News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Discovery of Galileo’s long-lost letter

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 28, 2018, 11:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

A letter in which Galileo edited his ideas to fool the Inquisition has more or less recently been rediscovered in the Royal Society library in London. 

The original letter in which Galileo argued against the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church has been rediscovered in London. Credit: The Royal Society

Discovery of Galileo's long-lost letter shows he edited his heretical ideas to fool the Inquisition (Nature)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on September 29, 2018, 07:53:46 PM
A wonderful find.

And to think it was under their very noses! Like, it was already in a library along with other historical documents, not stashed away in some obscure place.

In some ways, it's a pity it wasn't found during some wild treasure hunt worthy of a Dan Brown novel!  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

Fabulous find!  I find it very interesting to read about Galileo's original letter and the thought process he was apparently using, very modern in many ways.  Also it brings to mind that blinkered refusal to look at observable facts is not a new phenomenon. The religious reactionaries have form going back centuries.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett