk about are sickness and death. My fearful grandfather would hate me. My grandmother, who is more open to differing opinions, would worry I'm on my way to hell (which they believe to be a real destination for everyone who isn't a Seventh Day Adventist).

I have lost "friends" because I'm an atheist. But that's ok, my life isn't any poorer because of it.
eles nunca foram seus amigos !

Magdalena

Quote from: Ricardo on October 08, 2019, 07:22:33 PM
Please don't, "baby" me.
Thank you.

I don't know, ask him in the afterlife. And what the hell does he have to do with anything? And if you are an atheist why do you talk about god and only god, sooooo much!?
OK.
:levitate:

Now, please answer me:
If you are an atheist why do you talk about god and only god, sooooo much!?

Edit:
You know what...You don't have to answer that. I don't really care. I come here because I don't want to hear or know anything about god, Jesus, religion, etc. I'll just ignore your posts.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ricardo

Quote from: Magdalena on October 08, 2019, 07:28:33 PM
Please don't, "baby" me.
Thank you.

OK.

Now, please answer me:

Edit:
You know what...You don't have to answer that. I don't really care. I come here because I don't want to hear or know anything about god, Jesus, religion, etc. I'll just ignore your posts.
ok i won't talk about these subjects!

Magdalena

Quote from: Ricardo on October 09, 2019, 12:35:07 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on October 08, 2019, 07:28:33 PM
Please don't, "baby" me.
Thank you.

OK.

Now, please answer me:

Edit:
ok i won't talk about these subjects!
No, it's OK. You can talk about these subjects, just not with me. I don't enjoy it, but I'm sure others do. I like to talk about religious things maybe once every 3 or 4 years.
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2019, 01:16:34 AM
Despite the adage that holds the impossibility of proving a negative, it is possible in some cases.

thank you for that link.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 09, 2019, 01:03:41 PM
Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2019, 01:16:34 AM
Despite the adage that holds the impossibility of proving a negative, it is possible in some cases.

thank you for that link.

Oh he has loads of them!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

yep. first post, anyway. hello to you both.

been looking the place over awhile.

the negative-argument-argument, is interesting to me. i spend a lot of time trying to figure out the difference between things i know, and things i think i know, and it came at an opportune time.

pleased to meet you. my name isn't really billy, btw. it's kevin. i was going through a period of really bad puns when i signed up.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on October 09, 2019, 07:56:12 PM
yep. first post, anyway. hello to you both.

been looking the place over awhile.

the negative-argument-argument, is interesting to me. i spend a lot of time trying to figure out the difference between things i know, and things i think i know, and it came at an opportune time.

pleased to meet you. my name isn't really billy, btw. it's kevin. i was going through a period of really bad puns when i signed up.
Hi Kevin.
Pleased to meet you too.
"bilirubin"  :snicker:

billy rubin

sorry.

you can blame my old physiology professor for pinning that up in my forebrain forecver.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 09, 2019, 08:06:06 PM
sorry.

you can blame my old physiology professor for pinning that up in my forebrain forecver.

Welcome aboard any way  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Hi, Billy rubin.  Welcome to the forum.

hermes2015

Will you walk into our parlour, billy rubin? You can trust me, at least, because I am Hermes.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames