News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I'm considering a film camera. Looking at a Nikon N75 to get my feet wet in B&W film photography. It's a mostly plastic body but seems to have been well reviewed at it's release. My thinking is that a used consumer grade camera might be in better shape than a used pro camera, due to lower use and wear. Lots of people buy things like this and set them on a shelf after using them one time.

Does that sound reasonable or am I off in my thinking?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 07, 2019, 01:41:20 PM
I'm considering a film camera. Looking at a Nikon N75 to get my feet wet in B&W film photography. It's a mostly plastic body but seems to have been well reviewed at it's release. My thinking is that a used consumer grade camera might be in better shape than a used pro camera, due to lower use and wear. Lots of people buy things like this and set them on a shelf after using them one time.

Does that sound reasonable or am I off in my thinking?

No, it may be a good idea, but unless you plan to develop and print photos yourself, you may as well use the D3200 in black and white mode, or convert your colour shots into monochrome. That will be a lot less trouble. You can get good moody effects in monochrome.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I want to try developing my own film. The technical challenge interests me.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 07, 2019, 11:39:06 PM
I want to try developing my own film. The technical challenge interests me.

Do you have a suitable darkroom area with running water? For black and white film developing and printing, a red light is OK. For colour work you have to grope around in total darkness, but I guess you've had lots of practice in that. Better to start with black and white in my experience.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I can use the bathroom for a darkroom. That gives me running water and a place to work. I could even swap to a red light.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 08, 2019, 04:36:15 AM
I can use the bathroom for a darkroom. That gives me running water and a place to work. I could even swap to a red light.

Don't forget a good extractor fan as well. The chemicals are quite smelly.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

jumbojak

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 25, 2019, 02:10:18 PM
That's brilliant.

I have an old Leica slide projector I can use for this; I just have to get it back from my ex's house. But must remember not to put all my exes in one basket.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

It looks like my D3200 is beginning to die. The display in the viewfinder is failing and manual composition is becoming more and more difficult. The light meter is particularly troublesome to see.

So, I'm considering a new camera body and a possible switch from the SLR to mirrorless. It would be a new platform but the video options are much nicer. I've been experimenting with video lately and I think I like it.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 01, 2019, 03:28:31 PM
It looks like my D3200 is beginning to die. The display in the viewfinder is failing and manual composition is becoming more and more difficult. The light meter is particularly troublesome to see.

So, I'm considering a new camera body and a possible switch from the SLR to mirrorless. It would be a new platform but the video options are much nicer. I've been experimenting with video lately and I think I like it.

It may be just a simple, cheap repair, so let a Nikon-accredited repair centre check it out. I called Nikon South Africa a few days ago to ask whether I could book my D600 in for a sensor clean, because I am terrified of doing it myself. They told me to just bring it in and they would clean it properly at no charge to me.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

The nearest repair center is ten hours away. I requested a quote but with fifty or so dollars in round trip shipping I'm not too hopeful it will be cost effective to send it for repair.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 01, 2019, 05:58:39 PM
The nearest repair center is ten hours away. I requested a quote but with fifty or so dollars in round trip shipping I'm not too hopeful it will be cost effective to send it for repair.

That's too bad. I guess I am lucky to be close to everything.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

And it's funny that you find so much convenience in Africa!